Bricks for wall

Noble_Design

My wife and I had a disagreement about the kind of bricks that we should be using when constructing our new house in the future. She is quite adamant that we should be using clay/red bricks because she thinks that is the best brick and the highest quality material there is for building the walls. 

I on the other hand am not so sure. So just want to know - red/clay bricks, solid concrete bricks, hollow concrete/cement bricks and etc. which do you think one would satisfy my requirements:

1) Seeing how hot Thailand can be sometimes the material should have an insulation/heat blocking effect. I would not want the wall to still be emitting heat until night time.

2) It should be maintenance free. Means doesn't absorb moisture and prone to cracks etc. Although cracks could be caused by something else not necessarily the bricks themselves.

3) Cost wise - should be reasonably priced.

The wall doesn't need to be load bearing structure if that would help.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:58 PM, Noble_Design said:

My wife and I had a disagreement about the kind of bricks that we should be using when constructing our new house in the future. She is quite adamant that we should be using clay/red bricks because she thinks that is the best brick and the highest quality material there is for building the walls. 

I on the other hand am not so sure. So just want to know - red/clay bricks, solid concrete bricks, hollow concrete/cement bricks and etc. which do you think one would satisfy my requirements:

1) Seeing how hot Thailand can be sometimes the material should have an insulation/heat blocking effect. I would not want the wall to still be emitting heat until night time.

2) It should be maintenance free. Means doesn't absorb moisture and prone to cracks etc. Although cracks could be caused by something else not necessarily the bricks themselves.

3) Cost wise - should be reasonably priced.

I can't comment on radiate heat from block but brick certainly does long after dark

the best brick and the highest quality material there is for building the walls. 

find a new  wife

• Haha 1

I  beleive the thickest AAC  blocks  ARE  load  bearing, 25cm thick?

When I  built AAC  blocks were expensive so I used double el cheapo concrete blocks with air  gap and ties, wall stayed  cool. also surounded  house with trees, cant  hardly  see the  house  now for the trees and that photos  5  years  old   its even more  buried now

IMAG1314.jpg

house 2016.jpg

Edited by RampantRabbit
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

I can't comment on radiate heat from block but brick certainly does long after dark

They dont  call them storage  heaters for  nothing in the uk...full of  bricks

Edited by RampantRabbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nobusinessofurs said:

I guess brick is out of the question then except for walls that don't get direct sunlight

57 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

find a new  wife

Too late for that. Also I don't think I can afford a new one

56 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

I  beleive the thickest AAC  blocks  ARE  load  bearing, 25cm thick?

When I  built AAC  blocks were expensive so I used double el cheapo concrete blocks with air  gap and ties, wall stayed  cool. also surounded  house with trees, cant  hardly  see the  house  now for the trees and that photos  5  years  old   its even more  buried now

IMAG1314.jpg

house 2016.jpg

Ok I'll try and see how much AAC blocks would cost otherwise I may use your idea with the concrete blocks

6 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

I guess brick is out of the question then except for walls that don't get direct sunlight

Too late for that. Also I don't think I can afford a new one

Ok I'll try and see how much AAC blocks would cost otherwise I may use your idea with the concrete blocks

you can also buy the thinnest AAC  blocks and lay them side  on instead  to get a  thick wall, youll  have to calculate the cost compared to the thickest  ones but it may be cheaper