News Forum - Thailand News Today | New Test & Go program draws huge criticism!

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

That's why I believe that someone is making good money on these ridiculous restrictions. People are more often greedy than completely stupid.

And about foreigners mistreatment: a lot of people already told here that it makes no sense to severely punish asymptomatic tourists with 10-days quarantine in over-priced hospitels when they have 8k new local omicron cases without any tourists involved. It just looks like they want us to spend 10 times more money than we expected in Thailand for very shitty service in return.

As been pointed out numerous times

Thais are being put into hospitals, or were, at a much higher clip than any tourists

But that doesn't matter to you guys just wanting to state false info so you can complain 

My stepson did 2 14 day quarantines in his University hospital simply by leaving on school breaks

Oh and no extra payment needed, so there goes your profiting conspiracy 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vince said:

I've heard some people say they self quarantine and some reports of field hospitals. Are hospital hotels different from "Sha extra plus" hotels? 

How do you get $2500 (cad? Aud? Usd?) - days and rate please. 

This seems like a murky link to the frequent "Thai corruption" that seems so popular a theme to explain anything with absolutely no proof. 

"Highly likely" because you say so? 

2500+ CAD is the amount of money that one particular person from Canada had to pay for her forced stay in a hospital hotel. And please take into account that there is no guarantee that a tourist can get any hospital hotel accommodation for this or better money on short notice.

As for "Sha extra plus" hotels, they are much more affordable but for some reason a tourist has no option of self-isolating in such hotel. Instead, she or he will be put in some rather uncomfortable room (without even AC in case of that Canadian person) and locked. For me overpriced forced shitty service is always a big red flag saying that corrupted officials are likely involved.

As for the "to go or not to go" question, please believe me I am thinking about it thoroughly right now. I have a flight coming to BKK on Feb 19 and I am really confused about it...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

As been pointed out numerous times

Thais are being put into hospitals, or were, at a much higher clip than any tourists

But that doesn't matter to you guys just wanting to state false info so you can complain 

My stepson did 2 14 day quarantines in his University hospital simply by leaving on school breaks

Oh and no extra payment needed, so there goes your profiting conspiracy 

I seriously doubt that they will not rip me of my money if I get tested positive on one of these 3 PCR tests.

What does it mean: "no extra payment needed"? 

As far as I know, they can easily charge 2500 CAD for hospital hotel forced stay. It does not sound as "no extra payment needed". Especially, if I need to pay them first and then try to get coverage from my insurance company. Have you ever heard about insurance companies refusing to cover this hospital hotel stay for asymptomatic tourists?

7 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

2500+ CAD is the amount of money that one particular person from Canada had to pay for her forced stay in a hospital hotel. And please take into account that there is no guarantee that a tourist can get any hospital hotel accommodation for this or better money on short notice.

As for "Sha extra plus" hotels, they are much more affordable but for some reason a tourist has no option of self-isolating in such hotel. Instead, she or he will be put in some rather uncomfortable room (without even AC in case of that Canadian person) and locked. For me overpriced forced shitty service is always a big red flag saying that corrupted officials are likely involved

Can your share the source of the story of the Canadian please? This is exactly the kind of story I want to hear about (with details like cost, etc). 

7 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

As for the "to go or not to go" question, please believe me I am thinking about it thoroughly right now. I have a flight coming to BKK on Feb 19 and I am really confused about it...

With the Sword of Damocles of a unpredictable $2500CAD bill, I'd go to the Dominican Republic :-) 

Just now, Dmitrii said:

I seriously doubt that they will not rip me of my money if I get tested positive on one of these 3 PCR tests.

What does it mean: "no extra payment needed"? 

As far as I know, they can easily charge 2500 CAD for hospital hotel forced stay. It does not sound as "no extra payment needed". Especially, if I need to pay them first and then try to get coverage from my insurance company. Have you ever heard about insurance companies refusing to cover this hospital hotel stay for asymptomatic tourists?

I meant for my stepson

They are putting Thais in hospital and not getting payment, so that's not the motivation 

They have even over zealous with putting people in hospitals from the start 

Did you see that they may introduce a new insurance to cover hotel stays now?

