News Forum - Plans shot down for property incentives to attract foreigners

Thaiger

A proposal to attract foreigners by lengthening property leaseholds from 30 years to 50 years and allowing foreign condo ownership to increase over the 49% current restriction was shot down today by the Centre for Economic Situation Administration. The committee, headed by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, rejected those proposals but did seem open to foreigners being permitted to own up to one rai of land for residential use. The land ownership issue will be sent to the Land Department for a two-month study on the feasibility of allowing foreign land ownership before they will make a proposal to the CESA to […]

The story Plans shot down for property incentives to attract foreigners as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Biggest mistake they could make.

Allowing foreigners to own land in a relatively small country will push prices sky high exluding middle class and below from ownership.

This has happened in so many other countries excluding home ownership to so many.

• Like 3

Tourism efforts are laser-focused on 4 categories of wealthy foreigners: rich pensioners, rich global citizens, professional remote workers or digital nomads, and highly-skilled professionals.

The government believes it can attract one million of these so-called high-quality foreigners over the next 5 years with an expectation that each will pump an average of one million baht per person per year into the Thai economy. They estimate a total revenue of one trillion baht from these travellers.

You can come and live here, pump millions into the economy but you are just a traveller.

Really welcoming term. Not a temporary resident, or guest resident. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Thailand doesn't want foreign ownership of it's country. Hmmmm....I don't want foreign ownership of my country either. Looks like a trend....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will buy one rai if they allow me a PR with no hassle. Already pumped millions upon millions of baht in cars, trucks, bikes, house, land and supporting wife and 3 kids. Fact is they don't want us who are already ehre, they want new ones. I really do not think iot is a good idea to open up buyinbg to every foreinger Tom-Dick-or Harry, or especially Ying, Mao or Yung, as when Chinese come to buy they come and saturate with overkill and then al lyou will see are Chinese everywhere which would be pure gross. So on that note it needs to be if you stay as a resident here and have some sort of long term attachment or you lose it. Land for married to Thai or with Thai kids divorced or partner deceased, or condo as is now for the no real attachment to a Thai. But give all of us who are proven long term folk never going to leave PR's. Make su feell godd without having to do the BS get on a list with those stupid arse hurdles.

• Like 3

Maybe the Malaysian system would work the best. A foreign national can own only one residential property, it can be a detached living house or a  condo , and only if the purchase  price is above a certain level, wich is well above the average Malaysian home price.

This way they can attract rich foreigners to come and live in the country, but avoid the rise of property prices , especially in the lower segment, so it doesnt affect poor locals.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Somchai said:

Maybe the Malaysian system would work the best. A foreign national can own only one residential property, it can be a detached living house or a  condo , and only if the purchase  price is above a certain level, wich is well above the average Malaysian home price.

This way they can attract rich foreigners to come and live in the country, but avoid the rise of property prices , especially in the lower segment, so it doesnt affect poor locals.

"to come" - might be. "to live" - not necessarily. A lot of empty million+ empty condos in Florida owned by arabs or chinese.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A proposal to attract foreigners by lengthening property leaseholds from 30 years to 50 years and allowing foreign condo ownership to increase over the 49% current restriction was shot down today by the Centre for Economic Situation Administration. The committee, headed by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, rejected those proposals but did seem open to foreigners being permitted to own up to one rai of land for residential use. The land ownership issue will be sent to the Land Department for a two-month study on the feasibility of allowing foreign land ownership before they will make a proposal to the CESA to […]

The story Plans shot down for property incentives to attract foreigners as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Land ownership is a huge improvement. 

One rai is either 1600 sq meters or a plantation, but either way it's great. 

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I will buy one rai if they allow me a PR with no hassle. Already pumped millions upon millions of baht in cars, trucks, bikes, house, land and supporting wife and 3 kids. Fact is they don't want us who are already ehre, they want new ones. I really do not think iot is a good idea to open up buyinbg to every foreinger Tom-Dick-or Harry, or especially Ying, Mao or Yung, as when Chinese come to buy they come and saturate with overkill and then al lyou will see are Chinese everywhere which would be pure gross. So on that note it needs to be if you stay as a resident here and have some sort of long term attachment or you lose it. Land for married to Thai or with Thai kids divorced or partner deceased, or condo as is now for the no real attachment to a Thai. But give all of us who are proven long term folk never going to leave PR's. Make su feell godd without having to do the BS get on a list with those stupid arse hurdles.

Pure racism. Substitute Chinese with say "white people" and see the reactions here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Pure racism. Substitute Chinese with say "white people" and see the reactions here.

@Noble_Designagreed. Should be reported? I think the FGs prohibit racism in so many words... 

"Do not defame, insult, bully, or harass, any other member, person, or organisation. Be respectful of a person’s country, race, culture, appearance, gender, sexual preference, religion, political beliefs, education, career choice and age."

https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

5 minutes ago, Vince said:

@Noble_Designagreed. Should be reported? I think the FGs prohibit racism in so many words... 

"Do not defame, insult, bully, or harass, any other member, person, or organisation. Be respectful of a person’s country, race, culture, appearance, gender, sexual preference, religion, political beliefs, education, career choice and age."

https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

I think he should get it professionally checked by a psychologist or counselor, reporting it wouldn't help him in real life. Another example of racism from him here:

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, Noble_Design said:

I think he should get it professionally checked by a psychologist or counselor, reporting it wouldn't help him in real life. Another example of racism from him here:

Unfortunately my "report poster to psychological counseling" flag button is missing. 

