News Forum - Mask rules enforcement starts with campaigns in Bangla and Phuket Town

Thaiger

I'm in a country with over 1 million active cases. Despite that, there are people who flout the rules around masks. This week in my home state we had some actual, undeniable statistics (even by anti mask, anitvax, freedom warrior types). I'm talking from the experience of a country now overrun with Omicron. One in 25 have Omicron. At least that's what is reported from PCR and Rapid Antigen Tests (yes we register both now). The real figure is probably 4 times that at best guess. The statistic proven is that unvaccinated people are 24 times more likely to end up in ICU on a ventilator than vaccinated people. 

The race doesn't always go to the swiftest....the fight doesn't always go to the strongest....but you'd be a complete IDIOT if you didn't bet that way. So yes, I'll continue to wear a mask, keep safe distance, wash my hands regularly and get vaccinated. I had my third vaccination yesterday. 

I think the softly, softly approach of the Thai Police is a good start. But once warned, it's time to start fining and confining...or deporting. Compliance will soon follow.....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rob2010 said:

firstly the stupid, boorish and ignorant, and secondly a section of the young who feel both entitled and that the world should live as they do.

I don't know which category I would fit in but I am not so young any more lol.

To be honest I think it is that people are just so tired of these masks that any opportunity to be free of one for even a little while is a positive. Some people are even having to resort to wearing napkins on top of their ears due to irritated skin. While wearing a mask is law, there is also the law of common sense. I know I don't need a mask when I am walking on a beach with no one within 100 meters. I know I don't need a mask when I am in a park with no one within 10 m. I also know I need a mask when I am on the BTS or MRT or anywhere where people are milling about in close proximity, if not for my health it is out of respect for other's health both mental and physical. Most of it I feel is mental but I am not the judge and jury of who is susceptible and at risk if they catch COVID. If only government(s) were so strict about relations with massage workers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Transam said:

And to think my dad was called up and given a gun, I wonder if the strap irritated his shoulder and he complained.....🤣

Dont forget the gas mask

3 hours ago, AdamW said:

Sad ! In the age of ,To be fair ,it wasn’t debunked ,It got a “mixture “ rating !

I’ve seen some very disgusting dirty looking masks being worn , by all kinds of peoples! Those disposable ones sometimes last and last and last and last ,until the elastic breaks . Can kids be trusted with exercising cleanliness, me thinks not!

To the topic, wear the mask here its the law .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Because it's the law. If you don't like it, don't come here.

I think he was asking a slightly more specific question of the logic / sense of it (of which there is none, of course). But your answer will at leas help one person, yourself .

I have to say, I'm quite startled by the general attitude of a lot of expats on here. The "if you don't like it don't come", and "don't bring your COVID here" kind of thing.

I joined here to get advice on the situation in Thailand purely as a tourist but get the impression this isn't the best place. I've made my position clear about the overly Draconian measures to enter Thailand, and adding myself to the near endless list of holiday makers who are not coming, and won't come until things change, partly to add to the voices of concern. But on the whole the response seems to be hostile.

I find it most odd as, a) Thailand wont ever stop covid arriving b) Thailand relies on tourism for a huge (18%) chunk of its GDP, money on which you all depend on. Without that money your favourite bars and restaurants will close, ferry services will remain unviable, etc.

The conversation should be about being welcoming. "It's the law" doesn't help anyone other than reinforce Thailand is currently entirely unwelcoming.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Dodgey said:

I think he was asking a slightly more specific question of the logic / sense of it (of which there is none, of course). But your answer will at leas help one person, yourself .

I have to say, I'm quite startled by the general attitude of a lot of expats on here. The "if you don't like it don't come", and "don't bring your COVID here" kind of thing.

I joined here to get advice on the situation in Thailand purely as a tourist but get the impression this isn't the best place. I've made my position clear about the overly Draconian measures to enter Thailand, and adding myself to the near endless list of holiday makers who are not coming, and won't come until things change, partly to add to the voices of concern. But on the whole the response seems to be hostile.

I find it most odd as, a) Thailand wont ever stop covid arriving b) Thailand relies on tourism for a huge (18%) chunk of its GDP, money on which you all depend on. Without that money your favourite bars and restaurants will close, ferry services will remain unviable, etc.

The conversation should be about being welcoming. "It's the law" doesn't help anyone other than reinforce Thailand is currently entirely unwelcoming.

I agree with you unfortunately some don’t want to obey rules and laws and constantly have to be reminded, no smoking , helmet ,no dumping signs! Its a sad reminder of how some are!

And when these coppers come callin with abuse and enforcement what then! People are in a different country obey their laws

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

Who gives a sh1t - it's the law, end of story.

(and FWIW it's a popular and well observed one).