I agree it should be covered under the 50k usd they make you buy

But it doesn't

This new insurance will cost another 800 baht and supposedly cover your hotel stay up to 30k baht 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

In today’s news, more talks on insurance coverage for asymptomatic travelers. Meanwhile, Thailand and Saudi Arabia trying to renew their relations after 3 decades of frostiness, and the latest talks on legalizing e-cigarettes in Thailand. All this is coming up in today’s program. You’re watching Thailand News Today, bringing you the top headlines in Thailand and beyond. And in today’s news,  The Thai government wants to offer more Covid insurance options to foreign tourists whose own insurance does not cover hospital or hotel isolation in cases of asymptomatic infection.  The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand says officials are […]

The story Thailand News Today | Talks of insurance coverage for asymptomatic travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

6 hours ago, Vince said:

This assumes that tourism is inflexible, that current policies won't change, etc. 

There is no "no tourism" scenario unless Thailand becomes North Korea II and even NK has tourists! 

So if crime surges the criminals are irrelevant, it's about the police who don't catch them? 

Maybe a problem is about everyone involved? 

As opposed to the cohesive and convincing British, American, or Brazilian regimes? 

Does it?  Not knowing who people like you are (and I'm not asking, don't ask don't tell is my motto) - you are assuming current actions are forever. 

A dramatic statement but no scenario other than border closure aka North Korea II would be "no tourism". 

Maybe Thailand wants fewer tourists so it can stop managing them so much? Who knows? 

I suspect I didn't express myself clearly enough, my fault. So just fir the avoidance of doubt/misunderstanding:

1. Surely enough enforcement itself will not fend off hard core criminals. But with regards to the need to comply with the obligation to wear masks which seems to be ignored by many foreign tourists this could be remedied if Thai authorities are willing to take action (as they now to in Phuket).

2. "Tourists like me". Just referring to the fact that I am not an ex-pat or retiree who permanently lives in Thailand. We can agree that there is a spectrum of tourists coming here, from those who look for night life, others enjoying the beaches and beautiful nature etc.

3. Surely we will see changes to come in the future depending of the (unforseeable) development of the pandemy. All I can relate to is therefore the current situation. And I personally do not find the rules that Thailand currently imposes for tourists enticing. Maybe that's only me, but I suspect that this also applies to other potential tourists contemplating travelling to Thailand. Not more, not less.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fundok said:

I suspect I didn't express myself clearly enough, my fault. So just fir the avoidance of doubt/misunderstanding:

1. Surely enough enforcement itself will not fend off hard core criminals. But with regards to the need to comply with the obligation to wear masks which seems to be ignored by many foreign tourists this could be remedied if Thai authorities are willing to take action (as they now to in Phuket).

Yes, but it is the fault of tourists if they break the law. Poor or inconsistent enforcement does not justify non-compliance. 

Strict enforcement seems to be coming, so maybe this is all moot. 

2. "Tourists like me". Just referring to the fact that I am not an ex-pat or retiree who permanently lives in Thailand. We can agree that there is a spectrum of tourists coming here, from those who look for night life, others enjoying the beaches and beautiful nature etc.

Yes, agreed. 

3. Surely we will see changes to come in the future depending of the (unforseeable) development of the pandemy. All I can relate to is therefore the current situation. And I personally do not find the rules that Thailand currently imposes for tourists enticing. Maybe that's only me, but I suspect that this also applies to other potential tourists contemplating travelling to Thailand. Not more, not less.

Absolutely agree about overall not being enticing, but not because of (fixed, well announced) rules. 

I think its not enticing because it's unpredictable. If I'm being subjected to mandatory testing that's fine. But I want to have control over my treatment options.

If I paid for a "Sha extra plus hotel" that is capable of hotel quarantine (?) Why can't I self quarantine as a choice? 

And the compulsory insurance and involuntary treatment options don't seem to align - more surprises. 

I think quality tourists may be willing to risk a hotel quarantine (bad luck, Netflix for you) but not thousands(?) in uninsured expense and involuntary (hospital? Field hospital?hotel hospital?) quarantine. 

