News Forum - Test & Go registration back on, travellers can apply for entry starting February 1

Thaiger

3 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Instead of being pessimistic or negative, whatever wanna call it. If I was you, wait at least a month to see if things improving in the LOS since we are still in Omicron variant outbreak, I can tell you that there will be many false positives asymptomatic or mild symptoms in the T & G on Day 1 & Day 5, assess the situation first. Lot of tourists will be flustered and stressed out because nobody wants to be COVID-19 positive on Day 1, it's insane. I'll wait before planning to make sure there will be only few cases or surges plus things could get change in a matter of seconds again after Feb 1st.

The key is to wait this out. Once it is declared an endemic or epidemic, the CDC has stated that testing is not warranted. However, Thailand has continually operated outside of the standard operating procedures for testing. I don't know of any country that is requiring testing on arrival, and then again days later. Personally, I am waiting until the tests on arrival is gone before I travel to Thailand. I have no issue with insurance or taking a PCR test prior to departure. I am certain that if trends continue, even the US will start dropping PCR test requirements prior to arrival for certain countries. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

The key is to wait this out. Once it is declared an endemic or epidemic, the CDC has stated that testing is not warranted. However, Thailand has continually operated outside of the standard operating procedures for testing. I don't know of any country that is requiring testing on arrival, and then again days later. Personally, I am waiting until the tests on arrival is gone before I travel to Thailand. I have no issue with insurance or taking a PCR test prior to departure. I am certain that if trends continue, even the US will start dropping PCR test requirements prior to arrival for certain countries. 

The US has hardly been a role model for its pandemic response. 

Thailand is Thailand, and if they want you to buy an amulet on landing and get a monk to tell you a fortuitous day to get a COVID test, and get a protective tattoo from a famous monk that's kind of their right to do it their way. No? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Vince said:

The US has hardly been a role model for its pandemic response. 

Thailand is Thailand, and if they want you to buy an amulet on landing and get a monk to tell you a fortuitous day to get a COVID test, and get a protective tattoo from a famous monk that's kind of their right to do it their way. No? 

No point arguing with that logic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pompies said:

This will not encourage people to visit Thailand. Potential tourists are sick of the constant change and confusion & tour operators would rather deal with countries that can deliver consistent policies. All my EU friends had their plans to spend months here ruined by the sudden cancellation and have gone to other destinations for their 4 months of sun. So any predictions by TAT et al are even less believable than before because they fail to factor in how pi**ed off market is. And a failure to ease all the fanatical restrictions on restaurants, bars etc will be the final nail in the coffin.

We are in the same boat in Western Australia. We have been told, get your second vaccination and the border will open. Then mandated the booster for those of us that work in industries' that provide the government with royalties that should be spent on the health care system. Instead our Premier (who thinks he is the Emperor) builds tents in front of hospitals (he has over AUD5 billion dollars to spend and he builds tents). He has now cancelled the reopening of our border saying more people need to get the booster, no timeframe, no target just 'were closed until further notice'.

I have done all that's been asked of me. Changed rosters and been PCR tested regularly to keep my job (when 99% of people were not required to), had three covid vaccinations (waiting for this megalomaniac to tell me I need four, then five. No idea when it will stop).

I have waited for nearly two years to see my girlfriend and just when I see a light at the end of the tunnel it is switched off again. To say I'm pi**ed off is a massive understatement, I am starting to lose my sh*t. I am lucky that I have such a wonderful and patient lady.

Governments around the world have failed dismally in managing this health disaster and after all this time are still failing the people on a daily basis. They can no longer claim 'unprecedented issues', its time to manage this and forget the pipe dream of 'it will go away. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Somchai said:

When will Agogo bars and soapies open?  Without them its so boring in Thailand .

That wouldn't help with covid would it? Pathetic. 

• Like 1

I was supposed to coming to Thailand February 12 now the testing go is back I just think it’s too much of a hassle especially when you’re gonna come back if you get caught out with that last test I’m just gonna sit back and wait waited two years now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nongwuaso said:

I was supposed to coming to Thailand February 12 now the testing go is back I just think it’s too much of a hassle especially when you’re gonna come back if you get caught out with that last test I’m just gonna sit back and wait waited two years now

Yes lots of uncertainty. Waiting might be the smartest thing to do. I think after the Summer there will be less uncertainty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D-Boy said:

The 5th day back to the hotel is over-kill.

I have no proof, of course, but could the high profile wandering off of several tourists during their first day stays (and/or after testing positive) have had anything to do with this new 5 day requirement? 

Infections have increased, but are going so at a manageable rate and is now stabilising with trends suggesting a decrease very soon”.

so why add yet another hoop to jump through. “no thanks” Time to wake up and smell the coffee. You don’t need these hoops anymore. 

If anything, you need to police the wearing of masks before creating yet more hoops to jump through.

my experiences so far equate to. 

An already pre-approved COE being then rejected as the Thailand pass was introduced with insufficient time to achieve a Thailand pass. As you can imagine, involving multiple losses.

Choosing a new date, re organizing, free time, a new flight, sha hotel, and insurance, etc etc. only to be told that T&G was closed. Fortunately, I had already applied and so all seemed well until the “cut off “ debate started, handled most appallingly. Because of leaks and rumours.

Finally, it came together and I got here. Stayed in the SHA hotel, booked another for the following night and then Airbnb for an apartment for a month. It is very quiet in comparison to the past and I am thoroughly enjoying my stay. Although little guidance was given (here is the problem) I understood that I would need the day six/seven PCR test, so went looking for how I could achieve this. Nobody mentioned that the pink slip I had been given was the key to the free test. But the local hospital explained it all. (If people are not told or it’s not printed on the slip, they don’t know). 
there is no need for a second sha hotel. Just proper documentation. Pink slip should have a QR code. You scan the code and it should take you to a website that tells you, all you need to know by selecting your home language and by entering your accommodation area, the places you can get your test. 

