News Forum - Former police chief ‘Joe Ferrari’ says he just wanted to “scare suspect”

Thaiger

A former police chief charged with murder after a drugs suspect died when multiple plastic bags were placed over his head during questioning, says he just wanted to scare the victim. Thitisan Utthanaphon, a police chief in the northern province of Nakhon Sawan at the time, told the court that he never intended to kill 24-year-old Jeerapong Thanapat. Thitisan and his 6 alleged accomplices, all former police officers, are all on trial at the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases. According to a Bangkok Post report, the defendants say they posed as customers in order to arrest Jeerapong […]

The story Former police chief ‘Joe Ferrari’ says he just wanted to “scare suspect” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Isuzu Joe obviously didn’t want him dead. I said this before when they charged him with murder - he’ll try to plead it down to manslaughter and it begged the question as to why they didn’t charge him with manslaughter for a slam dunk case. This is clearly a torture case resulting in death so maybe it makes no legal difference if it was accidental or deliberate to homicide. We shall see. 

Edited by Fanta
added reasoning for manslaughter charge
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Isuzu Joe obviously didn’t want him dead. I said this before when they charged him with murder - he’ll try to plead it down to manslaughter and it begged the question as to why they didn’t charge him with manslaughter for a slam dunk case. This is clearly a torture case resulting in death so maybe it makes no legal difference if it was accidental or deliberate to homicide. We shall see. 

I wasn't aware the Thai system was plea bargain oriented. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Thitisan Utthanaphon, a police chief in the northern province of Nakhon Sawan at the time, told the court that he never intended to kill 24-year-old Jeerapong Thanapat.

Totally true!

Because you can't extort money from dead people

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

58 minutes ago, Vince said:

I wasn't aware the Thai system was plea bargain oriented. 

I misused plead. Not sure about changing charges per se but I do know sentencing terms are very broad so the judge has a lot of leeway. If you can convince the judge you didn’t intend to commit murder then he’ll  sentence you based on a manslaughter charge while recording murder as the crime. And there are no juries in Thai criminal courts so beyond a reasonable doubt by your peers isn’t a thing. The onus is on the defendant to prove innocence, not the prosecution to prove you guilty. 

• Cool 1