News Forum - Thailand tourism industry hopeful with the return of Test & Go

Thaiger

1 hour ago, FTF020 said:

I had never heard of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Diamond_Affair

Had a fun hour reading that and related articles, thanks!

As for the Test and Go scheme, it's so frustrating. I'm planning on a late feb arrival. I suspect things will change in the next week or 2. On the one hand I don't want to have to enter through an 'outdated scheme', but I'm also worried if I apply too late for TnG/Thailand Pass, it will take too long to get approved. Stuck between a rock and an expensive place!

It's a real crap shoot... this page may be able to help. Looks like anywhere from less than a day up to 7 days for approval... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham said:

The biggest issue with the New Test and Go is the huge risk of getting Covid whilst in Thailand for that 4 day period when you are doing the tourist things that tourists want to do, safer bet is to go Sandbox or if you have condo or house then self isolate (that's my plan hopefully).

I agree. And this is the weak point of the whole entry scheme as devised by the Thai authorities.

I do understand that they want to make sure that no one who is infected comes into the country. So allow only vaccinated people in, require them to do a test before departure and one upon arrival. Fair enough, and that will probably capture 99% of those who are infected. The 2nd test on Thailand soil after 5 days does not do anything to prevent the "import" of the virus, but will most likely catch those who got infected in Thailand. This has nothing to do anymore with the prevention of virus import. And the consequences are quite dire as you point out. But why only test tourists and not everyone on a 5-day basis? Isn't this discriminatory in its own right? 

At the end, one needs to accept that this virus is going to stay and we will have to live with it. If you are fully vaccinated, Omikron is more like a light flu, so at the end, vaccination is the key, as well as mask wearing and hygiene. This 2nd test is therefore really not making much sense at all with regards to preventing the virus import and with regards to monitor the spreading of the virus it is inconsequential to administer it only once and only for tourists.

• Like 1