News Forum - Government to make more Covid insurance options available to foreign tourists

Thaiger

The Thai government wants to offer more Covid-19 insurance options to foreign tourists whose own insurance doesn’t cover hospitels or hotel isolation in cases of asymptomatic infection. According to a Bangkok Post report, the governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand says officials are in talks with the Office of the Insurance Commission. Yuthasak Supasorn says premiums could start at around 800 baht per person to cover the cost of hotel isolation, which usually starts from around 30,000 baht. The new ruling by the CCSA last week means that if tourists are not fully covered by their own insurance policies, […]

The story Government to make more Covid insurance options available to foreign tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

THA (and frankly most of the world) has lost the plot when it comes to insurance (and this means any and all insurance - health, life, fire, casualty, auto, et al.). Insurance is suppose to be for those who want to layoff risk to a third party. It should never be mandatory unless you are financing real property through a bank. If you want to assume the risk and not have insurance that should be your right. And if you don't have, say health insurance, and you want to/need to enter a hospital then you should be required to pay for services in advance. Simple. Mandatory insurance is the biggest scam of the last 100 years perpetrated against regular people since the advent of capitalism.

• Like 2

My issue is what type of hotel would it cover

If you buy the insurance

Will 3, 4, 5 star all be covered the same way

But I guess I wouldn't care

800 baht and covers 30k

Any remaining balance on hotel, I'd likely be able to submit to my personal travel insurance 

The THA president says that in the past, some infected guests have refused to go to hospital, concerned about the cost and the likelihood that their insurance wouldn’t cover it, due to them being asymptomatic.

I arrived on November 4, I knew that we were hospitalized even asymptomatic!

Tourists know before entering. they are free riders, they are not in good faith...

it also shows that tourists come without insurance and especially without having all the vaccinations, many do not have the measles vaccine.

this episode of COVID must set things right for global tourism.

compulsory and controlled vaccination and insurance.

Edited by vvdb.fr
Add
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

From where to get insurance that covers hospitel or hotel quarantine for those got positive PCR test but are asymptomatic? And price? Is the insurance compulsory? Planning to stay in Thailand 3 to 4 months.

Can you recommend any insurance companies?

4 hours ago, Cabra said:

THA (and frankly most of the world) has lost the plot when it comes to insurance (and this means any and all insurance - health, life, fire, casualty, auto, et al.). Insurance is suppose to be for those who want to layoff risk to a third party. It should never be mandatory unless you are financing real property through a bank. If you want to assume the risk and not have insurance that should be your right. And if you don't have, say health insurance, and you want to/need to enter a hospital then you should be required to pay for services in advance. Simple. Mandatory insurance is the biggest scam of the last 100 years perpetrated against regular people since the advent of capitalism.

The government was quite upfront about the policy being never designed to protect you. It was to protect the Thai health care system from having to pick up the tab for foreigners who would get medical treatment here and then skip out not paying for it. Sadly, the case for some people even prior to covid.

Of course, that was misguided given most policies still require the insured to pay up and claim later, and a few months afterwards even the government admitted that many policies were not fit for purpose.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Finn-Matti said:

From where to get insurance that covers hospitel or hotel quarantine for those got positive PCR test but are asymptomatic? And price? Is the insurance compulsory? Planning to stay in Thailand 3 to 4 months.

Can you recommend any insurance companies?

The AXA Sawatdee policy was highly regarded as premium with direct settlement by a Thai insurer, including asymptomatic. But even they do not cover for a hotel quarantine.

Covid-19 > If I’m tested positive for COVID-19 and have to be quarantined in the hotel. Will AXA pay for this hotel cost?

No, AXA will not cover for hotel accommodation cost. AXA will however cover for other medical costs such as physician fees and medicine

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

insurance may not cover quarantine in a hopital too if asymptomatic,

how much is a quarantine day in hospital
and can you choose hospital or aq hotel in this situation ?

• Like 1

So how to get in Thailand if authorities demand travelers to have "all-inclusive" insurance? 

I do understand to have compulsory insurance for medical expensies. 

??

6 hours ago, Cabra said:

Agreed in theory, but what happens when tourists can't pay?

45 minutes ago, satpete said:

insurance may not cover quarantine in a hopital too if asymptomatic,

how much is a quarantine day in hospital
and can you choose hospital or aq hotel in this situation ?

Hospital, hospitel or home quarantine depends on your symptoms and eligibility.  I've given the links and quoted the regs several times.

3 hours ago, bokeh said:

More money grabbing. Look up who owns the overwhelming majority of shares in one of the largest 'insurance' companies here.

Who?

You haven't given enough information to 'look it up'.

Emirates tickets have insurance for quarantine included, about 115 USD/Day

I would like know how much a hospitel may charge for 14 days

ASQ hotels are known from here > asq.in.th

31 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Agreed in theory, but what happens when tourists can't pay?