Once the second test is completed the test station could then stamp your departure slip. Yes there will be those that intentionally avoid the second test, but I believe most of those not conforming, don’t understand the process and are not being clearly told what to do.

So no, I for one will not be going through this process with yet another totally unnecessary hoop added. With comments such as “Infections have increased, but are going so at a manageable rate and is now stabilising with trends suggesting a decrease very soon” and before someone starts labelling. I am here to visit my very good friends, the good weather and home grown Thai food. I do not frequent the bars, but walk past enough to see that they are selling alcohol, but what is more visible, is the number of people Thai and Farang that are not wearing mask or wearing them under the chin. So many that you could not fail to miss it. But not a police man in sight, I wonder why?

So to sum up Thailand, maybe it’s time to put your own house in order before blaming others and adding unnecessary hoops for tourists to jump through.

May be a dumb question but as far as the DAY 5 PCR test goes does the count start from the day you land as Day 1 or the next day as Day 1 making the day you land Day 0 .

Don't want to book an expensive SHA plus hotel for the wrong Day 5 stay.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

May be a dumb question but as far as the DAY 5 PCR test goes does the count start from the day you land as Day 1 or the next day as Day 1 making the day you land Day 0 .

Zero indexing is pretty rare outside computer science :-) 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, danielsbrown said:
  1. A Thailand Pass, which can be applied via https://tp.consular.go.th/. *The system will reopen for new TEST & GO applications from 1 February, 2022 (09.00 Hrs. Thailand Time)
  2. IF that true then one have to wait for the Thailand pass how long when should i buy flying ticket and all other docs.??
  3. what a mess
  4. do they realy want us to come ?

Not offering advice but to date I have waited 9 days since my application  and emailed twice for the sandbox entry approval for when I return on Feb 10th.

I will not be changing to the T&G, already changed my flights 4 times 3 which have been related to the T&G 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jayce said:

So it's actually better to register for the Phuket sandbox today if you're planning to stay in Phuket.

As far as I understood the second pcr on the current system was going to be picked up by the government whereas the new test and go requires the traveler to pay for both...

I had to prepay for both of my PCR tests for the phuket sandbox

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

We are in the same boat in Western Australia. We have been told, get your second vaccination and the border will open. Then mandated the booster for those of us that work in industries' that provide the government with royalties that should be spent on the health care system. Instead our Premier (who thinks he is the Emperor) builds tents in front of hospitals (he has over AUD5 billion dollars to spend and he builds tents). He has now cancelled the reopening of our border saying more people need to get the booster, no timeframe, no target just 'were closed until further notice'.

Australia is it's own special kind of dystopian madness. You have my sympathy,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vince said:

I have no proof, of course, but could the high profile wandering off of several tourists during their first day stays (and/or after testing positive) have had anything to do with this new 5 day requirement? 

I have seen many posts talking about the 5 day requirement as an entirely "new" rule, but the previous T&G also requires to take a 2nd PCR on day 5-6 (the only difference being no need to show a prepaid hotel for that day, and that the 2nd PCR is free). 
So yeah, it's "over-kill" as the other poster said and stressful, it can ruin your holiday. But that means that farangs going on the old T&G can choose not to take that 2nd PCR, because it's less (explicitly, at least) enforced? How the govt knows it? When departing Thailand, do you face problems if can't demonstrate you took that 2nd PCR? 
I'm just trying to figure out if most of complains are related to the hotel requirement on day 5, or because the previous system was somewhat more "relaxed" and left the 2nd PCR ultimately to farang's criteria.

Edited by Mox
  • Like 2

• Proof of hotel booking for Day 1 and Day 5 in Thailand
  • Confirmed payment for a SHA+ approved hotel
  • Pre-payment for the two RT-PCR tests
  • Certificate of vaccination or vaccine passport
  • Proof of a negative result from an RT-PCR test issued no more than 72 hours before departure
  • Thailand Pass QR code 

I will wait until the virus hysteria ends and I will be able to come to Thailand only showing my visa. Until then, they won't see my money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vince said:

Nah! When have Jews and Russians ever ruined a good time for anybody?!?!?

• Haha 1

After day 1 you can disappear until day 5 and then they expect you to turn up at a hotel take a PCR test and pay for the privilege. 

Maybe we should start a sweep stake on how many don't come back for Day 5 testing. 

About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

So I would fly into BKK, stay one night in an overpriced hotel, then travel home to Sakon Nakhon and find a SHA+ approved hotel there and leave home on day 5?

I don't drink but I would love to try a pint of whatever the clowns that thought this up are drinking.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerry said:

About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

So I would fly into BKK, stay one night in an overpriced hotel, then travel home to Sakon Nakhon and find a SHA+ approved hotel there and leave home on day 5?

I don't drink but I would love to try a pint of whatever the clowns that thought this up are drinking.

Hate to break it to you Jerry that was exactly my plan but I cant find an SHA+ hotel in Sakon Nakhon ,nearest one is Udon Thani  as we aren't a tourist province 😡

7 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

I agree.
Plus if I have to take a test on day 5, do I have to book a hotel for the night 4/5 or 5/6.
You can book a hotel for night 4/5, get a test in the morning and getting kicked out of the room by 1200.
I have a cheap hotel, less than 1000 Baht about one par 4 from the house I rent.
So I just have to stay in the hotel for the duration of the test.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Government says they will revisit the decision next week and use sophisticated mathematical model to make future test & go decisions.

image.png.b66f8432d3d253f662932ebd019cbbfb.png

What is the source for that?