News Forum - 10-year visa gets approval of Cabinet, Ministries preparing rules

Thaiger

8 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

1st off, congrats on enjoying Bangkok

I love Bangkok!

But what I stated is just facts, not an opinion

You go to most higher end restaurants in Bangkok, and it's the same or more expensive as in Canada 

That's just a fact

I'm not talking about casual places(which there are many great ones)

But true high end restaurants 

Here is an example, but I could pick 100 places 

Opus Bangkok a highly rated Italian restaurant 

https://www.google.com/search?q=opus+bangkok+menu&client=ms-android-bell-ca-revc&source=android-browser&ei=L63oYaKEOaeT0PEPoNmVUA&oq=opus+bangkok+memj&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIECAAQDTIICAAQCBANEB46BwgAEEcQsAM6DQguEMcBEK8BELADEEM6BwgAELADEEM6BQgAEIAEOgYIABAWEB46BQghEKABSgQIQRgAUJEVWNYaYJcoaAFwAXgAgAHfAYgB3ASSAQUzLjEuMZgBAKABAcgBB8ABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#imgrc=Ltogc0FJyJeGdM

Menu prices:

20/30cad for pasta

30+ for meat/fish

Those are the same prices as Canada

Have you ever looked at an apartment in Bangkok in the 15mil baht range?

Do so and compare the fixtures and quality of build to the same priced apartment in Vancouver and Toronto 

There is no comparison 

You can live cheaply better in Bangkok than Toronto, I agree 100%

But that was not what I was talking about

I was talking about lifestyle and if you enjoy a higher end lifestyle, it isn't that much cheaper or any cheaper than TO/Vancouver 

You forgot to mention all of this is quite dependent on lifestyle choice.

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I love Bangkok!

You go to most higher end restaurants in Bangkok, and it's the same or more expensive as in Canada 

That's just a fact

https://www.google.com/search?q=opus+bangkok+menu&client=ms-android-bell-ca-revc&source=android-browser&ei=L63oYaKEOaeT0PEPoNmVUA&oq=opus+bangkok+memj&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIECAAQDTIICAAQCBANEB46BwgAEEcQsAM6DQguEMcBEK8BELADEEM6BwgAELADEEM6BQgAEIAEOgYIABAWEB46BQghEKABSgQIQRgAUJEVWNYaYJcoaAFwAXgAgAHfAYgB3ASSAQUzLjEuMZgBAKABAcgBB8ABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#imgrc=Ltogc0FJyJeGdM

Menu prices:

20/30cad for pasta

30+ for meat/fish

Do so and compare the fixtures and quality of build to the same priced apartment in Vancouver and Toronto 

There is no comparison 

I was talking about lifestyle and if you enjoy a higher end lifestyle, it isn't that much cheaper or any cheaper than TO/Vancouver 

20/30 for pasta and 30+ for meat or fish is what it costs to eat at chain restaurants in Toronto, like sizzlers in Bangkok. Any “high” end restaurant in Toronto will cost you closer to $100 a person if you don’t order anything too fancy, and a few hundred dollars if you do. Don’t forget the 13% tax + 15% tip in Toronto as well. 

I havnt looked at apartments to purchase in bangkok but I’m living in a condo for $500 a month which would cost closer to $2000-$3000 a month in Toronto. Not sure what you mean by fixtures but I don’t see how a light bulb, cupboard or nicer sink/toilet justifies 4–6x the price. In fact the toilets look nicer in bangkok, especially the ones with heated seats.

• Like 1

'They have reckoned that a few high-quality (read: “big spending”) tourists could outweigh scores of the undesirable budget-conscious tourists that flocked to Thailand before the Covid-19 pandemic.'

Who writes this sh$t?

58 minutes ago, Rain said:

You forgot to mention all of this is quite dependent on lifestyle choice.

I've literally been saying exactly that!

That has been my whole point

• Like 3

A few departments gone work out the rules they all want a saying in this for sure they come up with some weird rules i see i dont know how many new plans pass in a year never see one that worked out   

8 hours ago, ctxa said:

Well, okay. But you get my point. If she lived in the US she would have to pay tax even on her foreign income... That's when it becomes much much more expensive than Thailand's visas...

A US citizen or a permanent resident must pay US taxes wherever he or she lives.

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

20/30 for pasta and 30+ for meat or fish is what it costs to eat at chain restaurants in Toronto, like sizzlers in Bangkok. Any “high” end restaurant in Toronto will cost you closer to $100 a person if you don’t order anything too fancy, and a few hundred dollars if you do. Don’t forget the 13% tax + 15% tip in Toronto as well. 

I havnt looked at apartments to purchase in bangkok but I’m living in a condo for $500 a month which would cost closer to $2000-$3000 a month in Toronto. Not sure what you mean by fixtures but I don’t see how a light bulb, cupboard or nicer sink/toilet justifies 4–6x the price. In fact the toilets look nicer in bangkok, especially the ones with heated seats.

We rent a large house in Florida 200m from the ocean - $1700. A condo in Bangkok - $1200. It is a nice one. If you cook - the cost of food is almost the same. The quality of food is much better in Thailand though. But I don't want to live in Bangkok anymore due to horrible air pollution.

• Like 1

CORRECTION: 20 year Elite (ESE) is $1 million baht... Not 2.4 million.

I love how the cabinet can approve something without the details. Funniest part is saying people can apply now before the rules are even set... I wouldn't get to excited about this scheme. Devil is always in the details.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Depends on your lifestyle

Most people "downsize" when moving to Thailand 

If you a higher end lifestyle, Thailand is or can be just as expensive as anywhere else.

