News Forum - Thailand tourism industry hopeful with the return of Test & Go

Thaiger

With the reintroduction of the Test & Go programme that allows people to enter Thailand without a multi-day quarantine, organizations in the tourism industry are hopeful for growth in international travellers in February and beyond. The programme was reinstated, albeit with some revisions that were not met with a particularly welcoming reception, and will be open for travellers again on February 1. The new version of Test & Go was almost universally panned by tourists and travellers for added complications and cost, now requiring a second RT PCR test with a pre-booked hotel on the fifth day after arrival, and additional […]

The story Thailand tourism industry hopeful with the return of Test & Go as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I‘m afraid, they will get disappointed. The „day 5“ detail is wrong in so many ways, that it will be the show-stopper for many travelers.

• Like 4

I see Thai PM visiting Saudi this week, maybe trying to open door to more potential tourists after a 30 year absence, following the "blue diamond affair."

• Cool 1

The paperwork is a pain in the a*se but it won't stop me visiting Thailand. The test and go system won't last long though, restrictions are being lifted all over the world. Would be very surprised if 'test and go' and 'sandbox' still exist by Songkran. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

A question I have, about this fifth day test: if I arrive on a Saturday, is the fifth day the Wednesday, or is it the Thursday?

What I have read about it is not really clear.

• Like 1

Unless people were going to stay in an approved hotel for the duration of their vacation or that segment of their trip, they are going to be hugely inconvenienced, and I'm sure many will opt for less complicated destinations.

I'm staying with friends, so this will be a total additional expense and inconvenience. They could have introduced an additional test without hotel room, still inconvenient, but not a show stopper.

I may have my friend travel to Phuket and at least make it a joint vacation, probably staying a week before onward travel.

I've been waiting 2 years to get back in.

Frustrated!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

With the reintroduction of the Test & Go programme that allows people to enter Thailand without a multi-day quarantine, organizations in the tourism industry are hopeful for growth in international travellers in February and beyond. The programme was reinstated, albeit with some revisions that were not met with a particularly welcoming reception, and will be open for travellers again on February 1. The new version of Test & Go was almost universally panned by tourists and travellers for added complications and cost, now requiring a second RT PCR test with a pre-booked hotel on the fifth day after arrival, and additional […]

The story Thailand tourism industry hopeful with the return of Test & Go as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Desparation and yet no real idea how to bring more visitors into the country and manage Covid.

High season is fading out now, nothing much to expect with regards to increasing visitor numbers for the next 6-8 months. And another program that is rather unattractive  for potential tourists. Doomed to fail in my eyes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael0510 said:

I‘m afraid, they will get disappointed. The „day 5“ detail is wrong in so many ways, that it will be the show-stopper for many travelers.

Sadly, they don't seem to recognize the unnecessary layer of added nonsense to the revised program. 

Yet, kind of expected, yes?

• Like 2

I will wait until sanity reigns again. Maybe October/November. I am triple vaccinated with Pfizer and I just completed 14 days of self-imposed quarantine for a very mild case of Omicron. I feel my chances of a reinfection are low, but taking a second test after being in an infective country like Thailand would put me at risk of incurring expenses and inconvenience that I will not take. The way the world is going now, travel should be pretty open by later this year. My son and his wife are in Thailand permanently and I want to visit and stay with them and my two very young grandchildren.

• Like 2

Following what was required under the previous Test & Go (1 PCR test & 1 antigen test) and what is currently required under the Sandbox (2 x PCR tests) -  the first test is on day 0/1 and second test is on day 5/6.  If you arrive in BKK at 11 am on Sat, you will be tested in early afternoon on Sat (day 0), so 2nd test is on Wed (day 5).  If you arrive in BKK at 11 pm on Sat, you will be tested in the early hours of Sun (day 1), so 2nd test is on Thu (day 6).  But wait until things are official, and website open again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Thanks for that oracle, so does anyone actually know when the site will be open to apply for the new test and go? I thought it was one on Thursday just gone 🤦‍♀️ So very confusing X

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Following what was required under the previous Test & Go (1 PCR test & 1 antigen test) and what is currently required under the Sandbox (2 x PCR tests) -  the first test is on day 0/1 and second test is on day 5/6.  If you arrive in BKK at 11 am on Sat, you will be tested in early afternoon on Sat (day 0), so 2nd test is on Wed (day 5).  If you arrive in BKK at 11 pm on Sat, you will be tested in the early hours of Sun (day 1), so 2nd test is on Thu (day 6).  But wait until things are official, and website open again.

