Jump to content

News Forum - British man fined for overstay after being forced into Bangkok quarantine


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The immigration police probably see you as an undesirable arguing falang. Good luck if you expect a break. At least that's my experience.

You were an undesirable arguing falang too, I would never have guessed......😱

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn’t this soooo typical of Thai authorities. A distinct lack of common sense or the flexibility that goes with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Leeshard said:

My daughter booked a flight to America a few months ago. She went to a clinic in Bangkok 72 hours before her flight paying 4,000 baht,m for a PCR test only to have the test returned positive the following day. She simply didn’t believe it so paid another 4,000 baht for a second test. That was returned negative just a few hours before her flight so off she went. The point is, nobody came to get her following the first positive test and the moral of the story is, always insist on a second. They are NOT reliable.

Uhm, there's a few morals to that story but glad it all worked out!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, BJoe said:

Isn’t this soooo typical of Thai authorities. A distinct lack of common sense or the flexibility that goes with it.

As opposed to the common sense in other countries - like when the US CDC advised against wearing masks - or the flexibility found in, say, China. 

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, but if this is a Thai issue, I'm curious who the comparison is to. Britain? Brazil? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"administrators who alleged that the patient’s insurance company would not pay the full amount of his treatment bill." 

If there's one thing I deeply hate, it's insurance companies. 

Expectation: Give us your money, and we will make sure that you will be safe financially when the shit hits the fan. 

Reality: Thank you for the money you lying POS. We're gonna do anything we can not to give you back your money. Good luck with your shitty problem haha. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, Thaiger said:

. Then, to add insult to injury, you’re fined 4,000 baht for overstaying your visa when you go through immigration

Maybe TAT can use it for an advertising campaign

image.png.e76fa0c9f0669f02cf72f29a51686cb8.png

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 12:34 AM, Janneman said:

This year Thailand will get 8 million visitors, according to some minister. Say 2% of them test positive before returning home, and they have to stay in a hospital causing them to overstay their visa time. That's 160.000 people. Times 500 baht per day that adds up to a lot. Nice business model.

The percentage testing positive is now 3.5%  - that equals 280,000 people who may have had a short holiday ruined (some come for long stay).  Plus all their family friends and close contacts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, Transam said:

Perhaps you just don't like opinions different to your own and can't handle it, but at least the weeee yellow things cheer you up....😛...........😉

Yeap I guess that is where both our worlds end, these yellow faces cheer you up.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 1:58 PM, BJoe said:

Isn’t this soooo typical of Thai authorities. A distinct lack of common sense or the flexibility that goes with it.

Agreed. Only in Thailand.

Unlike the west where common sense and flexibility prevail everywhere

But that's not the topic. Shall we discuss it in "all other discussions"? 

------->

https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/137-all-other-discussion/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 7:50 AM, oldschooler said:

“ Attitude “ is the reality that foreign holidays are an unnecessary massively inconvenient luxury right now, not some childish entitlement . Life is clearly not reduced to survival -only mode by not having one.

I believe that holidays are a luxury, but they are 100% necessary to anyone that can afford them. 

It's vital that life should be filled with as much fun and leisure as is humanly possible. 

It's not a rehearsal, everyone that is lucky enough to have money, absolutely should spend it on enjoying life and helping others.

It should be a legal requirement to spend 50% of your income on either charity or having a good time.

  • Like 2
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stainless said:

I believe that holidays are a luxury, but they are 100% necessary to anyone that can afford them. 

It's vital that life should be filled with as much fun and leisure as is humanly possible. 

It's not a rehearsal, everyone that is lucky enough to have money, absolutely should spend it on enjoying life and helping others.

It should be a legal requirement to spend 50% of your income on either charity or having a good time.

Hello, @Stainlessand welcome to the forum! Some interesting views, there, that I'm sure will generate further response . . . exactly what the forum is here for!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stainless said:

I believe that holidays are a luxury, but they are 100% necessary to anyone that can afford them. 

It's vital that life should be filled with as much fun and leisure as is humanly possible. 

It's not a rehearsal, everyone that is lucky enough to have money, absolutely should spend it on enjoying life and helping others.

It should be a legal requirement to spend 50% of your income on either charity or having a good time.

Disagree with all that hedonistic & charity nonsense. My taxes and spend can help others. Life for regular folk is mostly work, duty and pain with perhaps 10 % enjoyment if lucky & like charity ,cannot be compelled.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, Manu said:

You call it holiday, I call it freedom, that’s why we disagree. The difference is I am not bothered what you think, but you are the way I think.

You make :wrong correlations between different subjects, false  conclusions &  personal attacks,  all crudely & negatively, without engaging with actual subject case. 

We are “ free” to travel in space ….. just hundreds of obstacles to get there. We are free to take foreign vacation or domestic vacation or no vacation. All have natural limits. Difficult and irrational to take foreign vacation during pandemic. Thats my only point. 
 

People believe all kinds of nonsense best kept to themselves but when externalized it will be challenged & dismissed by rational people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, Manu said:

You wait as long as it takes, until the end of your life if you wish, most people will not, they will enjoy themselves and if a small thing is not going right, then they will complain (rightly) and that's that, wether you like it or not (not sure why you bother in the first place if you are happy with your decision).

