News Forum - Government mulls legalising e-cigarettes to reduce number of cigarette smokers

Thaiger

A Thai government ministry is discussing the legalisation of e-cigarettes in a bid to reduce the number of cigarette smokers in the country. According to a Nation Thailand report, the Digital Economy and Society Ministry wants to be able to offer smokers an alternative to cigarettes. The development has been welcomed by Asa Salikupt from the End Cigarette Smoke Thailand network. He says the ECST coalition supports DES Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn as he considers making e-cigarettes legal. The ECST says that not only can e-cigarettes offer smokers a safe alternative, the Excise Department can also benefit from a tax on […]

The story Government mulls legalising e-cigarettes to reduce number of cigarette smokers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The e-juices (that's what they call the liquids) should be regulated, god knows what do they put inside them by small scale manufacturers/home brewers. 

• Like 1

This topic is something I have very definite views about. I vape. I was a smoker since I was 18 and about 3 years ago a friend introduced me to vaping. Once I started, I never smoked again. But wait, I went on holiday to Thailand. vaping is illegal, so the only way to satisfy the nicotine monster was to smoke again! Thankfully cigarettes are a lot cheaper in Thailand. (About AUD $5 a packet. In Australia they are AUD $45 a packet). So as soon as I got off the plane and home, I binned the smokes and went back to vaping. Thailand, can you please legalise vaping? I never want to smoke a cigarette again, but your antivaping policy makes that impossible.

For non smokers, I think you could be on my side. No one likes cigarette smoke and how awful it smells. No one has complained to me about the smell of vape liquid. In fact some comment it is not offensive at all...quite the contrary. The nicotine in the liquid is controlled by me, not some cigarette company. I can reduce it at will. Interestingly, nicotine is a drug that gives you a hit, without increasing the amount of nicotine to give you that hit, unlike many other drugs which require higher doses to achieve the same result. I know the long term effects of vaping are unknown as it's so new. By all means ban it for the young, if you will. But for long term smokers, it is a real replacement for smoking. So legalise it! (Please legalise it by March 2022 when I'm coming to Thailand).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jason said:

This topic is something I have very definite views about. I vape. I was a smoker since I was 18 and about 3 years ago a friend introduced me to vaping. Once I started, I never smoked again. But wait, I went on holiday to Thailand. vaping is illegal, so the only way to satisfy the nicotine monster was to smoke again! Thankfully cigarettes are a lot cheaper in Thailand. (About AUD $5 a packet. In Australia they are AUD $45 a packet). So as soon as I got off the plane and home, I binned the smokes and went back to vaping. Thailand, can you please legalise vaping? I never want to smoke a cigarette again, but your antivaping policy makes that impossible.

For non smokers, I think you could be on my side. No one likes cigarette smoke and how awful it smells. No one has complained to me about the smell of vape liquid. In fact some comment it is not offensive at all...quite the contrary. The nicotine in the liquid is controlled by me, not some cigarette company. I can reduce it at will. Interestingly, nicotine is a drug that gives you a hit, without increasing the amount of nicotine to give you that hit, unlike many other drugs which require higher doses to achieve the same result. I know the long term effects of vaping are unknown as it's so new. By all means ban it for the young, if you will. But for long term smokers, it is a real replacement for smoking. So legalise it! (Please legalise it by March 2022 when I'm coming to Thailand).

I feel that even though there are groups of people in the government who would really like to legalize vaping on health grounds, another group on the other hand would not be so happy to see the a reduction of revenue from tobacco tax as a consequence of people switching from ciggies to vapes.

Cigarettes  are much easier to regulate tax-wise as they are mostly monopolized by just a handful of gigantic companies, not the case with vapes especially the juices since they can be home made so that's a loss of tax revenue for the government.

10 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

The e-juices (that's what they call the liquids) should be regulated, god knows what do they put inside them by small scale manufacturers/home brewers. 

Indeed. And if the nicotine dosage amounts aren't clearly labelled it's just another delivery system, not a reduction method. Assuming reduction means tapering not "reduction by killing smokers faster" 😼

And the flavors added have been linked to some undesirable lung effects. 

27 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

its about time, but not sure anything will come of it.  there is no legitimate reason for vapes to be banned.  

It's a health hazard? I'm guessing it's seen as a drug delivery system (THC, etc)? 

But if Thailand banned all significant health hazards the motorbike would be banned too, I think. And alcohol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Long term vaping use is a good argument against legalization. It's then just another drug delivery system. 

And nicotine tolerance does exist. 

10 hours ago, Vince said:

Indeed. And if the nicotine dosage amounts aren't clearly labelled it's just another delivery system, not a reduction method. Assuming reduction means tapering not "reduction by killing smokers faster" 😼

Imagine som tam or tom yum flavor getting into the lungs... 🤣

20 hours ago, Vince said:

It's a health hazard? I'm guessing it's seen as a drug delivery system (THC, etc)? 

But if Thailand banned all significant health hazards the motorbike would be banned too, I think. And alcohol. 

Yea, its not good for you but so far doesnt seem any worse than alcohol, cigarettes, or plenty of other legal ways to slowly kill yourself.  

• Like 1

Just now, MrNovax said:

Yea, its not good for you but so far doesnt seem any worse than alcohol, cigarettes, or plenty of other legal ways to slowly kill yourself.  

Oddly enough, and I agree totally with your point, that kind of rigorous thinking isn't applied to many laws. 

Cardiovascular disease - a top killer in many countries - is ignored or given lip service, while fly by night pandemics which barely equal their death tolls require massive changes in how we do everything. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:30 PM, Vince said:

After smoking cigarettes for 30 years i start smoking e-cigarettes. After a few months i quit also e-cigs. 

I think it's the best way to quit smoking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dandan said:

After smoking cigarettes for 30 years i start smoking e-cigarettes. After a few months i quit also e-cigs. 

I think it's the best way to quit smoking.

I agree and I think its possible. 

Simply legalizing vaping isnt the same as making it a system that is likely to help people to quit.

You can be a lifelong vaping addict as well.