Partner tested positive for Cov-19

Hi everyone, 

Not sure if this belongs here but it may be a warning to anyone taking rules too easy, as I probably did and Thailand might not be the right destination for now:

I few days ago I posted a question here how the second PCR Test can get done for Test & Go etc. Well, my girlfriend and I got it done but needed another test for getting back home to Germany with Ethihad. 

We received a call by the reception staff of our hotel the next morning 7am after the test was taken, that, unfortunately, my girlfriend has found to be positive for Covid and we needed to stay in our room until further notice is given by hotel management and officials but can already start packing up our stuff, around noon we will be transferred to a hospital where further massures will be tanken. 

I was kinda shocked, my gf had been devestated. 

About 2 p.m. we were called again and they let us know to please leave the room now, taking baggage with us and put it in the ambulance that was parked nearby our room. 

We arrived at some, so called, hospitel after 30 mins which is basically a plain hotel with medical staff available. Tested Temperaturen, that's it. They explained to us that my gf needs to be isolated for at least 10 days since she has no symptoms but tested positive, and I could go anywhere after isolating seperately and testing negative again after 72 hours. 

Since I denied and told them not leaving her alone, they explained that isolation, in one room together, is possible but if I tested positive at some point, my Isolation will start from day 1 to 10.

Agreed to that, we are now here and the hospitel room is quite alright and probably much better than some Youtube or Instagram idiots are posting since they need to gain clicks for making it look like as bad as they can. Food is lausy but sustainable. We are lucky to have a balkony and staff is nice. 

We are 3x vaccinated and havent done a single Party nor being to a barhere, just at the Beach and Pool area. Really tried to be careful but it hasnt helped anyway. My gf is totally down still. Iam ok with the situation but feel sorry for having taken her here. I love Thailand and wanted to show her this beautiful country. Probably not at the right time...  

Bottom line, you may not be unlucky as we are but may think twice before coming here. Even if Test and "Go" is back in place. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Thanks for the update on your situation 

That's a bummer 

But I think you can be very careful and catch covid

I would tell your gf to think of this isolation as a time to relax and decompress 

It's really the only thing you can do

Hope everything works out for you guys 

• Like 1

How many days have you got left on your visa? You will see on here people being fined for overstay because they were in isolation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

How many days have you got left on your visa? You will see on here people being fined for overstay because they were in isolation

We would be having a few days left if we will be released after 10 days. I just spoke some coordination stuff here who was quite nice. He said that they could help us with the visa if this would get a problem in terms of overstaying. Also, they would be able to buy top-ups for our mobiles since WiFi wont work properly.

• Like 1

Good story Hans , be careful! Hope your insurance takes care of everything if the need arises!

I hope you and yours next test comes out neg.

Give us a update as time goes by.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hans007 said:

We would be having a few days left if we will be released after 10 days. I just spoke some coordination stuff here who was quite nice. He said that they could help us with the visa if this would get a problem in terms of overstaying. Also, they would be able to buy top-ups for our mobiles since WiFi wont work properly.

OK good get someone to help you, the other stories I have read looks like the guys just turned up at the airport already on over stay, 

Mate so great to see you stayed with your girlfriend, me and my wife will be arriving 13th February phuket from Australia. The second covid test is a worry,  after 6 days need another test. Priority will be to keep away from other people which is what we don't want, we want enjoy the thai markets and street life.  Australia did better through covid than almost every country and after reaching 90%+ vaccination they realised need to open.   To come melbourne now just need a Rat test 24 hrs after you arrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChilisHot said:

Mate so great to see you stayed with your girlfriend, me and my wife will be arriving 13th February phuket from Australia. The second covid test is a worry,  after 6 days need another test. Priority will be to keep away from other people which is what we don't want, we want enjoy the thai markets and street life.  Australia did better through covid than almost every country and after reaching 90%+ vaccination they realised need to open.   To come melbourne now just need a Rat test 24 hrs after you arrive. 

I totally understand that you guys are looking very much forward to this vacation as we did and the percentage of positive tested tourists is still not that high so I guess that staying away from crowded areas, parties etc. will help anyway. My gf and I are simpy a part of the low percentage unlucky ones.