I think he has valid points, and I think even others Thai or non-Thai might agree with some of them, but doing it respectfully is the right way to go. 

18 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

How is it racissm when he's just pointing out a fact

Chinese have come into cities all over the globe and bought up properties so that they can get their money out of China

That's an absolute fact

And it drives up prices for the locals for people that most times don't intend to like there 

His comments on seeing Chinese everywhere may cross the line

But his other points are very valid 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Sorry but everything in moderation, and that goes for all races. I guess you never lived in CM or flew much here. Out of control before. You can substitute any race you would like if in masses. 

3 minutes ago, Vince said:

Unfortunately my "report poster to psychological counseling" flag button is missing. 

I think he has valid points, and I think even others Thai or non-Thai might agree with some of them, but doing it respectfully is the right way to go. 

I agree, everyone's a closeted racist somehow but I think he is just bringing it to an extreme level which is not healthy for him psychological wise. Some articles e.g. about the Japanese steel makers buying up Thai steel makers, somehow he still manages to drag the Chinese in even though the article never make any mention of them.

It just shows an unhealthy racist obsession with a particular race and I think he needs help. 

5 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I agree, everyone's a closeted racist somehow but I think he is just bringing it to an extreme level which is not healthy for him psychological wise. Some articles e.g. about the Japanese steel makers buying up Thai steel makers, somehow he still manages to drag the Chinese in even though the article never make any mention of them.

It just shows an unhealthy racist obsession with a particular race and I think he needs help. 

Why does he need help?

I guarantee you go to any country and ask what race is the biggest nuisance and the majority will say the Chinese 

Obviously not all of them, but way more % than any other race 

That's a pretty universal thought, IMO

And if it is universal, there is a reason behind it, no?

A lot of them lack manners, a lot of them lack any sort of situational awareness 

Now, I believe you should take every individual and judge them individually upon meeting and interacting with 

But I don't think it's racist to state facts that a lot of people, in a lot of countries find the Chinese to be a nuisance 

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

How is it racissm when he's just pointing out a fact

Chinese have come into cities all over the globe and bought up properties so that they can get their money out of China

That's an absolute fact

And it drives up prices for the locals for people that most times don't intend to like there 

His comments on seeing Chinese everywhere may cross the line

But his other points are very valid 

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sorry but everything in moderation, and that goes for all races. I guess you never lived in CM or flew much here. Out of control before. You can substitute any race you would like if in masses. 

You can refer to my comment here:

3 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I'll give you an example for you to ponder about. Imagine if in any news or article there is one person (or a few) who keeps on harping about caucasians or white people being gross because they are the majority race that visits entertainment areas targeted at foreigners. How would the other caucasians/white people who are not into those things feel?

5 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

You do not need to discuss or defame me as that is illegal. So I suggest you kindly back off and talk about something else or I will report you. Thank you.  

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Why does he need help?

I guarantee you go to any country and ask what race is the biggest nuisance and the majority will say the Chinese 

A lot of them lack manners, a lot of them lack any sort of situational awareness 

Now, I believe you should take every individual and judge them individually upon meeting and interacting with 

But I don't think it's racist to state facts that a lot of people, in a lot of countries find the Chinese to be a nuisance 

I don't interact with racists or supporters of racism (e.g. you)

7 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Unfortunately this topic is not about bad posters or racism. 

We can chat more in AOD if you like 

https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/137-all-other-discussion/

Create a topic and I'll follow up :-) 

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Why does he need help?

Thanks Marc26. 

6 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

You can refer to my comment here:

I'll give you an example for you to ponder about. Imagine if in any news or article there is one person (or a few) who keeps on harping about caucasians or white people being gross because they are the majority race that visits entertainment areas targeted at foreigners. How would the other caucasians/white people who are not into those things feel?

But it's a fact 

I think Americans have a bad reputation in a lot of places 

Now I think the negative perception is a bit over the top, but if we have that reputation, it is there for a reason, right?

How can I get offended by that

I can only be me and let people judge me on my actions when they meet me

If they don't like me simply because I'm American, they are probably not people I want to associate with anyways

Reputations happen for a reason.....

2 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I don't interact with racists or supporters of racism (e.g. you)

What did I say that is racist?

I actually said that you should judge everyone you meet and interact as an individual, that is the opposite of racism

But as I said, I do think reputations can be deserved.

If you can't have an adult, nuisanced debate without calling people a racist, that's on you

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But it's a fact 

I think Americans have a bad reputation in a lot of places 

Now I think the negative perception is a bit over the top, but if we have that reputation, it is there for a reason, right?

How can I get offended by that

I can only be me and let people judge me on my actions when they meet me

If they don't like me simply because I'm American, they are probably not people I want to associate with anyways

Reputations happen for a reason.....

Not on topic and also racist victim blaming. Just because you pretend to be American 🏈 doesn't mean you have carte blanche to say anti-Americanism is justified. 

Let's discuss in AOD --> https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/137-all-other-discussion/

9 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Biggest mistake they could make.

Allowing foreigners to own land in a relatively small country will push prices sky high exluding middle class and below from ownership.

This has happened in so many other countries excluding home ownership to so many.

Yes and no. 

Wealth disparity is a huge issue and deserves its own topic. See you in AOD:

https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/137-all-other-discussion/