But agreed. Not enticing. 

17 minutes ago, Vince said:

Yes, but it is the fault of tourists if they break the law. Poor or inconsistent enforcement does not justify non-compliance. 

Strict enforcement seems to be coming, so maybe this is all moot. 

Yes, agreed. 

Absolutely agree about overall not being enticing, but not because of (fixed, well announced) rules. 

I think its not enticing because it's unpredictable. If I'm being subjected to mandatory testing that's fine. But I want to have control over my treatment options.

If I paid for a "Sha extra plus hotel" that is capable of hotel quarantine (?) Why can't I self quarantine as a choice? 

And the compulsory insurance and involuntary treatment options don't seem to align - more surprises. 

I think quality tourists may be willing to risk a hotel quarantine (bad luck, Netflix for you) but not thousands(?) in uninsured expense and involuntary (hospital? Field hospital?hotel hospital?) quarantine. 

But agreed. Not enticing. 

Clarification, once again:

If the mask wearing rules are consequently enforced, I am convinced the vast majority of the tourists will comply. The few ones that remain calcitrant may face the well deserved  enforcement action.

However, I think that the general mask wearing obligation should be revised to increase acceptance. In densely crowded places like Bangla Road for sure mask wearing makes sense. If I am joywalking by myself or with my wife on a deserted beach or road, there is no infection risk for me/us or anyone else. But this is of course a decision that needs to be taken by the Thai authorities.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:50 AM, Dmitrii said:

It is easy to explain: let's say that you have spent $500 for your hotel booking and transfer + $1000 for your entertainment. So, you have brought $1500 to Thailand and please be assured that their government will have their fair share of this money.

Now let's imagine that you have been tested positive on day 1 or day 5 or 3 days before departure. Then you will be put into a hospital hotel and all of a sudden you will have to spend $2500+ in addition. So, you are spending at least $3000 now. So, their government will have at least 2 times more money from you and your insurance company. 

And we should not forget about corruption - highly likely these quarantine facilities are either linked to Thais in power or share their profits or simply have bribed them up front.

You mean like all the testing companies in UK linked to MPs and Lords?

On 1/25/2022 at 2:50 AM, Dmitrii said:

It is easy to explain: let's say that you have spent $500 for your hotel booking and transfer + $1000 for your entertainment. So, you have brought $1500 to Thailand and please be assured that their government will have their fair share of this money.

Now let's imagine that you have been tested positive on day 1 or day 5 or 3 days before departure. Then you will be put into a hospital hotel and all of a sudden you will have to spend $2500+ in addition. So, you are spending at least $3000 now. So, their government will have at least 2 times more money from you and your insurance company. 

And we should not forget about corruption - highly likely these quarantine facilities are either linked to Thais in power or share their profits or simply have bribed them up front.

If you only budgeted $1500 for your vacation you must be a begpacker or something equal. The added cost of covid testing is for you and others safety. If your worried about testing positive and being forced to go to the hospital, you have insurance that is mandatory.  You sound very cheap and entitled. Stop trying to mooch off others and pay your own way.

Just now, LoongFred said:

If you only budgeted $1500 for your vacation you must be a begpacker or something equal. The added cost of covid testing  are for you and others safety. If your worried about testing positive and being forced to go to the hospital, you have insurance that is mandatory.  You sound very cheap and entitled. Stop trying to mooch off others and pay your own way.

12 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

If you only budgeted $1500 for your vacation you must be a begpacker or something equal. The added cost of covid testing is for you and others safety. If your worried about testing positive and being forced to go to the hospital, you have insurance that is mandatory.  You sound very cheap and entitled. Stop trying to mooch off others and pay your own way.

I agree. Anyone traveling to another country during this pandemic should plan for the worst case and if that outcome isn’t acceptable then stay at home. Travelling then whining because you have to follow local rules is not smart and projects a sense of entitlement. I remember a few years ago cases of western backpackers sitting on Khaosan Road begging for money to get home. I presume that they were the begpackers you referred to

Edited by Stevejm
  • Thanks 1