Apart from sitting on the balkony and reading I did nothing today so far but spoke to a women from Switzerland who is located the room next to us. She is 81, her husband 83. He got tested positive on arrival in Phuket the first day, she was negative. After 5 days together in quarantine she tested positive as well so they are going to be here for a total of 15 days, luckily without severe sympthoms what is probably very rare at this age. She said that they overcame much more difficult times while being married and this would be very easy test for both of them compared to others... Probably she is right I thought and felt a little better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hans007 said:

I totally understand that you guys are looking very much forward to this vacation as we did and the percentage of positive tested tourists is still not that high so I guess that staying away from crowded areas, parties etc. will help anyway. My gf and I are simpy a part of the low percentage unlucky ones.

Apart from sitting on the balkony and reading I did nothing today so far but spoke to a women from Switzerland who is located the room next to us. She is 81, her husband 83. He got tested positive on arrival in Phuket the first day, she was negative. After 5 days together in quarantine she tested positive as well so they are going to be here for a total of 15 days, luckily without severe sympthoms what is probably very rare at this age. She said that they overcame much more difficult times while being married and this would be very easy test for both of them compared to others... Probably she is right I thought and felt a little better. 

I think you mentioned the food wasn't great

I believe you are allowed to order food from delivery app Food Panda

Having some good food may definitely brighten both of your moods 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hans007 said:

Be prepared, you may get tested positive inside 5 days after your Gf got tested positive.  So both of your 10 days start again. And: Get testet, daily! You don't wanna get tested positive at the end of her 10 days,  with perhaps just another 2 days, 3 days, being positive! Because YOUR 10 days start from your positive test result!

13 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Be prepared, you may get tested positive inside 5 days after your Gf got tested positive.  So both of your 10 days start again. And: Get testet, daily! You don't wanna get tested positive at the end of her 10 days,  with perhaps just another 2 days, 3 days, being positive! Because YOUR 10 days start from your positive test result!

Yes, we are getting tested daily, for now Iam still negative but the risk of getting positive is fairly high due to sharing one room of course.Getting isolated seperately wasnt an option for me though. Iam also aware of the risk to start  over and getting isolated for another 10 days after testing positive. For this scenario we will decide how to proceed when it happens. Depends on my gf's mental condition and if she prefers then going to a hotel nearby or staying with me. She can leave after 10 days no matter how I'll be testing they said and I would make it another few days on my own if needed. Visa issues will be taken care of the promised to me. 

• Like 1

Very sorry that you and your gf holiday has been ruined, as you may have read we are also finding communicating with the health authorities problematic. I take note of the 10 day quarantine re-starting if my wife and I co-infect each other I didn't know that. Good luck. 🤞 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, Marc26 said:

I think you mentioned the food wasn't great

I believe you are allowed to order food from delivery app Food Panda

Having some good food may definitely brighten both of your moods 

That would be a killer, staying in a dump and having to put up with the food being garbage, 

Is it possible to keep passing it back and forth to your partner?

Last week my wife had to to BKK we have been putting it off for ages because of covid, check ups for cancer which is now 6 years ago, we still have an apartment in BKK so she would be alone but had to travel to the hospital for 2 days, seeing different doctors, blood test and X-rays, then fly back to Phuket she did say the plane was virtually empty.

The doctors did advise we keep apart for 7 days wear the mask around the house, the house is big enough to be in separate rooms and sleep in separate bedrooms,

She had a problem with her phone at first she asked did I want to go with her to Phuket town, I think better not you go alone good job she can drive,

I think that is quite likely from what I read but if both fully vaccinated and boosted you probably wouldn't have any symptoms (asymptomatic) 😷🤔

On 1/20/2022 at 8:51 AM, Hans007 said:

Hi everyone, 

Not sure if this belongs here but it may be a warning to anyone taking rules too easy, as I probably did and Thailand might not be the right destination for now:

I few days ago I posted a question here how the second PCR Test can get done for Test & Go etc. Well, my girlfriend and I got it done but needed another test for getting back home to Germany with Ethihad. 

We received a call by the reception staff of our hotel the next morning 7am after the test was taken, that, unfortunately, my girlfriend has found to be positive for Covid and we needed to stay in our room until further notice is given by hotel management and officials but can already start packing up our stuff, around noon we will be transferred to a hospital where further massures will be tanken. 

About 2 p.m. we were called again and they let us know to please leave the room now, taking baggage with us and put it in the ambulance that was parked nearby our room. 