That's fine, but it seems the longer this Chinese virus continues, the more money country's will make, particularly this country. but it also seems that this Junta with an unelected soldier posing as a PM, is probably wanting the virus to continue as it will keep the protesters quiet, as I think we all know what will happen when the virus ends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

That's fine, but it seems the longer this Chinese virus continues, the more money country's will make, particularly this country. but it also seems that this Junta with an unelected soldier posing as a PM, is probably wanting the virus to continue as it will keep the protesters quiet, as I think we all know what will happen when the virus ends.

What will happen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You make :wrong correlations between different subjects, false  conclusions &  personal attacks,  all crudely & negatively, without engaging with actual subject case. 

We are “ free” to travel in space ….. just hundreds of obstacles to get there. We are free to take foreign vacation or domestic vacation or no vacation. All have natural limits. Difficult and irrational to take foreign vacation during pandemic. Thats my only point. 
 

People believe all kinds of nonsense best kept to themselves but when externalized it will be challenged & dismissed by rational people. 

I get your “only point”, got it ages ago, I simply disagree as you disagree with me it seems. Not sure how it is so miles away from each other but it is. My opinions are a nonsense to you but yours are the same to me. I appreciate for not being nasty about it though, even if I am telling you that the first paragraph of your comment is so wrong I do not even know where to start with it. I guess the difference between us is so huge there is simply no way. I guess same for you. It is only an online forum but it represents also the same confrontations happening in the real world. That’s that really. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s just a risk of travelling during a pandemic and why you get travel insurance to be safe. 
 

  • Cool 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, Manu said:

You call it holiday, I call it freedom, that’s why we disagree. The difference is I am not bothered what you think, but you are the way I think.

Life must be so bad that you only want to escape. I understand your motives, but why are things so bad. They'll still be bad after your holiday.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Life must be so bad that you only want to escape. I understand your motives, but why are things so bad. They'll still be bad after your holiday.

I get your point… but at least this is your choice. No your state’s choice. I guess… I guess it is your freedom of movement, if you don’t have it, then never mind figuring out even if it will be good or not afterwards, you have not been given the choice to decide freely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Manu said:

I get your point… but at least this is your choice. No your state’s choice. I guess… I guess it is your freedom of movement, if you don’t have it, then never mind figuring out even if it will be good or not afterwards, you have not been given the choice to decide freely. 

You are incredibly confused. Mixing many separate subjects. Try “ breaking down” subjects into component parts. Nobody is threatening your freedom, just imposing certain extra pandemic conditions (obstacles) which, I am arguing, makes it irrational to travel outside your country, if only for vacation. LF post raises motive for your quite unrradonable insistence on a foreign vacation, at any cost, even in face of extreme conditions, risk and inevitable higher stress / lower enjoyment. Such vacation is a privilege, yes a right,  but not an entitlement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You are incredibly confused. Mixing many separate subjects. Try “ breaking down” subjects into component parts. Nobody is threatening your freedom, just imposing certain extra pandemic conditions (obstacles) which, I am arguing, makes it irrational to travel outside your country, if only for vacation. LF post raises motive for your quite unrradonable insistence on a foreign vacation, at any cost, even in face of extreme conditions, risk and inevitable higher stress / lower enjoyment. Such vacation is a privilege, yes a right,  but not an entitlement.

Nothing else I could add to what I said before. I feel sorry if anything. I hope your meaning of life does indeed matches  your life. That’s what I hope for everyone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 4:07 PM, Poolie said:

What will happen?

The protesters will be gathering in Bangkok, surprised you can't see that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

The protesters will be gathering in Bangkok, surprised you can't see that.

No, I can't. I wait to see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 8:13 AM, MikeV said:

I mean yeah, if your only purpose to come is to party with others fresh off the plane then sure. It's not the best time to come. Also, if you aren't willing to isolate before your expensive flight to greatly reduce your chance of a positive it's not a good time to come. That's common sense.

And yes, not a good look for immigration but immigration is always going to do what it feels like everywhere.

Well, I came together with my Thai wife to catch up with family and friends in Chiang Mai. Had to stay in Phuket for 7 days because of the sandbox, didn't go out to oarty like crazy. Yet we could have infected ourselves anytime anywhere but luckily we didn't. So I think you are too much into stereotypes when you reduce the infection risk solely to those who are into nighttime entertainment.

Three of my colleagues over here in Switzerland attracted the virus last minth, all vaccinated at least twice, and inconspicious of being party goers. So Omikron is indeed really good at infecting new victims. However, we can agree that those who patron bars etc in Phuket or elsewhere expose themselves to an increased infection risk.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 4:37 AM, stapoz said:

Why in this country do they send people to a hospital if they are not sick? Do they have too many empty places in hospitals? All of Europe is suffering from lack of space in hospitals, people are dying in the ambulance waiting for a place in the hospital. Meanwhile in Thailand ....

No, currently the hospitals over here in Western and Central Europe are busy, but by no means overcrowded, which includes the intensive care units. That's why quite a number of countries are relaxing their restrictions. Omikron is highly contagious (record infection numbers) but it typically does not hospitalisation on a larger scale.

Still, that makes it even less understandable why those testing positive are confined to quarantine for ten days in Thailand (over here it is only 5 days).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use