News Forum - Red tape remains for foreign retirees in Thailand

Thaiger

The requirements are pretty easy as long as you can show adiquate financials. Non O based on retirement has never been able to work as far as I know.

The only thing hard is to have enough money. I use Kasikorn bank and they are well aware of the documentation needed.

Chill out, it’s easy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swissguy said:

Do I have to wear a red ribbon now because of the mask you can't see I'm a farang. I think the lmmigration like more the money then the farang. Farang can not buy Land in thailand. But in many other countrys a rich thai can buy Land. Also in Switzerland. When thailand will change that, then more invest is coming. But corruption is easyier 

To make that happen, all countries should/ need only allow equally to Thais (and other restricted countries), what they allow foreigners in Thailand. Isn't rocket science, you get, what you offer.

Just the west is liberal and is therefore going down, this century!

12 minutes ago, MikeW said:

So why did I have to go to immigration turn in paperwork and pay them money to get a letter giving me permission to buy or sell a car and then another one to give the land transportation office to get a license 

The former I can't even guess at - there's just no need for a foreigner to have "permission" to buy or sell a car, from or to anyone,  and I can't imagine what you did with it or who you gave it to.

I'm guessing the latter wasn't "permission" to get a licence but was simply confirmation of your address, which you could also have got from your Embassy.

Maybe whoever was explaining things to you mis-translated something.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

To make that happen, all countries should/ need only allow equally to Thais (and other restricted countries), what they allow foreigners in Thailand. Isn't rocket science, you get, what you offer.

Just the west is liberal and is therefore going down, this century!

... and vice-versa, presumably?

I won't hold my breath while my Thai friends wait for their visas on arrival and retirement extensions ... 😂

16 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The requirements are pretty easy as long as you can show adiquate financials. Non O based on retirement has never been able to work as far as I know.

The only thing hard is to have enough money. I use Kasikorn bank and they are well aware of the documentation needed.

Chill out, it’s easy.

I think you may have missed a word or something out there (see bold) - I've been on retirement extensions for my Non Imm O for a long time, as have many others I know, with no problems.

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I won't hold my breath while my Thai friends wait for their visas on arrival and retirement extensions ... 😂

Stonker, you are right. But then again is your country as small as Thailand with as many Tourists (pre-covid)?

And many countries are paying the price for generous immigration policy. I think even Brexit had something to do with that issue.- to name only one country. 

Maybe Thailand is being incredibly wise in treating tourists with a wee bit of caution? 

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Visa on arrival?

Are you from Brazil?

The west gets exempt entries, no visa needed!

And: Usually every immigration officer can ask for you fundings, to see if you have enough money, to stay.

So yes, vice versa would work for me.

So for the retirement visas, too: 

If a Thai can show the adequate money, income in average of 5 1/2 times the minimum pay of my homecountry, he/she can get her retirement visa. No ploblem there

2 hours ago, Vince said:

New visas have work options. 

I think we may be talking at cross purposes.

I quoted and replied to @Grant who wrote "countries like Cambodia , let you have retirement Visa’s and also allow you to work!" who was incorrect as Cambodia's retirement visa doesn't allow you to work.

You, though, seem to be talking about the proposal for the new visas in Thailand.

I think we're somehow talking about two different visas for two different countries.

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I think we may be talking at cross purposes.

I quoted and replied to @Grant who wrote "countries like Cambodia , let you have retirement Visa’s and also allow you to work!" who was incorrect as Cambodia's retirement visa doesn't allow you to work.

You, though, seem to be talking about the proposal for the new visas in Thailand.

I think we're somehow talking about two different visas for two different countries.

Good catch, probably my mistake. 

I think "work restrictions" is ambiguous, at least in my casual ready, as to whether it means "work in Thailand" or "Work anywhere at all" (i.e. remotely outside of Thailand, serving non-Thai customers, etc).  

Sure someone here has an opinion...!?

Also maybe this deserves its own topic?.

Although "red tape for foreign retirees" is a lot of room for on-topic discussion :-) 

5 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Visa on arrival?

Are you from Brazil?

The west gets exempt entries, no visa needed!

And: Usually every immigration officer can ask for you fundings, to see if you have enough money, to stay.

So yes, vice versa would work for me.

