Dual pricing is not racism or why Phuket is still NOT ripping people off

Vince

Seeing this post 

I am reminded of the "dual pricing is racist against Ex-Pats" argument which I disagree with. 

If @Fazand @AussieBobare able to negotiate Thai prices at times,  I'm doubling down on my argument and adding more: 

Dual pricing means you just didn't make an effort. 

I'm not saying this is 100% true, but I think it's mostly true. 

In this topic I hope to dispel the myth of dual pricing as some coordinated effort to exploit foreigners. 

I think competing explanations can be had for most "dual pricing" situations that do not point to either racist intent or implementation or both. 

These competing explanations include a failure to haggle, the exemption of tax paying locals (so they are not double taxed), the desire to encourage and reward repeat customers, and other reasons. 

A note about the term "ripping off" - it can mean to be literally robbed, as by a thief ripping off your wallet, or casually to mean over-charged, as in "my 360 THB pad Thai was a rip off. I could have gotten it for 60 THB next door."

So saying "Phuket is still over charging people" (which is likely true) is not as dramatic as saying it is ripping people off (suggesting theft by deception or force - which is not true). 

I hope to discuss overcharging as part of the problem of dual pricing as well. 

Polite on-topic comments welcome. 

Although I agree dual pricing isn't racist by any means, it happens anywhere and is just a part of business. 

Can't agree any responsibility/blame should be put on the customer though. 

If a business is doing well congratulations to them, if they have a special product /service they'll be able to play that game. But if not, other business' will take market share if they continue to do that and that is just capitalism playing out. Plenty of business' I've gone to with high prices, I didn't buy anything and will never return. Can't say if it was dual pricing in all cases or just inflated prices in general. 

Just an example, I was at a friends, cousins graduation last week and they were selling flowers outside the university, I just walked down the road as there was plenty of vendors, one told me 600 baht, I just walked off and he said 400 baht and I said no thanks. I found one vendor asking 300 baht and got it there and gave a 100 baht tip. If anyone asked I would have directed them straight to the vendor who sold me the flowers for 300 baht. 

In my opinion the business' that go for better price/service and loyal customers tend to do better than those who get a few customers but make more from each one. 

• Cool 1

8 hours ago, dj230 said:

Although I agree dual pricing isn't racist by any means, it happens anywhere and is just a part of business. 

Can't agree any responsibility/blame should be put on the customer though. 

In your example below you make an effort to avoid high priced flowers and found a lower price. You made an effort. 

If you had taken the first highest price then, enraged, said Thailand was a big racist rip off, I'd say "did you make any effort?" 

8 hours ago, dj230 said:

If a business is doing well congratulations to them, if they have a special product /service they'll be able to play that game. But if not, other business' will take market share if they continue to do that and that is just capitalism playing out. Plenty of business' I've gone to with high prices, I didn't buy anything and will never return. Can't say if it was dual pricing in all cases or just inflated prices in general. 

Exactly. Businesses want high prices, customers don't. Thais haggle or avoid low prices. If Ex-Pats won't that's not anyone's fault but their own. Mostly (I think there are some edge cases, but mostly). 

8 hours ago, dj230 said:

Just an example, I was at a friends, cousins graduation last week and they were selling flowers outside the university, I just walked down the road as there was plenty of vendors, one told me 600 baht, I just walked off and he said 400 baht and I said no thanks. I found one vendor asking 300 baht and got it there and gave a 100 baht tip. If anyone asked I would have directed them straight to the vendor who sold me the flowers for 300 baht. 

A great example! 

8 hours ago, dj230 said:

In my opinion the business' that go for better price/service and loyal customers tend to do better than those who get a few customers but make more from each one. 

Indeed. Great point. 

• Like 1

Any pricing structure based on nationality is at best Nationalistic and at worse racist. There is simply no justification for it and in many ways shortsighted. 

Although the government and some may argue it’s justified based on tax payers contribution, this simply doesn’t hold up from a more strategic and practical perspective. By allowing tourists to enter at an equitable price, it allows a nation to display its natural beauty and promote its proud history. A far more positive message to take back around the world rather than pictures of charging foreigners 10 times locals. 

In terms of nationalism or racism. For the policy makers I will give them the benefit of a very large doubt and say it’s nationalism. However, just as many on this forum would proclaim racism, many Thais who hold racist thoughts can justify dual pricing as a national policy implemented by government. This in turn lends weight to and justifies their underlying racist thoughts. In other words, it does nothing to stop racism and to those less open minded, justifies it.  It’s government policy right….  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Any pricing structure based on nationality is at best Nationalistic and at worse racist. There is simply no justification for it and in many ways shortsighted. 

Although the government and some may argue it’s justified based on tax payers contribution, this simply doesn’t hold up from a more strategic and practical perspective. By allowing tourists to enter at an equitable price, it allows a nation to display its natural beauty and promote its proud history. A far more positive message to take back around the world rather than pictures of charging foreigners 10 times locals. 

In terms of nationalism or racism. For the policy makers I will give them the benefit of a very large doubt and say it’s nationalism. However, just as many on this forum would proclaim racism, many Thais who hold racist thoughts can justify dual pricing as a national policy implemented by government. This in turn lends weight to and justifies their underlying racist thoughts. In other words, it does nothing to stop racism and to those less open minded, justifies it.  It’s government policy right….  

Dual pricing is everywhere. You get a resident discount or ladies nights special.  Only cheap people object to special discounts. Dual pricing is really the same as a discount for some. Quit whining. 

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, LoongFred said:

Dual pricing is everywhere. You get a resident discount or ladies nights special.  Only cheap people object to special discounts. Dual pricing is really the same as a discount for some. Quit whining. 

Thank you as ever for your for your benighted response Fred. Can someone pop around to his shack and help him to put me on ignore. 

Odd way @Vinceto react to someone who tries to answer the question you posted in a constructive and engaging way. Yet you encourage the likes of Fred who tries to close down and stifle the very debate you claim to want. 

That confirms my suspicions about you. Nothing more than a troll. Debate closed. 

• Like 1

Thailand has signed the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination by the UN which specifically forbids different prices based on race. With that in mind the discussion about dual pricing should be about why Thailand allows this attitude to continue happening.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, OOber said:

Thailand has signed the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination by the UN which specifically forbids different prices based on race. With that in mind the discussion about dual pricing should be about why Thailand allows this attitude to continue happening.

It's not race based. Citizens get  a discount. 

If you are so cheap don't go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Odd way @Vinceto react to someone who tries to answer the question you posted in a constructive and engaging way. Yet you encourage the likes of Fred who tries to close down and stifle the very debate you claim to want. 

That confirms my suspicions about you. Nothing more than a troll. Debate closed. 

Sorry Soidog feels that way. Either agree with him or be attacked, I guess. Since he's declared "Debate closed" I assume he's done here. ✔