We arrived at some, so called, hospitel after 30 mins which is basically a plain hotel with medical staff available. Tested Temperaturen, that's it. They explained to us that my gf needs to be isolated for at least 10 days since she has no symptoms but tested positive, and I could go anywhere after isolating seperately and testing negative again after 72 hours. 

Since I denied and told them not leaving her alone, they explained that isolation, in one room together, is possible but if I tested positive at some point, my Isolation will start from day 1 to 10.

Agreed to that, we are now here and the hospitel room is quite alright and probably much better than some Youtube or Instagram idiots are posting since they need to gain clicks for making it look like as bad as they can. Food is lausy but sustainable. We are lucky to have a balkony and staff is nice. 

We are 3x vaccinated and havent done a single Party nor being to a barhere, just at the Beach and Pool area. Really tried to be careful but it hasnt helped anyway. My gf is totally down still. Iam ok with the situation but feel sorry for having taken her here. I love Thailand and wanted to show her this beautiful country. Probably not at the right time...  

Bottom line, you may not be unlucky as we are but may think twice before coming here. Even if Test and "Go" is back in place. 

What is the price they are quoting? 

Also, have you contacted your insurance provider to see if they cover any of it - tests, room, meals? 

51 minutes ago, Vince said:

What is the price they are quoting? 

Also, have you contacted your insurance provider to see if they cover any of it - tests, room, meals? 

It's about 45.000 per person for 10 days. Medical costs of this total are about 18.000, the remainder is for accomodiation and meals. Our insurance should be covering the 18.000. I sent them a short notice, havent received a reply though. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:51 PM, Hans007 said:

Hi everyone, 

Bottom line, you may not be unlucky as we are but may think twice before coming here. Even if Test and "Go" is back in place. A complete mess. So odd that you tested negative with 100% exposure and all

We arrived on 15th Jan and at the time both PCRs were clear then on our second test on 20th Jan mine showed 'Detected' and my wife 'Not Detected'. I said I wanted a re-test and would self isolate until I get the test result. I had the re-test on 24th and chased up today as I was sure after a negative Anigen test that I was clear and it was a false positive but it came back 'Detected' again. I am now waiting for the authorities to tell me what to do. This is ruining our holiday self- isolating in the hotel. I had to cancel my eye operation today as well that I have been waiting two years for. If you are reading this outside Thailand be very aware of the risks and get an insurance that will cover hospital accommodation as well as medical care or you could end up with a bill of £2500 for 10 days.

• Like 2

Update: I have been continuing testing negative and we are due to be leaving the hospitel by tomorrow in the afternoon without another test. Last test took place today and turned out to be negative so we are done... However, another couple from the UK and a family from Sweden with 3 kids just arrived today and they are expecting more "guests" arriving the next days. I had been delaying our vacation for more than a year and thought this would turn out to be fantastic. Unfortunately, it hasn't and it's simply a fairly high risk to take getting here. I wouldn't try it again oviously but wishing everyone a great vacation without this trouble that we had since it's an amazing place here which you wont see this beautiful EVER again when the Chinese are allowed to return. We will be spending another 3 nights in a nice resort and go back to to work then. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hans007 said:

Update: I have been continuing testing negative and we are due to be leaving the hospitel by tomorrow in the afternoon without another test. Last test took place today and turned out to be negative so we are done... However, another couple from the UK and a family from Sweden with 3 kids just arrived today and they are expecting more "guests" arriving the next days. I had been delaying our vacation for more than a year and thought this would turn out to be fantastic. Unfortunately, it hasn't and it's simply a fairly high risk to take getting here. I wouldn't try it again oviously but wishing everyone a great vacation without this trouble that we had since it's an amazing place here which you wont see this beautiful EVER again when the Chinese are allowed to return. We will be spending another 3 nights in a nice resort and go back to to work then. Cheers

Good you almost done Hans

You have an amazing attitude

A lot of BM's here could take some lessons from you

Enjoy your remaining "prison free " days  😀

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

On 1/20/2022 at 8:51 AM, Hans007 said:

Hi everyone, 

Did you ask them if breaking up with her was an option?

Thanks for posting @Hans007 .

Sad to hear of your spoiled holiday, it sounds like you are not alone in this situation and as news of the rising number of tourists caught with a positive test result increases I suspect there’s going to be some changes to this rule.

Well done for staying with your partner during the hospital stay, you took a risk and thankfully it paid off for you both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1