So for the retirement visas, too: 

If a Thai can show the adequate money, income in average of 5 1/2 times the minimum pay of my homecountry, he/she can get her retirement visa. No ploblem there

I've no idea what your home-country is, but I don't know anywhere in 'the West' where Thais are visa exempt, or where they get a retirement extension / visa with no proof of income and just for having 400 - 800k in the bank, as westerners do here.

That's what 'vice-versa' means - that these things work both ways on all levels, not just the ones you want.

2 minutes ago, Vince said:

Good catch, probably my mistake. 

I think "work restrictions" is ambiguous, at least in my casual ready, as to whether it means "work in Thailand" or "Work anywhere at all" (i.e. remotely outside of Thailand, serving non-Thai customers, etc).  

Sure someone here has an opinion...!?

Also maybe this deserves its own topic?.

Although "red tape for foreign retirees" is a lot of room for on-topic discussion :-) 

Sorry, I'm completely lost.

I was replying to @Grant, whom I quoted, about visas in Cambodia.

Nothing to do with whatever it is you're saying.

26 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Chill out, it’s easy.

Incredibly Easy. As No “ Financials” or “ Red Tape” Required.

Agents legally “waive” all those humiliating Imm. “rules” to which I object & never comply. Based here 17 years with Thai House-Wife-Child -Rent Income.

Never shown a single bank statement to Imm. My Agent is a Snr. Imm. O though……Nobody but myself controls my money.

• Like 1

There was no mention in the article or in the comments of the new health insurance requirement for the O-A visa - the applicant or visa holder must have health insurance with coverage not less than 40,000 baht for outpatient and not less than 400,000 baht for inpatient medical fees. This kind of insurance tends to get more expensive with age and may force some retirees out of Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, I'm completely lost.

I was replying to @Grant, whom I quoted, about visas in Cambodia.

Nothing to do with whatever it is you're saying.

Well nevermind then? 

tenor.gif.3563d3aaea35f21e87968d7623449e69.gif

12 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I've no idea what your home-country is, but I don't know anywhere in 'the West' where Thais are visa exempt, or where they get a retirement extension / visa with no proof of income and just for having 400 - 800k in the bank, as westerners do here.

That's what 'vice-versa' means - that these things work both ways on all levels, not just the ones you want.

So you not counting Russia (not my country) as a west country? Because that is the only country outside Asia (afaik), laying partly in asia ;-), where Thais can get in, just hop on a plane!

And yes, vice versa was it, what I wrote: 

As soon Thais proof enough money, just like foreigners in Thailand,  meaning ENOUGH, to survive in the western country, by the same rules, like foreigners in Thailand, why not?

I know, that it is not like that, now. But doing all equal, they could start with that, 2morrow, I wouldn't care!

That Thai immigration is not asking tourists to show the money for the exempt entry requirements, up2tem. But they can. And they have in the past. Sometimes!

So why shouldn't EU-Immigration officers ask " You stay is 30 days? Can I see the 3 thousand Euro, please?" And, right now: Do you have a 50.000 US$ Health insurance?

Also, every Thai who can proof 3-4 times the income of minimum pay from my country, SHOULD get a visa in the Embassy.  And, in most cases, such people get them.  Trust me!

Also, if they wanna retire in my country, I would not have a problem with that: 

800kBaht for me, in a bank here, or 65k income, from retirement, that would be about 50-60k on an bank, or an income of about 5-6k EURO/month.

So why not? Wealthy Thais can go anywhere, anyway!

We were talking about handling equally, right? So let them feel the rac.., eh, double pricing, they deliver to foreigners.

46 minutes ago, Vince said:

Stonker, you are right. But then again is your country as small as Thailand with as many Tourists (pre-covid)?

And many countries are paying the price for generous immigration policy. I think even Brexit had something to do with that issue.- to name only one country. 

Maybe Thailand is being incredibly wise in treating tourists with a wee bit of caution? 

In the case of the UK, similar population and tourists, for Aus a bigger country but less of both.

I just think this whole 'parity' / 'reciprocal' argument is absurd.

You can't pick and choose - "we let you do 'a' so you should let us do 'a' too" doesn't work unless it applies across the board.

