News Forum - Motorbike rider seriously injured after crashing into a parked truck in Chon Buri

Thaiger

Yesterday, a woman in Chon Buri crashed her motorbike into a parked car in Nong Maidang sub-district. The woman, identified as 33 year old Roongruedee Krairatchimplee, has sustained serious head and face injuries, and was in severe pain. Emergency services rushed Roongruedee to the local hospital. The accident happened on a bypass road. Reports do not say if the motorbike rider was wearing a helmet. Police are investigating whether it was legal or not for the truck’s driver to have parked where he did. So far, there have been no legal charges. The driver, 41 year old Wichanchai Sukpana, says […]

The story Motorbike rider seriously injured after crashing into a parked truck in Chon Buri as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sorry to hear the lady sustained severe head and face injuries, but you generally get those if you’re not wearing a helmet. Sure if it’s an open face helmet you could get face injuries, but the head part is less likely. Hopefully speed and/or distracted driving wasn’t involved. 
I find it a bit crazy to pass the blame onto the truck owner though

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Graham said:

Sounds like another driver, eyes wide shut, just another everyday occurrence in Thailand unfortunately, nobody seems to learn.

Yes, I'm not sure what the 'news' is supposed to be.

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

In 2017, Thailand had the highest rate of deaths from road accidents in the world, according to World Atlas.

That was five years ago, and not in the source article.

Recent studies consistently put the figure for the last three years at around 12,000 per year or half that rate - still not good, but nowhere as near as bad.

I not surprise they just not look or are busy with other things today i see a grap driver typing on his phone slowly get in the wrong lane a car from the other side start hunk the horn and move to the side of the road they just dont care i see the weirdest things every day against trafic just stop for nothing dubble park blinker left but go right 

Just very sad. I can only hope the driver of the motorbike manages to make full recovery. There is insufficient evidence in this report to make any conclusions....

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Recent studies consistently put the figure for the last three years at around 12,000 per year or half that rate - still not good, but nowhere as near as bad.

To put that in content, you need to know one thing:

A road death is just a road feath, if dead on the spot or arrived dead at the hospital. In Thailand. Or is dying at the same day of the accident, in the hospital, that might be.

But if they die in the OR, or a couple of days later, the statistic is not seeing it.

Or how do you think, thry got 50% down, in cases over only a couple of years. With this growing chaos on the roads?

Was again, somewhere in the media, lately, for the "days of danger" count over new year.

8 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

To put that in content, you need to know one thing:

A road death is just a road feath, if dead on the spot or arrived dead at the hospital. In Thailand. Or is dying at the same day of the accident, in the hospital, that might be.

But if they die in the OR, or a couple of days later, the statistic is not seeing it.

Or how do you think, thry got 50% down, in cases over only a couple of years. With this growing chaos on the roads?

Was again, somewhere in the media, lately, for the "days of danger" count over new year.

Sorry, that's not correct - the stats are based on death within 28 days of the accident.

I posted links elsewhere to the UN / WHO stats for 2019, which were the most recent, but they disappeared - if I have time I'll look them up again.

... and FWIW, there isn't "growing chaos on the roads" - due to the Covid restrictions, there's actually a lot less.

1 hour ago, Prosaap said:

blinker left but go right

Up country it's more 'blinker right but go left' - there's a tendency for motorbikes to indicate right but pull off the road to the left until it's clear.

All a bit confusing until you're used to it 😂.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, that's not correct - the stats are based on death within 28 days of the accident.

I posted links elsewhere to the UN / WHO stats for 2019, which were the most recent, but they disappeared - if I have time I'll look them up again.

And who provides these statistics to the UN/WHO? …… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

Sorry to hear the lady sustained severe head and face injuries, but you generally get those if you’re not wearing a helmet. Sure if it’s an open face helmet you could get face injuries, but the head part is less likely.

Less likely but the plastic buckets masquerading as helmets in Thailand are skid guards at best, open or full face. There’s a reason quality internationally certified helmets cost 10,000- 20,000 baht  and that’s got a lot to do with superior materials, construction and TESTING. You only get one head so it’s worth the best you can afford. 

Edited by Fanta
Pricing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

... and FWIW, there isn't "growing chaos on the roads" - due to the Covid restrictions, there's actually a lot less.

I am on Phuket. I mean, the only chaos that is missing, are the many tour busses. But crazy Farang on motos, plus ALL OF THE "work" drivers, plus every one of the locals back on Moto or car: Phuket traffic is as crazy as it was  before 2019. Just the last amount of vehicles is missing.  But perhaps I just see it that way, 'cause I had the best 1-1.5 years on Phukets roads, before Oct. last year!

To the statistic: I can't find the articles, where it was last time (afaik) mentioned, that lots of road death are missing in the statistics, b/c of "death in hospital", not on the road.  As I mentioned before, that was connected to a new years campaign, someone explained the even  lower death toll over the new years period, compared to the "normal days", this way!

4 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

Sorry to hear the lady sustained severe head and face injuries, but you generally get those if you’re not wearing a helmet. Sure if it’s an open face helmet you could get face injuries, but the head part is less likely. Hopefully speed and/or distracted driving wasn’t involved. 
I find it a bit crazy to pass the blame onto the truck owner though

Good point. But if it was low visibility (rain,night) and parked on a shoulder or curve, a person could hit it without any road markers (flares, lights, signd) showing an obstruction ahead. 

Sad avoidable tragedy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Less likely but the plastic buckets masquerading as helmets in Thailand are skid guards at best, open or full face. There’s a reason quality internationally certified helmets cost 10,000- 20,000 baht  and that’s got a lot to do with superior materials, construction and TESTING. You only get one head so it’s worth the best you can afford. 

Certainly the 300 baht motorbike helmets at Lotus are not much. Better than nothing, but not anything compared to what we are accustomed to in the West.

If the cops were so concerned about the position of the truck, maybe they could have been proactive and got someone to move it, but that usually prefer to show up after accidents and come up with a crack sharp assessment of what happened 😕

You can get your daily dose of "watch this accident" on ThaiRath TV32... it's truly jaw dropping what happens on Thai roadways in the ongoing battle of bike vs. car/truck/heavy equipment

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

You can get your daily dose of "watch this accident" on ThaiRath TV32... it's truly jaw dropping what happens on Thai roadways in the ongoing battle of bike vs. car/truck/heavy equipment

Fun! And they wear masks while reading the news! 

• Haha 1