It occurs. But I think the number of occurances are lower than we are led to believe (just over overblown). Interesting is the fact that most policies are insufficient to cover cost anyway, so the insured is still on the hook for the bill at the end of the day (and the hospital is over extended on the receivable). I just have a problem with insurance on the individual to protect the industry. I don't have a good answer. Patient could prepay (require a credit card for admission) to the extent possible, and if they skip out/can't pay then their recourse might be revoked entry privileges. 

19 minutes ago, satpete said:

Emirates tickets have insurance for quarantine included, about 115 USD/Day

I would like know how much a hospitel may charge for 14 days

ASQ hotels are known from here > asq.in.th

Get the oxygen handy.

Those partnered with Bumrungrad charge 150,000 baht for a 14 day stay.

https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/list-of-hospitels-for-covid-19-patients/

I'm not sure, but I think I recall someone here saying that the Emirates insurance was free but had a lot of caveats including limited duration.

For those living here, home quarantine is a simple option - not so for tourists.

5 minutes ago, Cabra said:

It occurs. But I think the number of occurances are lower than we are led to believe (just over overblown). Interesting is the fact that most policies are insufficient to cover cost anyway, so the insured is still on the hook for the bill at the end of the day (and the hospital is over extended on the receivable). I just have a problem with insurance on the individual to protect the industry. I don't have a good answer. Patient could prepay (require a credit card for admission) to the extent possible, and if they skip out/can't pay then their recourse might be revoked entry privileges. 

A lot of begpackers aren't going to have 150k spare - or even a credit limit of 150k.

I don't have the answer either - or at least not a better answer than insurance.

Think the Thai Govt need to get their act together on this issue of Insurance or it may prove the death knell to tourism in total.

Insurance policy backed by the Thai Govt to cover all Thai Govt requirements for Covid would be a start.

Classes of level of cover ie General Thai hospital as per same for Thais and a two, three or four other levels higher depending on travellers request, and paid for,  level of cover.

Compulsory to all tourists, no Insurance no visa.  If they can keep the pricing honest without the Farung extra sting it may work.

Tourist happy they know where they stand, hospitals happy get money, Govt happy they have tourists.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cabra said:

I don't agree.
Car insurance must be mandatory (like it is in a lot of countries). You have an accident with damage to your car and even landing you in hospital, and where the other party is to blame and has to indemn you... what if the other party says "I don't have the money".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alavan said:

I don't agree.
Car insurance must be mandatory (like it is in a lot of countries). You have an accident with damage to your car and even landing you in hospital, and where the other party is to blame and has to indemn you... what if the other party says "I don't have the money".

All auto insurance should be no-fault (that also covers uninsured motorist), and I'd still self insure and assume the risk myself. Forcing everyone to take PL/PD minimums won't cover your cost anyway if you think you are going to have recourse against the other party.

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

Who?

You haven't given enough information to 'look it up'.

You never learn @Stonkerit is 'them', 'those', the invisibles who run the whole world and use government leaders as puppets, it is the same ones who made up this false pandemic and who hide in the shadows. 😆

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

Get the oxygen handy.

Those partnered with Bumrungrad charge 150,000 baht for a 14 day stay.

https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/list-of-hospitels-for-covid-19-patients/

I'm not sure, but I think I recall someone here saying that the Emirates insurance was free but had a lot of caveats including limited duration.

For those living here, home quarantine is a simple option - not so for tourists.

I have lost touch with all of the rules.

Can a farang tourist visiting Thailand for say six months quarantine if required in their own house in Phuket after the initial one day and fifth day hotel stay while having the tests?

I always have around £7million pounds of health insurance with me while in Thailand.

I was in Phuket for seven months in 2020, I was quite ill and my hospital bill came to £4000, paid for by the insurance company who also phoned me on a weekly basis to see how things were so I never travel without it. 

Who knows what is going to happen at anytime, I am covered for free at the point of use in the UK but there not, plus there is also cover for repatriation and £2million thirds party indemnity insurance.

16 hours ago, Cabra said:

This is a fine initiative that shows the government is listening and responding to problems. 

No doubt it will have problems but things are improving. 

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

You never learn @Stonkerit is 'them', 'those', the invisibles who run the whole world and use government leaders as puppets, it is the same ones who made up this false pandemic and who hide in the shadows. 😆

Aaah ... the boogey men 😱

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Can a farang tourist visiting Thailand for say six months quarantine if required in their own house in Phuket after the initial one day and fifth day hotel stay while having the tests

If you meet the criteria, yes - or your condo, or even someone else's house as it won't be in your name anyway, or someone else's condo.

It all depends on meeting the criteria and on the severity.