• Cool 1

8 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

So you not counting Russia (not my country) as a west country? Because that is the only country outside Asia (afaik), laying partly in asia ;-), where Thais can get in, just hop on a plane!

And yes, vice versa was it, what I wrote: 

As soon Thais proof enough money, just like foreigners in Thailand,  meaning ENOUGH, to survive in the western country, by the same rules, like foreigners in Thailand, why not?

I know, that it is not like that, now. But doing all equal, they could start with that, 2morrow, I wouldn't care!

That Thai immigration is not asking tourists to show the money for the exempt entry requirements, up2tem. But they can. And they have in the past. Sometimes!

So why shouldn't EU-Immigration officers ask " You stay is 30 days? Can I see the 3 thousand Euro, please?" And, right now: Do you have a 50.000 US$ Health insurance?

Also, every Thai who can proof 3-4 times the income of minimum pay from my country, SHOULD get a visa in the Embassy.  And, in most cases, such people get them.  Trust me!

Also, if they wanna retire in my country, I would not have a problem with that: 

800kBaht for me, in a bank here, or 65k income, from retirement, that would be about 50-60k on an bank, or an income of about 5-6k EURO/month.

So why not? Wealthy Thais can go anywhere, anyway!

We were talking about handling equally, right? So let them feel the rac.., eh, double pricing, they deliver to foreigners.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Sorry 😢.

29 minutes ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

There was no mention in the article or in the comments of the new health insurance requirement for the O-A visa - the applicant or visa holder must have health insurance with coverage not less than 40,000 baht for outpatient and not less than 400,000 baht for inpatient medical fees. This kind of insurance tends to get more expensive with age and may force some retirees out of Thailand.

Umm ... alternatively they can just get an 'O' visa 😉

Just now, Stonker said:

In the case of the UK, similar population and tourists, for Aus a bigger country but less of both.

I just think this whole 'parity' / 'reciprocal' argument is absurd.

You can't pick and choose - "we let you do 'a' so you should let us do 'a' too" doesn't work unless it applies across the board.

I think we agree? :-) 

818175091_tenor(1).gif.2397682a07b47ee17527788566bc2224.gif

35 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Incredibly Easy. As No “ Financials” or “ Red Tape” Required.

Agents legally “waive” all those humiliating Imm. “rules” to which I object & never comply. Based here 17 years with Thai House-Wife-Child -Rent Income.

Never shown a single bank statement to Imm. My Agent is a Snr. Imm. O though……Nobody but myself controls my money.

Up to you, but for most of us that's a bit weird as we simply don't need or want to pay an agent whom you're then obliged to continue paying indefinitely unless you leave, die, or start again from scratch.

Personally getting tied to an agent is the last thing I'd do, but if you're happy with that, good luck.

10 hours ago, Vince said:

I feel your pain. But is your* country really without inefficient (even corrupt or incompetent) bureaucracy? 

(* And I'm not asking, it's a rhetorical question).

No

Not at all when it comes to visa/immigration process

Canada all done on line, get prompt messages when more info needed or when they have updates

Both US/Canada, you get extended visas and they leave you alone 

My wife has a 10 year US visa

She's probably entered the US 80x

She may have been asked more than the usual "where are you going? How long you staying?" 2 or 3x

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Sorry 😢.

I get that you can't understand it! No worries, it is not for everyone ;-)

8 hours ago, riclag said:

I can sit on my motor bike at a traffic light or shop at Big C and get curiosity looks , smiles and enough respect and feel goods in Thailand as opposed to my country . Now  talking about IO, not so much !

Ahhhh......Thailand makes you feel special 

Let me know next time you go back to your country 

We will arrange for you to get a lollipop    😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

No

Not at all when it comes to visa/immigration process

Canada all done on line, get prompt messages when more info needed or when they have updates

Both US/Canada, you get extended visas and they leave you alone 

My wife has a 10 year US visa

She's probably entered the US 80x

She may have been asked more than the usual "where are you going? How long you staying?" 2 or 3x

Your country (and it doesn't matter which, really) may have a better system vis-a-vis Thailand for some particular process. Agree 100%. 

But I asked if your country was without a corrupt, inefficient, or incompetent bureaucracy - in any process

If your country is 💯% free of any corruption, incompetence, or inefficiency in all of its bureaucracies, the. I stand corrected. My apologies.