Accomodation. If you were to purchase an apartment in downtown Toronto in a new building, that same exact apartment with just as quality of a build, just as high end fixtures, would cost as much or more in Bangkok 

Dining out. We don't go out nearly as much as we used to. But we enjoy dinners at high end restaurants.

High end restaurants are as expensive or more expensive in Thailand 

Wines, luxury cars way more expensive in Thailand 

So it really depends on your lifestyle 

Downsizing is a nice luxury to have. Some urban cities have zero affordable options. 

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

CORRECTION: 20 year Elite (ESE) is $1 million baht... Not 2.4 million.

I love how the cabinet can approve something without the details. Funniest part is saying people can apply now before the rules are even set... I wouldn't get to excited about this scheme. Devil is always in the details.

Some details are out. And they're good!

It's exciting anyways. 

And even if it doesn't work for you now, doesn't mean something else won't. 

They're trying new things. That's good. 

I can't wait to see the further details. 

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I love Bangkok!

That's just a fact

Menu prices:

20/30cad for pasta

30+ for meat/fish

There is no comparison 

Kinda makes sense. You want a particular thing and it's the same price 

If you want a kind of thing, it can be cheaper. 

Inflexibility is expensive. Flexibility is economical. 

The devil will indeed be in the detail but I think it could work. Having been following it since announced I got the impression that freehold property purchase might be possible rather than just a condo. We will have to see how it’s fleshed out.

Other alternatives for an investment might be a Thai registered boat so people looking to keep one in Phang Nga Bay / Phuket / Krabi could take advantage.

Yes some things in Thailand are just as expensive, even more expensive than Europe, I’m particularly thinking luxury cars, so adapt your Thai life accordingly. Keep your Porsche in the UK and buy a Toyota for your Thai needs.

It won’t be for everyone but for the better off semi retired who still fancy dabbling a bit to keep their hand in it could well be a winner and your pound / euro / dollar goes a lot further than the Caribbean, the Seychelles or similar fair weather locations.

If you look for fault in Thailand it definitely exists but there are also many redeeming features. I will always be seen as a foreigner but how does that differ to a non white person who isn’t a native speaker in your home country? The Thais are just more open and say it how it is.

Edited by Henry

16 hours ago, Graham said:

Blah blah, waffle waffle, here we go again, another plan with so many rules and requirements that will be unworkable. 555

TIT.

Probably come from behind unsuspecting falangs and make them pay for medical ins, afterwards too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Probably come from behind unsuspecting falangs and make them pay for medical ins, afterwards too!

Everything I have read so far has been quite open in stating medical insurance will be required.

This isn’t about offering help to refugees, it’s about allowing self sufficient people into the country on a long term basis.

21 hours ago, Stonker said:

I retired here nearly 30 years ago, in my mid 30's, so this would have suited me but very, very few people are in the same position I was.

For anyone who's working, or married to a Thai, or over 50, I just can't see the point.

Why?

To save doing three 90 day reports a year that you can do via the Post Office or on-line?

... and I wouldn't be happy if I'd paid for an Elite Visa and they're getting a better deal for a fraction of the price .....

It would depend on if i could get a long term visa with multiple entries.  Since (currently)  i live the majority of the year outside Thailand i currently need to re-apply for a visa each visit.  So if i had a 5 year pass to enter and leave as i wished at a reasonable rate i wouldnt just save the trips to immigration, i would save myself the time and money spent on re=applying most years.  And im fortune enough that time is more valuable than money to me.

18 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Nice analogy. I would add, not just high fees, without the actual tangible exclusive benefits, but a 1/4 or 1/2 of a million dollar secured credit card benefiting the card issuer only (I've heard differing amounts to meet requirements). People who have money don't operate this way. Lol. I'll take my $250,000.00 or $500,000.00 which ever the requirement is, and invest it in even a modest 4-5-6% investment scheme, not a scheme to simply allow me to rent some land or condo for 10 years. The entire prospect is ludicrous. 

250,000.00 invested with a modest rate of return of 6% over 20 years yields 800,000. I think I will instead purchase a 20 year elite visa for $30,000 and profit $770,000 Lol. 

Is that true? You need to put 250k-500k in a secured credit card?

That's crazy 

10 hours ago, riclag said:

And charge them double!!! 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:29 AM, Rookiescot said:

You know I think this could be a winner. 

I was just thinking "Where on earth could I spend some of my millions of pounds on creating a holiday or indeed permanent residence for myself"?

Now I toyed with the Bahamas. Thought about the Seychelles. Hmmm what about the Virgin Islands. None of them really gives me what I want because the general populations of all those destinations can speak English. No what I want is to invest millions in a place where I cant understand them and they cant understand me.

Then there is the issue of governments. What I want is regular military coups and a shedload of corruption at even the lowest levels of society. Indeed I want to move to a country which blames me specifically for the spread of viruses.

Paying a huge amount of money into getting somewhere to live where I cant own the land or indeed the house I built on it is extremely appealing to me. I want to run the risk of losing everything as soon as a Thai person decides its time for that to happen.

Of course I can own a condo in a shoddily built Highrise tower but only if its on a floor above the maximum reach of a fire ladder. If the lift breaks down I will have that exciting feeling of being trapped on the far side of the moon. Also I want to have absolutely no say whatsoever in how the condo building is run and if my neighbor wants to eat fermented fish on the balcony next door its just a bonus for me.  

I really dont understand why anyone would hesitate. 

You had me in tears of laughter even before this gem:

."..only if its on a floor above the maximum reach of a fire ladder..."

Bloody hilarious 😀

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, dj230 said:

"toilets look nicer in bangkok, especially the ones with heated seats."

I love a nice warm bum toilet seat :-D