So if the law tells you to put knickers on your head because that will protect you from fake news, aliens and 5G radiation you will observe that because it is the "law". By the way just use words instead of abbreviations, I had to look up what FWIW meant. For what it's worth only took me about 2 seconds to type in the full 4 words.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Donald said:

So if the law tells you to put knickers on your head because that will protect you from fake news, aliens and 5G radiation you will observe that because it is the "law". By the way just use words instead of abbreviations, I had to look up what FWIW meant. For what it's worth only took me about 2 seconds to type in the full 4 words.

If the law does that, what will you do?

Ridiculous though the notion is...........😀

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Are there particular types of masks that they prefer or have been officially chosen to fit the narrative? 

I'm not in jeopardy if I'm wearing anything I wish, am I?

A 30 year Bang Kwang stint if I don't comply? 

Oh my!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Could someone explain to me the need to wear a mask when outside walking alone on the street whilst you can go in a bar packed full of people and take it off.

A zen Buddhist monk once told me, while explaining to me the various temple practices, "do what other people are doing."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dodgey said:

This was the post and question, in its entireity:

9 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Could someone explain to me the need to wear a mask when outside walking alone on the street whilst you can go in a bar packed full of people and take it off.

I answered the question asked.

The "need" is because it's the law and, as I said elsewhere, because that's how Thais want it in their country.

The reason a lot of people here (in Thailand and on the forum) are "hostile" is because a lot of us who live here, and have lived here for quite a while, are sick of people who don't live here thinking they're bringing "money [we] all depend on" so that entitles them to behave as they want, not as they should.

You're not, and it doesn't.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Right, I'm going to move in next door and play music at unreasonable volumes until 3am. Don't want to get called a statistard, now do I?

Then when a bloke comes to stab me I'll let him. 😉

Goodbye cruel world, it's been a pleasure.

Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong, so ask yourself, why do we still CHOOSE wrong?

2 hours ago, Donald said:

If I chose to go to a country where it's the law, YES.

If I don't like it, I simply wouldn't go there - particularly when the vast majority of the population not only obey that particular law but strongly support.

Why would you go to a country where you don't want to obey their laws and to behave as the vast majority expect you to?

... and you wonder why people like you aren't welcomed with open arms ... Jeez Looise ...

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Vince said:

A zen Buddhist monk once told me, while explaining to me the various temple practices, "do what other people are doing."

When in Rome ... and if you don't like it, don't go to Rome!

• Cool 1

Umm ... I chose to come here. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

Why come here if you don't want to accept how things are done - and why stay?

Are people really that desperate and that unwanted elsewhere that they can't leave or find somewhere they'd prefer to be?

21 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Thailand's a freekin' joke at the moment... stay where you are...it has to be way, way better. This country isn't even a shadow of its former self... seriously... save your time and money!! 

Maybe you could help me out - why are you here if it's that bad?

Edited by Faz
removed off topic quote
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Umm ... I chose to come here. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

Why come here if you don't want to accept how things are done - and why stay?

Are people really that desperate and that unwanted elsewhere that they can't leave or find somewhere they'd prefer to be?

Just making a philosophical point. I love Thailand. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Transam said:

The modern day pansies would be ridiculed if back then.........😬

Do you mean the pansies who insist on wearing a mask when there is no one around or even when sitting in their own living room alone? Or the pansies who sit around all day long writing nonsense on forums? Not sure which you are referring too

• Haha 1

I live in UK (South coast) and I find about 90% conform in supermarkets and say 95% on public transport. Since I'm almost 78 years old I'm not inclined to challenge those that don't comply. 

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, SkipsPa said:

I live in UK (South coast) and I find about 90% conform in supermarkets and say 95% on public transport. Since I'm almost 78 years old I'm not inclined to challenge those that don't comply. 

And why should you? 

Enforcement is for the constabulary. 

You're not Charles Bronson (the prisoner or actor). 

9 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong.

There's a universal standard throughout all the world's cultures? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DesperateOldHand said:

There's a universal standard throughout all the world's cultures? 

I may have to admit... I may be wrong? 🤣🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vince said:

And why should you? 

Enforcement is for the constabulary. 

You're not Charles Bronson (the prisoner or actor). 

Unfortunately there are some members on here that like to think they are Bronson or Bruce Willis.

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

This was the post and question, in its entireity:

I answered the question asked.

The "need" is because it's the law and, as I said elsewhere, because that's how Thais want it in their country.

The reason a lot of people here (in Thailand and on the forum) are "hostile" is because a lot of us who live here, and have lived here for quite a while, are sick of people who don't live here thinking they're bringing "money [we] all depend on" so that entitles them to behave as they want, not as they should.

You're not, and it doesn't.

Fair comment