News Forum - Food group denies hoarding pork after authorities raid warehouse

Thaiger

In a continued spat after Songkhla livestock authorities discovered over 200 tonnes of pork in a refrigerated warehouse, the company accused of hoarding the pork insisted it has not been doing so. The company, Betagro, which is one of Thailand’s leading agro-industry and food businesses, issued a letter of clarification yesterday, stating that the frozen meat belongs to its subsidiary and was being kept in the rented warehouse to meet consumers’ demands for the next week. Betagro emphasised that storing their meat in the warehouse is normal in the food supply industry. It says it is willing to fully cooperate […]

The story Food group denies hoarding pork after authorities raid warehouse as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Hoarding or storing by one of Thailand’s largest suppliers of moo?

adult pigs typically weigh between 50 and 350 kg (110 and 770 lb), with well-fed individuals even exceeding this range.” 

200,000 kg of pork / 50kg per carcass = 4,000 piggies. 
Hardly seems like excessive stock to me in a country with a population of 66 million. 

Edited by Fanta
Added population

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

In a continued spat after Songkhla livestock authorities discovered over 200 tonnes of pork in a refrigerated warehouse, the company accused of hoarding the pork insisted it has not been doing so. The company, Betagro, which is one of Thailand’s leading agro-industry and food businesses, issued a letter of clarification yesterday, stating that the frozen meat belongs to its subsidiary and was being kept in the rented warehouse to meet consumers’ demands for the next week. Betagro emphasised that storing their meat in the warehouse is normal in the food supply industry. It says it is willing to fully cooperate […]

The story Food group denies hoarding pork after authorities raid warehouse as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is sad. I hope it was a mistake case like the business said. 

Pork hoarding should not be tolerated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

This is sad. I hope it was a mistake case like the business said. 

Pork hoarding should not be tolerated. 

Perhaps the hoarders should be burnt at the steak?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

Perhaps the hoarders should be burnt at the steak?

I am confident the government can find an appropriate solution. 

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Surely that must be BBQ sauce.

The Thai government is capable of doing it's best for the Thai people. 

High prices and food shortages can povoke outbreaks of violence (or it has in other countries I've read about) as well as increase a general sense of frustration during this long pandemic. 

I hope this and other similar food problems can be resolved favorably and quickly. 

• 5 weeks later...

Betagro make a lot of processed pork, ie sausages, pork balls, etc which are used by street vendors.

Thousands of street vendors probably use a kilo+ every day.

200,000 kgs  is only a couple of days in Bangkok alone.

It was just a matter of time before producers would start price gouging under the guise (real or imagined) of food shortages and "supply chain issues"? I don't believe there are real food shortages or that the Thai/ASEAN food supply chain is that complex to have suddenly broken down. And even if I'm wrong, one thing for certain, this has only just begun.