Jump to content

News Forum - American retail giant Walmart shows interest in Laos


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Walmart might be moving to Laos. An American multinational retail conglomerate, best known for its hypermarket and grocery store chains across the States, has shown its interest in Laos as a group of Lao-Americans met yesterday, including the Lao Overseas Affairs Department and the Lao National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LNCCI), to discuss investment in Laos. The team, led by Lao-American businesswoman Supha Xayprasith-Mays from the Walmart group, arrived in Laos to promote business between the two countries and reportedly met with Oudet Souvannavong, President of the LNCCI, to explore ideas and the prospects for American corporations to invest in […]

The story American retail giant Walmart shows interest in Laos as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Walmart might be moving to Laos. An American multinational retail conglomerate, best known for its hypermarket and grocery store chains across the States, has shown its interest in Laos as a group of Lao-Americans met yesterday, including the Lao Overseas Affairs Department and the Lao National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LNCCI), to discuss investment in Laos. The team, led by Lao-American businesswoman Supha Xayprasith-Mays from the Walmart group, arrived in Laos to promote business between the two countries and reportedly met with Oudet Souvannavong, President of the LNCCI, to explore ideas and the prospects for American corporations to invest in […]

The story American retail giant Walmart shows interest in Laos as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Can't Laos get their fill of Chinese made goods already? 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Vince said:

Can't Laos get their fill of Chinese made goods already? 

Obviously not. Discerning fellows the Laotians. 😀

  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Obviously not. Discerning fellows the Laotians. 😀

Indeed they are. 

Expecting another failed attempt of Western corporate civilising mission. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rain said:

Indeed they are. 

Expecting another failed attempt of Western corporate civilising mission. 🤔

You mean instead of American style/ branded Chinese made goods they'll want, say, Japanese style/branded Chinese made goods, like Uniqlo maybe? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vince said:

You mean instead of American style/ branded Chinese made goods they'll want, say, Japanese style/branded Chinese made goods, like Uniqlo maybe? 

seems like taking the long way round to get the same chinese junk

  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

seems like taking the long way round to get the same chinese junk

No pun intended for "junk" ? 🤠

But yes, Walmart, like Amazon (and others) are often just vendors of re-branded versions of Chinese products (like our American branded Chinese iPhones, etc).  

But maybe Uncle Xi needs some help making the last mile logistics of product delivery more palatable and timely? 

 

  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow Thailand will lose a lot of retail business! The young lady of the house says many Laotians come here shopping !

Im jealous  !  Love Walmart, they not only have Chinese junk , they have 
Central and South American as well and a tinge of eastern europe

  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, riclag said:

Wow Thailand will lose a lot of retail business! The young lady of the house says many Laotians come here shopping !

Im jealous  !  Love Walmart, they not only have Chinese junk , they have 
Central and South American as well and a tinge of eastern europe

Variety is the spice of life, so I'm told.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Supporting ever increasing centralized corporatism is insanity. First it was the Brits, now its the Yanks. Ever heard of the parable of the Camel In The Tent?

"We take the best ideas from someone else."

- Sam Walton Founder of Walmart

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Supporting ever increasing centralized corporatism is insanity. First it was the Brits, now its the Yanks. Ever heard of the parable of the Camel In The Tent?

"We take the best ideas from someone else."

- Sam Walton Founder of Walmart

And we should live in a decentralized federation of anarchist communes, bartering locally made eco-friendly goods made from worms and recycled toilet paper rolls instead? 

Sign me up! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Vince said:

And we should live in a decentralized federation of anarchist communes, bartering locally made eco-friendly goods made from worms and recycled toilet paper rolls instead? 

Sign me up! 

Hey... you live out in the village too? Absolutely, the way my Blackfoot, American indian grandmother's ancestors used to live... I'll take the village market over a Walmart any day. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
additional
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Hey... you live out in the village too? Absolutely... I'll take the village market over a Walmart any day. 

The village market where they drive to Laos and buy stuff from Walmart and then sell it to you for a small markup? Sure! Me too! 

Who wants to drive to Laos if they don't have to? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vince said:

The village market where they drive to Laos and buy stuff from Walmart and then sell it to you for a small markup? Sure! Me too! 

Who wants to drive to Laos if they don't have to? 

Exactly... who needs yet another middleman? Not me. Btw, I love my Chinese Hawaiian and Polo shirts. Lol. And those track suits, you'll never find those at a Walmart. Lol. 

  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Exactly... who needs yet another middleman? Not me. Btw, I love my Chinese Hawaiian and Polo shirts. Lol. And those track suits, you'll never find those at a Walmart. Lol. 

Agreed! Who needs another Chinese made Ramones shirt from Walmart? Not me! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Walmart approached Thailand 20 years ago. They were going to build two pilot stores. After negations

Walmart pulled out claiming  " Cultural differences". Meaning no tea money. Thailand responded with

" No ticky no laundry".  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, joseph said:

Walmart approached Thailand 20 years ago. They were going to build two pilot stores. After negations

Walmart pulled out claiming  " Cultural differences". Meaning no tea money. Thailand responded with

" No ticky no laundry".  

Its a good thing Walmart found Laos, I hear there is 💯% no corruption there. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use