News Forum - Red tape remains for foreign retirees in Thailand

Thaiger

This year, travel magazine International Living rated Thailand 11th most desirable country to retire in, out of 25. Despite this ranking, there are still regulations making it difficult for foreigners to stay here. Those with visas for one or more years are still required to report to immigration officials every 90 days. Foreigners with a Non-Immigrant O or Non-Immigrant OA visa extension based on retirement can’t get any type of job in Thailand. This is bad news for retirees who still wish to do some type of part-time work for enjoyment. An Immigration Bureau deputy commander spoke with the Bangkok […]

The story Red tape remains for foreign retirees in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Cool 1

"Foreign men married to Thai women must meet a requirement in Thai language proficiency, have a stable job, obtain approval from the interior minister, and have lived in the country for five years."

Seems reasonable.

Anyone know if example language proficiency examples are online? 

The article in the Bangkok Post was a more coherent read, even if what was said by the immigration officer was pointless. Next week I think they will interview the Transport Minister and Finance Ministers and and ask:

Q: Minister, can you give some insight as to why road deaths are so high in Thailand?

A: Yes, it’s because people crash their cars and bikes.  

Q: Finance Minister, can you explain why household debt is rising?

A: Yes of course  it’s because people don’t have money.

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Soidog said:

The article in the Bangkok Post was a more coherent read, even if what was said by the immigration officer was pointless. Next week I think they will interview the Transport Minister and Finance Ministers and and ask:

Q: Minister, can you give some insight as to why road deaths are so high in Thailand?

A: Yes, it’s because people crash their cars and bikes.  

Q: Finance Minister, can you explain why household debt is rising?

A: Yes of course  it’s because people don’t have money.

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.  

@Soidog

Q: why do people comment on bleeding obvious posts? 

A: isn't is bleeding obvious

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"Oh look honey. The new immigration building in Hua Hin has a nice steep wheel chair ramp. I think you can push me up that. Shouldn't be too hot." 

"Why didn't I marry a investment banker like my sister?"

I didn't know your sister was an investment banker?

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"Oh look honey. The new immigration building in Hua Hin has a nice steep wheel chair ramp. I think you can push me up that. Shouldn't be too hot." 

"Why didn't I marry a investment banker like my sister?"

Senior-Citizen-rate-credit.jpg

I hope they are not the same age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Vince said:

"Foreign men married to Thai women must meet a requirement in Thai language proficiency, have a stable job, obtain approval from the interior minister, and have lived in the country for five years."

Seems reasonable.

Anyone know if example language proficiency examples are online? 

For married men, you need to be able to say "I like how you are wearing your hair", "Your butt looks great in those sweat pants", "she's like a sister to me".

• Haha 1

The retirement visa process changes arbitrarily and the officers at the immigration bureau have discretion to make the process even more difficult, seemingly on a whim. Forms on the updated website are often outdated or modified, requiring additional time and inconvenience. The banks seem incapable of producing a suitable annual statement without several business days.  Dealing with immigration creates a bad impression, even for long term inhabitants.  Incompetence, corruption  and favoritism is very evident at the immigration bureau which I frequent, and is an embarrassment to my Thai partner. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

For married men, you need to be able to say "I like how you are wearing your hair", "Your butt looks great in those sweat pants", "she's like a sister to me".

I'm curious if the immigration officials will really need demonstrations of hair & butt compliments in Thai but noted Khun L_G_M

• Haha 2

Just now, Peabody1953 said:

The retirement visa process changes arbitrarily and the officers at the immigration bureau have discretion to make the process even more difficult, seemingly on a whim. Forms on the updated website are often outdated or modified, requiring additional time and inconvenience. The banks seem incapable of producing a suitable annual statement without several business days.  Dealing with immigration creates a bad impression, even for long term inhabitants.  Incompetence, corruption  and favoritism is very evident at the immigration bureau which I frequent, and is an embarrassment to my Thai partner. 

I feel your pain. But is your* country really without inefficient (even corrupt or incompetent) bureaucracy? 

(* And I'm not asking, it's a rhetorical question).

What is frustrating is not the rules themselves but the application of those rules by the immigration office/officer... There is way too must diversity in local practice. 90 day reporting is not so bad when it can be done entirely online everytime (with only 1 annual in person report if in country for 365 days concurrently). But to think it should go away is a non-starter, and contrary to immigration control's mandate.

1 minute ago, Cabra said:

What is frustrating is not the rules themselves but the application of those rules by the immigration office/officer... There is way too must diversity in local practice. 90 day reporting is not so bad when it can be done entirely online everytime (with only 1 annual in person report if in country for 365 days concurrently). But to think it should go away is a non-starter, and contrary to immigration control's mandate.

That is true. IIRC the rules are applied 'at the discretion of the immigration officer'.

• Like 1

Do I have to wear a red ribbon now because of the mask you can't see I'm a farang. I think the lmmigration like more the money then the farang. Farang can not buy Land in thailand. But in many other countrys a rich thai can buy Land. Also in Switzerland. When thailand will change that, then more invest is coming. But corruption is easyier 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

That is true. IIRC the rules are applied 'at the discretion of the immigration officer'.

I believe this to be the root of many issues. The local officer chooses not to follow the process described on the website and makes modifications to the current forms on the website. The requirement for me to submit a one full year banking statement for the first time, and not including this requirement in the website, is an egregious error that affects busy people tremendously. The smugness of the local officers and bank personnel adds insult to injury. 