I might wait 'til Feb 1 to see what their new agenda will be.

The biggest issue with the New Test and Go is the huge risk of getting Covid whilst in Thailand for that 4 day period when you are doing the tourist things that tourists want to do, safer bet is to go Sandbox or if you have condo or house then self isolate (that's my plan hopefully).

• Like 1

February 1st is a long way off in terms of how it has been handled so far - they will probably have flip-flapped their way through at least three more versions by then. My flight into Bangkok from the UK,  via Bahrain, on Friday, was a good example of how it is likely to go if they don't get their act together - three passengers in the front cabin, maybe fifty passengers in total, most of those actually Filipino OFW's transiting onto a flight to Manila.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham said:

The biggest issue with the New Test and Go is the huge risk of getting Covid whilst in Thailand for that 4 day period when you are doing the tourist things that tourists want to do, safer bet is to go Sandbox or if you have condo or house then self isolate (that's my plan hopefully).

Sorry Graham but how is sandbox any different? You enter sandbox and are tested. You pass and go about your holiday. A week later you get tested again don’t you? So if you test positive then you are no better or worse off than coming in on Test & Go ? Maybe I’m missing something ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpish said:

February 1st is a long way off in terms of how it has been handled so far - they will probably have flip-flapped their way through at least three more versions by then. My flight into Bangkok from the UK,  via Bahrain, on Friday, was a good example of how it is likely to go if they don't get their act together - three passengers in the front cabin, maybe fifty passengers in total, most of those actually Filipino OFW's transiting onto a flight to Manila.

I came in on the 19th with Qatar. I was in Business and it was 75% full and economy looked similar. I would say there was 150-170 on board. Suvarnabhumi very quiet but the process was quick and easy. I got through immigration quicker than I ever have. Although the flight was busy, it was clear there were very few overall arrivals. 

• Like 2

Time will tell who is correct, all those such as myself, who state openly that this will not provide tourists in anything like the predicted numbers, or the over optimistic authorities. These authorities are nothing but fools!

Good job I didn't write this after a bottle of red, otherwise I'd be prevented from posting, as this would be full of expletives!

No chance of being successful.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Rangers said:

The paperwork is a pain in the a*se but it won't stop me visiting Thailand. The test and go system won't last long though, restrictions are being lifted all over the world. Would be very surprised if 'test and go' and 'sandbox' still exist by Songkran. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry Graham but how is sandbox any different? You enter sandbox and are tested. You pass and go about your holiday. A week later you get tested again don’t you? So if you test positive then you are no better or worse off than coming in on Test & Go ? Maybe I’m missing something ? 

It's a rhetorical question isn't it. There is no qualitative difference. There is only a quantitative difference. As I see it, the only difference will be cost and time. Can you book your sandbox cheaper than BKK? And... you get two more days of incarceration with the sandbox model. Otherwise, there is no differences. If you want to stay secluded in the sandbox model, to ensure you don't get infected you can, but you can also do the same thing with the Test and Go model.

• Like 2

Just now, Sean1 said:
5 hours ago, Rangers said:

Oops,1st post didn't go well!

I agree with your comments Rangers.Tourists will come if the process is simplified.Additional testing other than your negative pre flight test is scrapped.

No Thailand Pass other than your passport. 

Mask up,vaccinate, have your own insurance and, enjoy your holiday should be the norm in a few weeks or months.We need to live with covid,simple in my opinion. 

I look forward visiting Phuket in December!🌈

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Oracle said:

I see Thai PM visiting Saudi this week, maybe trying to open door to more potential tourists after a 30 year absence, following the "blue diamond affair."

I had never heard of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Diamond_Affair

Had a fun hour reading that and related articles, thanks!

As for the Test and Go scheme, it's so frustrating. I'm planning on a late feb arrival. I suspect things will change in the next week or 2. On the one hand I don't want to have to enter through an 'outdated scheme', but I'm also worried if I apply too late for TnG/Thailand Pass, it will take too long to get approved. Stuck between a rock and an expensive place!

• Like 2