News Forum - Australian news outlet places Indonesian capital in Bali in online map screw-up

Thaiger

An Australian news outlet has had to replace a map they uploaded online that mistakenly placed the Indonesian capital Jakarta on the island of Bali. 9News attracted some ridicule, not least among Indonesians, after the inaccurate map went viral, according to a Coconuts report. The report acknowledges that to some outsiders, Bali is Indonesia, or to others, it’s almost seen as a country in its own right. Still, the news outlet has been criticised for seemingly needing a geography lesson. The map as it appeared on the site. It has now been replaced with a more accurate version. 9News was […]

The story Australian news outlet places Indonesian capital in Bali in online map screw-up as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

Don't book a holiday with Channel 9, you could end up anywhere.

I'd wet myself if some Aussies ended up in Shanghai. 😅

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, palooka said:

Don't book a holiday with Channel 9, you could end up anywhere.

I wanted to book a ticket to Seoul, but I changed my mind, as I might end up in Pyongyang. 

But, ok, they are a news channel and should be accurate, but is it news that some people don't know geography? Besides that, they're gonna change their capital anyway. Still in another place though 😂

10 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Australia has been closed for so long, the cartography is from before the tectonic plates shifted.

I've heard that the even have developed a whole different language by now and also look completely different than other humans in the rest of the world. 😂

• Haha 1

I know other news, I discovered where all the Chinese tourists went after they stopped  visiting Thailand in 2020. 

In 2020, Australia was the largest feeder market for direct foreign tourist arrivals to Bali, Indonesia. In that year, Australians made around 222 thousands visits to Bali. Chinese tourists made up the second-largest group of arrivals to Bali, at 117 thousand million arrivals.

Source - https://www.statista.com/statistics/976916/most-direct-foreign-tourist-arrivals-by-country-to-bali-indonesia/