News Forum - Government plans to gather data, combine tourism databases

Thaiger

In an effort to organize data and bolster tourism for the future, government agencies are looking at merging the databases of tourism-related agencies, businesses, and organizations. They plan to create a unified database in order to bring together all the information in an organized system. A campaign was launched, supported by the Department of Tourism, the Department of Provincial Administration, and the Department of Health Service Support who each signed on to an agreement of creating a merger of their databases. The amalgamation of data is aiming to begin with the service sector first. The database will also benefit public health […]

The story Government plans to gather data, combine tourism databases as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

In an effort to organize data and bolster tourism for the future, government agencies are looking at merging the databases of tourism-related agencies, businesses, and organizations. They plan to create a unified database in order to bring together all the information in an organized system.

Rude, I know, but on reading this, I almost wet myself laughing 🤣!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A huge part of toursim revenue is in the grey economy, and the government does not have a clue how much is it.

The real figure is much higher than the official one, thats for sure.

Bar fines, hand written "bills" , etc...

• Like 6

Great :-( they can’t even keep the hospital records secure from hackers or their own staff and now they plan to copy that info and so much more into a merged database. I wonder if the ransomware people accept Thai baht? 

• Cool 1

Nothing but a surveillance system dressed up in tourism development lingo. There is not one hint of how these tourism businesses will benefit from such a merger of data. These dolts think we do not see through their anodyne description of what they are up to!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

SWOT Analysis:

Strength - Low

Weakness: High 

Opportunities: Low

Threats: Sky High 

Looks like a winner.

Thanks for that, @Pete! . . . OK, any other business . . . no?  Next meeting on 23 July, thanks for attending . . . meeting closed.

Having a unified database is great if you want more accurate economical data (like expenditure per demographic) and for that purpose anonymized data is sufficient.  However, to also serve public health and safety, it would likely need to evolve into (or even start out as) a surveillance system that tracks & monitors individuals.

Being a tourist to Thailand would be like going to some toilet where the proprietor has installed cameras to check if your aim is right. If that isn't bad enough, just wait until you get an offer to not post pictures by someone who hacked the records.

• Cool 1

Blah blah blah, oh and we will have to set up committees and subcommittees made up of military geriatrics who will oversee the running of these for the next 10-15 years.  555

TIT.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

Thais being Thais where rules are either ignored or over the top it may end up with foreigners going for a massage and spa and having to present your passport to get in the door. Pay a bar fine, passport please.

Ridiculous some may say but this is Thailand.

• Cool 1

I’m sure all countries are doing this, big data analytic software is started to pick up in the tech world essentially being able to filter through tons of different types of data at the click of a button.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Rude, I know, but on reading this, I almost wet myself laughing 🤣!

Palantir is doing this for governments and companies (corporations) now. They custom make the software for anyone that becomes a client. Whatever data you have they can organize it and allow you to filter through it however you want. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Don't worry... This won't see the light of day for years. And if it does, it will be so full of inaccurate information to render itself useless.

• Cool 1

They wilľ probably keep all the bureaucratic empires that have been built over the years as well though - for example,  why is that arrival card necessary when all the information asked for has already been provided for the mandatory Thailand Pass?

• Cool 1

9 hours ago, Somchai said:

A huge part of toursim revenue is in the grey economy, and the government does not have a clue how much is it.

The real figure is much higher than the official one, thats for sure.

Bar fines, hand written "bills" , etc...

I think it's called tax evasion in some cases, a problem in every country. 

Gogo bars should be reporting their income whether it's from a tourist or a Thai national, if that's the law (I have no idea what Thai tax laws are).  

Not sure how this database is going to improve income reporting. Maybe it will?

Awesome... now they can find out how to get the "quality tourists" they keep ranting about.

Figure out how to allow the fewest amount of people in your country that spend the most money!

I haven't been a bit impressed by anything the Thai governtment has done since the single test and go scheme. Everything else they touch is a joke... just a disorganized mess led by knee jerk reactions or health ministers that don't know when to shut up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danbrooks2k said:

Awesome... now they can find out how to get the "quality tourists" they keep ranting about.

Figure out how to allow the fewest amount of people in your country that spend the most money!

I haven't been a bit impressed by anything the Thai governtment has done since the single test and go scheme. Everything else they touch is a joke... just a disorganized mess led by knee jerk reactions or health ministers that don't know when to shut up.

Mass tourism has had it's day. See "Thailand and the fallout from mass tourism | DW Documentary" video on internet. 

Volume tourism comes with a price. And maybe Thailand wants to try not paying that price. Let's see how it goes. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Vince said:

Mass tourism has had it's day. See "Thailand and the fallout from mass tourism | DW Documentary" video on internet. 

Volume tourism comes with a price. And maybe Thailand wants to try not paying that price. Let's see how it goes. 

I am at a loss for words... If you are a cheerleader for less of us going to Thailand and keeping it for the ultra wealthy... I don't have the words.

Mass tourism? Lets see how they do with zero tourism after a few more years.

The vibrant party atmosphere has attracted visitors for decades. Lets get Amsterdam to close its brothels and stop selling weed while we are at it... 

Right now just about everyone really needs a holiday... suggesting Thailand is better off without us... just gross.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

In an effort to organize data and bolster tourism for the future, government agencies are looking at merging the databases of tourism-related agencies, businesses, and organizations. They plan to create a unified database in order to bring together all the information in an organized system. A campaign was launched, supported by the Department of Tourism, the Department of Provincial Administration, and the Department of Health Service Support who each signed on to an agreement of creating a merger of their databases. The amalgamation of data is aiming to begin with the service sector first. The database will also benefit public health […]

The story Government plans to gather data, combine tourism databases as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Future Headline: Thailand Experiencing Shortage Of Post-It Notes And Paper Clips

• Haha 1

Just now, Danbrooks2k said:

I am at a loss for words... If you are a cheerleader for less of us going to Thailand and keeping it for the ultra wealthy... I don't have the words.

The "quality tourists" described here 

Are hardly "ultra wealthy" at $80,000 USD for non-masters degree holders and $40,000 USD for master's degree holders. 

A tourist who balks at health insurance at any price might be below the threshold of "quality tourists". Again, not 'ultra-wealthy'. 

Mass tourism? Lets see how they do with zero tourism after a few more years.

Not gonna happen. But it's a dramatic thing to say. 

The vibrant party atmosphere has attracted visitors for decades. Lets get Amsterdam to close its brothels and stop selling weed while we are at it... 

And maybe the vibrant party atmosphere comes at a high price - traffic, pollution, ecosystem damage. See the video mentioned? 

Right now just about everyone really needs a holiday... suggesting Thailand is better off without us... just gross.

Agreed we need a vacation.

If you aren't what Thailand wants to call a quality tourist maybe you should wonder why you feel the right or need to go somewhere that sees you as undesirable?

But I think you are tired from Covid like we all are.

Agreed, we need a vacation. 

9 hours ago, Cabra said:

Don't worry... This won't see the light of day for years. And if it does, it will be so full of inaccurate information to render itself useless.

The worry is that officialdom will react and do stupid things relying on that inaccurate information.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1