News Forum - More lost tourists with Covid-19 break Phuket quarantine for Samui

Thaiger

Police have yet to confirm whether they found several missing Russians – a single man and a separate couple – who left hotels in Phuket before finishing mandatory hotel quarantine periods only to be found to be positive for Covid-19. But the hunt for Covid-19 infected tourists is on yet again, as Phuket Tourist Police are looking for any information on the whereabouts of an Estonian couple who left their quarantine hotel in Patong after one of them tested positive for Covid-19 and are believed to be in Koh Samui. The Estonian couple, 49 year old Janika Prussakova and 53 […]

The story More lost tourists with Covid-19 break Phuket quarantine for Samui as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Money talks.

Chinese , Indians and Russians gave almost 90% of tourism revenue in 2019, and now, since November the biggest source of tourism revenue  came from  Russians.

But its the same also in the Caribbean, Kenya and Zanzibar , the vast majority of tourists are Russians now.

Many people dont like Russians but they love their money.

Edited by Faz
quote removed.

They left a day before the results came back that mean they leave the same day as they arrive is it maybe that the test results came a day late? 
maybe they think we hear nothing so it must be ok 

• Like 1

This testing is totally  insane and useless in the time of Omicron.

In the US they find almost a million positive cases daily , tens of millions in January but the actual number must be much higher.

In France they find about 300 000 cases daily, millions and millions just in January.

So ,there is hardly anyone now who managed to avoid this infection.

• Like 1

They said that hotel staff observed the two climbing into an air-conditioned transfer van with 2 other tourists, heading across the country to the island of Koh Samui yesterday morning

Question: And WHY did no one call the police at that time? There is, for a van, only one way of the island! That is the problem! In case, the test would have been negative, the Hotel would not even think about, informing anyone about people, who are leaving before results are back.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, only the few, who get tested positive, that get reported about leaving before the results are back. Noone ever will tell about all the others, who did the same, but had negative tests coming in, later!

foreigners are always a problem for countries without freedom and democracy,

they will breaking crazy rules of a junta, and even russians will do it

Edited by satpete

This story has way too many holes in it. How does one check out of a hotel without well checking out? Is this the first or second test? For not knowing anything why are they believed to be going to Samui? Why is the couple from Estonia called “Russian”? I wonder how a Thai couple would feel if they were called Burmese or Cambodian in European media. Did they fly from from Estonia to Thailand to take an 8 hour bus and ferry from Phuket to Samui?  

But honestly with reported PCR confirmed cases at 9,000 daily and unreported cases multiples higher what is the significance of a couple of cases a month seemingly mostly innocent mistakes. How many confirmed Thai people have broken their home isolation? Oh yeah the government sees fit to only blame tourists and beer drinkers for their own covid failures. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:17 PM, Paco said:

Again Russians

Such a cool representative: most ppl think estonians = russians. Would be it ok if Russia annexes Estonia? Shall they start with Ukraine? It's the same-same too.

Edited by Faz
edited removing 2 quotes
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Somchai said:

This testing is totally  insane and useless in the time of Omicron.

In the US they find almost a million positive cases daily , tens of millions in January but the actual number must be much higher.

In France they find about 300 000 cases daily, millions and millions just in January.

So ,there is hardly anyone now who managed to avoid this infection.

Totally agree, what is the point of all this testing, thought they were going to live with covid now, if you are in hospital ill and you need to know what you have, yeah totally test people, otherwise it's all pointless...zero covid days have long gone, Omrican is absolutely everywhere, but affects very few people badly...cold!!!. So all this testing is achieving is making some people lot's of money, and putting off tourists from coming to Thailand

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paco said:

People just do as they please... no control whatsoever

If that's the impression the sandbox will become more heavily monitored and requirements will become stricter. 

Oh joy. 

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, 1l1 said:

Such a cool representative: most ppl think estonians = russians. Would be it ok if Russia annexes Estonia? Shall they start with Ukraine? It's the same-same too.

I was thinking that too. Estonians aren't Russians :-) 

Something about these evil doer tourists scurrying away to infect the community just doesn’t sound right… 
Do all these people that do a runner never actually check out of their hotels? They must just Spider-Man down from their room balconies and race away. And how long is it taking to get these test results back if people are LONG GONE by the time a positive result is eventually delivered to the hotel? Thais are not known for their prompt response times, attention to detail or sticking to the rules. Here’s a simple idea - $1,000 deposit per person payable at check in and refundable upon checkout with a final negative Covid test result. And some sort of financial … motivation (fine)! to get these test results back promptly. Why should people be stuck for additional days in a hotel because the people that sold them the test drag their flip flops getting the results back. Tests results returned in 24 hours or the supplier pays for the room. 

Edited by Fanta
Fine the test seller

I've seen more than one altercation with Thai's asking a foreigner to wear their mask, because many just don't. Don't care about personal opinion, it's the law and it's not your country.

Russians invading your personal space and being rude and obnoxious to Thai and farang alike.

I drove though Patong a couple of days ago, although I usually avoid it like the (literal) plague, nobody cares about anything there.

Just another day in the Phuket Petri Dish Sandbox.

I wonder just how many times I have to be infected with covid this year because of people living their best selfish life. 

8 hours ago, 1l1 said:

Indeed, but really it simply gives you an indication of the level of hate, lack of humanity, lack of objectivity and generalisations of some commentators here (so easy in front of a computer, how many of them would say the same face to face?). I do not know the exact number but quite a few Russians (not Estonians, for those who do not understand the difference, do some basic historical and geographical researches) have been coming to Thailand the last few months with 2 or 3 that did not follow the rules... I wonder how the 99,..% of them that have followed the rules like everybody else feel when reading the generalisations of some here?? I have a rough idea though...

9 minutes ago, Manu said:

. I do not know the exact number but quite a few Russians (not Estonians, for those who do not understand the difference, do some basic historical and geographical researches) have been coming to Thailand the last few months with 2 or 3 that did not follow the rules... I wonder how the 99,..% of them that have followed the rules

Appology for my ignorance, but at least there, where I see and run into russian speakers, there must this mentioned 99% be hiding in the hotel rooms, then.

My personal (subjective) observation ist, that 2 out of 3 have always trouble, to wear a mask at all or wear it OVER  nose and mouth. And I mean indoors, 7/11s and such. Ratio is a bit better, in central, I have to admit there they have almost always minmum a mask under the chin or nose.

Interesting fact, there is no difference in male or female. Both dont care equaly.

Aside that females often even pull the mask totally down, when speaking to their own or on the phone.

Lost tourist, lost in translation and lost plot... TnG v2 will only see more of this... People won't even show up for day 5 testing, let alone wait for their results.

6 hours ago, Vince said:

If that's the impression the sandbox will become more heavily monitored and requirements will become stricter. 

Oh joy. 

It is about time

1 minute ago, Paco said:

It is about time

I too welcome strict enforcement of clear guidelines. 

I would prefer it's not because of high profile tourists who lead police on a wild goose chase first. That may be too late. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vince said:

I too welcome strict enforcement of clear guidelines. 

I would prefer it's not because of high profile tourists who lead police on a wild goose chase first. That may be too late. 

For me it seems phuket can do everything, and they keep on making excuses while other places not even got a chance to re open plain wrong