12 minutes ago, kalyan said:

This will not work, you will never gain any respect, better to an die in your own country instead of living without any respect.

I can sit on my motor bike at a traffic light or shop at Big C and get curiosity looks , smiles and enough respect and feel goods in Thailand as opposed to my country . Now  talking about IO, not so much !

• Cool 1

29 minutes ago, Swissguy said:

Do I have to wear a red ribbon now because of the mask you can't see I'm a farang. I think the lmmigration like more the money then the farang. Farang can not buy Land in thailand. But in many other countrys a rich thai can buy Land. Also in Switzerland. When thailand will change that, then more invest is coming. But corruption is easyier 

They don't have to be rich my Thai wife's name was on our property in the US also she didn't need permission to buy a car or get a driver's license 

Why does Thailand try and invent the wheel?

They want Investors and people with money , yet cannot work out that countries like Cambodia , let you have retirement Visa’s and also allow you to work!

This creates economic growth as many retirees are very skilled and create business and jobs for Thai’s.

The Government continues to embarrass itself with short comings and ideas on many ways to create tourism and economic growth, but are too stubborn, trying to save face , and not allowing themselves to copy great ideas other countries implement for investors and retirees! 

come on Thailand open your country for investment and let retirees start businesses here !

It’s a Win Win situation!

what are you worrying about?

it will create jobs and boost the economy!!!

Foreigners with a Non-Immigrant O or Non-Immigrant OA visa extension based on retirement can’t get any type of job in Thailand. This is bad news for retirees who still wish to do some type of part-time work for enjoyment ............correct so far.

An Immigration Bureau deputy commander spoke with the Bangkok Post and said this is because work permits are only granted to those with permanent residence or to those with a Non-Immigrant B visa, which is issued to foreigners who want to work in Thailand............ incorrect, those with a Non O or Non O-A extension based on Thai family/spouse can be issued work permits.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

Foreigners with a Non-Immigrant O or Non-Immigrant OA visa extension based on retirement can’t get any type of job in Thailand. This is bad news for retirees who still wish to do some type of part-time work for enjoyment ............correct so far.

An Immigration Bureau deputy commander spoke with the Bangkok Post and said this is because work permits are only granted to those with permanent residence or to those with a Non-Immigrant B visa, which is issued to foreigners who want to work in Thailand............ incorrect, those with a Non O or Non O-A extension based on Thai family/spouse can be issued work permits.

Yes with a few “reserved” jobs, but they can work within the parameters 

1 hour ago, Peabody1953 said:

The requirement for me to submit a one full year banking statement for the first time, and not including this requirement in the website, is an egregious error that affects busy people tremendously.

The requirements are published in Immigration Bureau Orders, via the websites.
Requirements vary depending on your status, nationality and the financial method chosen. 

3 hours ago, Peabody1953 said:

The banks seem incapable of producing a suitable annual statement without several business days.

I think you need a different bank.

Mine take about 20 minutes, whether in the provincial capital or the local town (TMB, now TTB, or Kasikorn). I've never seen any other farangs in either and few of the assistants speak any English so they're hardly 'farang orientated', though I'm sure other farangs have accounts there and get the same documentation.

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

90 day reporting is not so bad when it can be done entirely online everytime (with only 1 annual in person report if in country for 365 days concurrently).

If you don't do the first concurrent with your extension, you can do the first by post not in person.

1 hour ago, Grant said:

They want Investors and people with money , yet cannot work out that countries like Cambodia , let you have retirement Visa’s and also allow you to work!

They've probably worked it out, but don't want the same retirees as Cambodia - and  you can't work on a retirement visa in Cambodia: "If immigration officials catch an ER holder working in Cambodia, considerable fines and potentially jail time and deportation are to be imposed."

https://www.touristvisaonline.com/blog/cambodia/cambodia-retirement-visa

https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

They don't have to be rich my Thai wife's name was on our property in the US also she didn't need permission to buy a car or get a driver's license 

You don't need permission to buy a car or to get a driver's licence in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Grant said:

Why does Thailand try and invent the wheel?

This creates economic growth as many retirees are very skilled and create business and jobs for Thai’s.

The Government continues to embarrass itself with short comings and ideas on many ways to create tourism and economic growth, but are too stubborn, trying to save face , and not allowing themselves to copy great ideas other countries implement for investors and retirees! 

come on Thailand open your country for investment and let retirees start businesses here !

It’s a Win Win situation!

what are you worrying about?

it will create jobs and boost the economy!!!

New visas have work options. 

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

I think you need a different bank.

Mine take about 20 minutes, whether in the provincial capital or the local town (TMB, now TTB, or Kasikorn). I've never seen any other farangs in either and few of the assistants speak any English so they're hardly 'farang orientated', though I'm sure other farangs have accounts there and get the same documentation.

If you don't do the first concurrent with your extension, you can do the first by post not in person.

They've probably worked it out, but don't want the same retirees as Cambodia - and  you can't work on a retirement visa in Cambodia: "If immigration officials catch an ER holder working in Cambodia, considerable fines and potentially jail time and deportation are to be imposed."

https://www.touristvisaonline.com/blog/cambodia/cambodia-retirement-visa

https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

You don't need permission to buy a car or to get a driver's licence in Thailand.

So why did I have to go to immigration turn in paperwork and pay them money to get a letter giving me permission to buy or sell a car and then another one to give the land transportation office to get a license