News Forum - Domestic tourism stimulus scheme gets 9-billion-baht budget approval for phase 4

Thaiger

49 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

I think you missed my point.  One minute they are shaking your hand with incentives to come. the next minute they are slapping you in the face with two covid tests, longer quarantine periods, closing bars, limiting the sale of alcohol past 9 pm.  

They should make up their minds.  Either you want tourists and have a comprehensive program to entice them to come and that includes making it easier to arrive and have things to do when you get here.  Alternatively, shut down the country tell the foreigners you don't want them here and let the country continue to slide into economic morass. 

I disagree with both, but they're  aimed at two different targets.  One is for tourist arrivals from overseas, the other is domestic tourism.

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Be careful that's the potential savings not the room rate. A room that goes for 2500 baht/ night could cost you 1500 baht/ night and that's probably rack rate. 

I usually get a deal contacting them directly. April-May except Songkran is not high season so you might find deals. 

It's good they are promoting things but I manage best on my own. You could have your wife contact a friend or relative in Thailand to make a direct contact. 

Yes I looked at some of the deals from last year and didn't look all that discounted 

We do enjoy 5 star hotels when travelling but I have a ton of points

So unless it is a very good discount to be worth paying out of pocket

I'd use points

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

A good point. However, I took what was stated below as correct:

I wonder if the Pink ID might work?
Did anyone try registering with one for this promotion on previous incarnations of this?

The above comment suggests it might be worth a try? 

We used all our ten nights in the last ‘promotion’. There was also some deal on the food. 

We never found that hotels upped their price before discounting YMMV.

zOK

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mynemesis said:

We used all our ten nights in the last ‘promotion’. There was also some deal on the food. 

We never found that hotels upped their price before discounting YMMV.

zOK

Thanks for the post.

I take it your not Thai, but your wife is?
So you were given the Thai price as well, from you wife using the App? Did any of the hotel staff query it at all?

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Thanks for the post.

So you were given the Thai price as well, from you wife using the App? Did any of the hotel staff query it at all?

Wouldn't your wife just book the room for 2 people?

So there is no "giving" any Thai price

She booked the hotel and will pay for it 

I don't see why they would question anything

Even if you were just bf/gf

The Thai is booking the room 

Just like if we use a discount I have when booking a hotel 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Wouldn't your wife just book the room for 2 people?

So there is no "giving" any Thai price

She booked the hotel and will pay for it 

I don't see why they would question anything

Even if you were just bf/gf

The Thai is booking the room 

Just like if we use a discount I have when booking a hotel 

I agree with you. However, aren't you using ferang logic in this? 🤣
I was asking others what their experience had been previously, so I might be aware of any questions that might come up.

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I agree with you. However, aren't you using ferang logic in this? 🤣
I was asking others what their experience had been previously, so I might be aware of any questions that might come up.

I still don't see a scenario where your wife/gf books a room for 2 people and pays for it and you both show up to check-in and have an issue, with them saying the farang isn't allowed to stay 

It is the same as any booking as a couple 

One person makes it, 2 stay in in room 

11 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Thanks for the post.

Yes

She just did the booking, rooms are normally for two people.

Never ever queried. Guess that they realised we were married as she carried the case lol 

it should be the same if you take a GF, but she would have to use her allowance, but it probably wouldn’t work with a slot operated friend.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I still don't see a scenario where your wife/gf books a room for 2 people and pays for it and you both show up to check-in and have an issue, with them saying the farang isn't allowed to stay 

It is the same as any booking as a couple 

One person makes it, 2 stay in in room 

Not 'isn't allowed to stay', but they might try to charge me more. I don't know, that was the whole point of asking.

Not 'isn't allowed to stay', but they might try to charge me more. I don't know, that was the whole point of asking.

I think you will be good ....

We will be likely using this and I don't forsee any issues at all 

You're looking for a problem where there is none.

It's a system for Thais who book hotel rooms - that's all it is.

One room per Thai with an app.

If it's a single room, it's for one person (the one booking with the app and paying), if it's a double room it's for two people including the one booking the room with the app and paying, etc.

How hard can that be?

Does anyone know the answer to this or have any knowledge of this

My wife and her MIL are saying they aren't eligible for the hotel discount because they took other govt handouts in another program?

Is that correct?

That doesn't sound like that would be the case 

PS....My wife and MIL are wimps and say they aren't allowed to do anything or eligible for anything, but we always fund out they are 

Thanks 

• 2 months later...

So we are using this program for my trip in a couple weeks and it has been fantastic 

I've actually done all the communicating with the hotel and tell them my wife or stepson will be making the actual booking

I'd say over 4-5 hotels and about 15 nights we will save close to $2k cad....50k baht 

Plus, some hotels give resort credits/nt

It's well worth using if you have a Thai family or expat with a Thai ID, and plan on traveling in May

The deals were so good, I actually canceled some bookings I made with points because I was getting such a good deal with this program I'd rather save the points for later 

• 3 weeks later...

I know most on here don't care about positive news 

But we been using this program

Will use it for 20 nights total this trip

It's been great

Completely streamlined, the check-in staff is well versed on it

Booking they are very knowledgeable 

I've seen many times using the App when they are checking in