Jump to content

News Forum - Many criticise “soldier” coffee shop at southern Thailand military camp


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

“Sip a coffee and see cool soldiers”… That’s what an advertisement said for a new cafe opened up at the Thai Army 4 camp in the southern province Nakhon Si Thammarat. Chor Coffee at the Thep Satri Si Sunthon Military Camp made a post on Facebook with photos of drinks, desserts, and men in uniform. It caught people’s attention with more than 5,700 comments, but not all were positive. Some Thais commenting online say they are interested in checking out the cafe, while others criticise the new cafe, saying it is not the duty of soldiers to work at a […]

The story Many criticise “soldier” coffee shop at southern Thailand military camp as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's nothing that says Militarism State than a military inspired cafe'. 

TAT underwritten?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have had a beach coffee shop and a separate  restaurant, operated by the Navy, in Bang Sera for a number of years. Nothing new in this idea.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DesperateOldHand said:

There's nothing that says Militarism State than a military inspired cafe'. 

TAT underwritten?

I agree. I prefer western cafes without friendly soldiers, instead staffed with uptight college age civilians who act like they're doing you a favor and expect a generous tip simply for taking your order and handing you an empty cup. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prosaap said:

I hear they want to use the new fighter jets for delivery

I'd tip above 12% for that. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

We have had a beach coffee shop and a separate  restaurant, operated by the Navy, in Bang Sera for a number of years. Nothing new in this idea.

It is called  Bang Sarey not bang Sera.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Vince said:

I agree. I prefer western cafes without friendly soldiers, instead staffed with uptight college age civilians who act like they're doing you a favor and expect a generous tip simply for taking your order and handing you an empty cup. 

That works in the West. Must not be familiar with the way here.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

“Sip a coffee and see cool soldiers”… That’s what an advertisement said for a new cafe opened up at the Thai Army 4 camp in the southern province Nakhon Si Thammarat. Chor Coffee at the Thep Satri Si Sunthon Military Camp made a post on Facebook with photos of drinks, desserts, and men in uniform. It caught people’s attention with more than 5,700 comments, but not all were positive. Some Thais commenting online say they are interested in checking out the cafe, while others criticise the new cafe, saying it is not the duty of soldiers to work at a […]

The story Many criticise “soldier” coffee shop at southern Thailand military camp as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Be careful if they offer to put a little extra cream on the top.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stardust said:

It is called  Bang Sarey not bang Sera.

Big deal. Its not even spelt like that in Thai, Mr. Pedantic. 

  • Like 1
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Big deal. Its not even spelt like that in Thai, Mr. Pedantic. 

By the way sae kaew belongs to Sattahip! By the way if I wrote in Thai nobody could read it and there are always a few ways to write the Thai in english! บางเสร่   better?! By the way Thai is a native language in our family. Intersting people who not can speak or understand Thai want to teach Thai now. 😅🤣😂

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Big deal. Its not even spelt like that in Thai, Mr. Pedantic. 

Sure can write it in english also Bang Saray but for sure never like you wrote it! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the army, see the world, meet new and interesting people, make them a latte and then shoot them.....🙄🙄🙄🙄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Stardust said:

By the way if I wrote in Thai nobody could read it (snip)

Given your previous display of your mastery of the Thai language ("khun putt Thai?") we're in complete agreement - absolutely nobody.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

Given your previous display of your mastery of the Thai language ("khun putt Thai?") we're in complete agreement - absolutely nobody.

He's always doing that., like most of us actually care,  when the post  subject is the military operating coffee shops, that went over his head, as many things appear to do. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

He's always doing that., like most of us actually care,  when the post  subject is the military operating coffee shops, that went over his head, as many things appear to do. 

Maybe he was asking if I played golf ... 😂.

Back on topic, I can't see what anyone's complaining about. Not everyone in the Army works as a lean, mean killing machine all the time and there are plenty of other jobs around. When based in Gibraltar I was a tour guide for St Michael's cave when one was needed and I doubt that did much to keep the Spanish armada away.

It's all PR.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Maybe he was asking if I played golf ... 😂.

Back on topic, I can't see what anyone's complaining about. Not everyone in the Army works as a lean, mean killing machine all the time and there are plenty of other jobs around. When based in Gibraltar I was a tour guide for St Michael's cave when one was needed and I doubt that did much to keep the Spanish armada away.

It's all PR.

Yes. One in ten military are combat operators needing support from the rest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Travisa said:

I’d like to order 2 shots of espresso but scared to ask.  

I think they are delivered while you stand against a wall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yes. One in ten military are combat operators needing support from the rest. 

REMFs

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yes. One in ten military are combat operators needing support from the rest. 

I think you may need to do a tad more research - in the British regular Army, for example, out of some 75,000 troops there are still 33 infantry battalions, 13 cavalry regiments and two SF units, even if undermanned, and a lot of the rest such as AAC and Gunners are mixed "combat operators" and combat support and they'd be very put out at being downgraded to mere "support".

My point wasn't that these are "support troops" as there's nothing to suggest that, but that they simply don't spend all their time travelling the world meeting interesting people and killing them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

I think you may need to do a tad more research - in the British regular Army, for example, out of some 75,000 troops there are still 33 infantry battalions, 13 cavalry regiments and two SF units, even if undermanned, and a lot of the rest such as AAC and Gunners are mixed "combat operators" and combat support and they'd be very put out at being downgraded to mere "support".

My point wasn't that these are "support troops" as there's nothing to suggest that, but that they simply don't spend all their time travelling the world meeting interesting people and killing them.

crap hats all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

crap hats all

A veritable rainbow now, with all of 16 AA Bde wearing maroon regardless ... red, sand, shades of green, blue, brown ... one of mine was even gray ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Stonker said:

A veritable rainbow now, with all of 16 AA Bde wearing maroon regardless ... red, sand, shades of green, blue, brown ... one of mine was even gray ...

Yep, definitely not what it was. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use