News Forum - Deadline to apply for 60-day “Covid” visa extension pushed to March 25

Thaiger

While there has been no formal announcement, it appears the deadline to apply for the 60-day “Covid” visa extension scheme has been pushed to March 25. The deadline was set for today, but a signed document from Thai Immigration leaked last night shows that foreigners can now apply for the visa extension for another two months. The visa extension scheme is intended for foreigners who cannot leave Thailand due to cancelled flights and travel restrictions related to the ongoing pandemic. The scheme has been extended numerous times, and an announcement has typically been made at the last minute, sometimes even […]

The story Deadline to apply for 60-day “Covid” visa extension pushed to March 25 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I was in immigration yesterday to renew my marriage visa. Everything was slammed and chaotic they had turned me away on Friday already as it was getting too late in the day and yesterday was the last day on my stamp. The total process took 12 hours I thought I printed up everything in advance but was missing two pages. Line for the photocopier was over 45 minutes, then closed for lunch, then 45 minutes again. Then was told to come back tomorrow again I explained my visa was expiring they gave me the absolute last ticket of the day out of sympathy. A two hour wait from there. I didn't get my passport back until after 6:00 PM but I did not feel like coming back again today to pick it up! I really wish they wouldn't slam all this stuff in at the absolute last minute: they were telling Covid extension folks to arrive at 5 AM!

16 minutes ago, AmySukwan said:

I was in immigration yesterday to renew my marriage visa. Everything was slammed and chaotic they had turned me away on Friday already as it was getting too late in the day and yesterday was the last day on my stamp. The total process took 12 hours I thought I printed up everything in advance but was missing two pages. Line for the photocopier was over 45 minutes, then closed for lunch, then 45 minutes again. Then was told to come back tomorrow again I explained my visa was expiring they gave me the absolute last ticket of the day out of sympathy. A two hour wait from there. I didn't get my passport back until after 6:00 PM but I did not feel like coming back again today to pick it up! I really wish they wouldn't slam all this stuff in at the absolute last minute: they were telling Covid extension folks to arrive at 5 AM!

Do marriage visa's have a specific dates you have to renew between? If not could you have gone earlier in the month? 

I tend to avoid the immigration office right near the covid extension due date, it's usually packed.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the state of emergency was extended for 2 months, so it makes sense they would extend this program as well... But it seems clear they are sending a message... As it continues to get harder and harder to get the full 60 day extension (particularly if you have been getting them for 12+ months concurrently). Don't get sideways... Plan your long stay strategy using some other method than "60 day covid extensions into perpetuate" - because that will leave you hanging when they do cancel this program. Just my opinions.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dj230 said:

Do marriage visa's have a specific dates you have to renew between? If not could you have gone earlier in the month? 

I tend to avoid the immigration office right near the covid extension due date, it's usually packed.

I could have come in earlier last week but I had no idea about the Covid emergency visa thing. Plus I needed a new passport so I couldn't go until that arrived in the mail. Sometimes it's quite easy to get things early. For me they usually send me home for missing something or other so I find it's best to make it a whole day affair. I'm sure  they love me. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2022 at 5:28 AM, Cabra said:

If I remember correctly, the state of emergency was extended for 2 months, so it makes sense they would extend this program as well... But it seems clear they are sending a message... As it continues to get harder and harder to get the full 60 day extension (particularly if you have been getting them for 12+ months concurrently). Don't get sideways... Plan your long stay strategy using some other method than "60 day covid extensions into perpetuate" - because that will leave you hanging when they do cancel this program. Just my opinions.

We left Mexico last July and had been travelling Europe and Africa until mid November. We decided to  come to Thailand and hunker down until more of Asia opens, so after a 30 day visa exemption, a 30 day tourist visa, then a 60 day Covid emergency extension, this March 25 limit is perfect. We can extend another 60 when our present visa expires mid March till mid May. If things aren't improving, we'll just go back to Mexico and continue our travels later. Given our particular visa needs and circumstance, this is perfect.

• 1 month later...

From the article of this thread - part of the required checklist for COVID extensions is:

"A letter from home country’s embassy in Thailand"

Can anybody comment on this?  A letter saying what?  This is super vague 😅