News Forum - British man fined for overstay after being forced into Bangkok quarantine

Thaiger

25 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Constantly missing the point. stating obvious & irrelevant points. introducing unrelated points. dismissed ….. again.

Are you still talking? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Manu said:

You wait as long as it takes, until the end of your life if you wish, most people will not, they will enjoy themselves and if a small thing is not going right, then they will complain (rightly) and that's that, wether you like it or not (not sure why you bother in the first place if you are happy with your decision).

I like this post

Sums up a lot of BM's perfectly 

"If a small thing is not going right, they will complain"

Instead of "if a small thing is not going right, they will deal with it"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

amazing, need to go through all this simply because a faulty test which was never designed for this purpose comes up positive.  

As my wife and i prepare for our trip we have called the hotel to learn exactly what happens in all situations.  the lady from the hotel has been super helpful but asked us "why ask these questions, do you expect to have covid?"  when my wife replied that the tests are often less than accurate the hotel staff seemed surprised anyone would say such a thing.  i feel many Thai's truly believe that a positive test equates to presently having covid even with all the recent concessions else where (CDC) stating they are not full proof and often show positive tests long after you are well clear of the illness.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ExiliusGeordius said:

Apparently UK is scrapping many requirements after todays meeting, including PCR for entry. So hopefully this kind of issue will no longer be a thing

PCR was already scrapped you needed a lateral flow by 2nd day. About time Thailand caught up

This year Thailand will get 8 million visitors, according to some minister. Say 2% of them test positive before returning home, and they have to stay in a hospital causing them to overstay their visa time. That's 160.000 people. Times 500 baht per day that adds up to a lot. Nice business model.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I like this post

Sums up a lot of BM's perfectly 

"If a small thing is not going right, they will complain"

Instead of "if a small thing is not going right, they will deal with it"

It depends if we talk about generalisations (in a forum we tend to do) or individuals. Personally I deal it my way. Always did always will.

11 minutes ago, Janneman said:

This year Thailand will get 8 million visitors, according to some minister. Say 2% of them test positive before returning home, and they have to stay in a hospital causing them to overstay their visa time. That's 160.000 people. Times 500 baht per day that adds up to a lot. Nice business model.

Lets say 2% dont. Then what?

IF they get 8 million visitors, which is by no means nailed on.

• Like 1

Unfortunatelyan another reputation damage for the land of the smile, soon to be land of many tears.

How to kill yoUr tourist industry within a few years  Part VXVI

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

"Stayin' alive, stayin' alive! 

Ha ha ha ha... stayin' aliveeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

A side effect of Covid 19: You get the "Hebee Gee Bees!!!" Quick!!! Booster shot number?....... er? Feck! Lost count!! 

You must received doses from the tainted batch.

That has been going on for years.I was confined in hospital after a life threatening accident in Bangkok several years ago. On my return (in my wheelchair) immigration to my amazement slapped me with an overstay fine. It’s nothing new, just the Thais ripping foreigners off once again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

You take your PCR test after your stay in Thailand, before you return home to the UK. You test positive and are confined in a Bangkok hospital for 10 days. Then, to add insult to injury, you’re fined 4,000 baht for overstaying your visa when you go through immigration… purely because you were confined in hospital. This is the sad tale, one of many, when the Test & Go program didn’t quite go to plan. Quite a high percentage of visitors from overseas have been found to test positive after their compulsory PCR tests (certainly in places like Phuket during […]

The story British man fined for overstay after being forced into Bangkok quarantine as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Clearly the left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. 

If there is an appeal process for overstay fines, he should win it (so says me). 

THB4000 is GBP89/AUD168/USD120. 

I think that's the same fine as the Israeli who broke quarantine and triggered a man hunt. 

Still "it's the principle" not the money, right? 🤑

• Like 2

Why in this country do they send people to a hospital if they are not sick? Do they have too many empty places in hospitals? All of Europe is suffering from lack of space in hospitals, people are dying in the ambulance waiting for a place in the hospital. Meanwhile in Thailand ....

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, Manu said:

It has been 2 years now, how long people are supposed to wait? 5, 10 years? Forever? Life does not last forever, most people want to live now, not tomorrow, not next year, life is too short. People have been told to stay home at some point, they did, they have been told to wear a mask at all time, they did, they have been told to get vaccinated twice, they did, a third time, they did, a 4th time they did, are and will do it, and after all that they are supposed to stay home? The ones that are still scared to live, they can do exactly that, stay at home. Not sure what kind of meaning life has with this attitude... staying alive?

Come on man, Thai government has been playing all these dumb rules. All they do is talk..talk..talk..to the media and nothing to show for it. They don't give a rat about anything else in the whole world right now. That's what happens.

Edited by Smithydog
Disguised expletive removed.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, stapoz said:

Why in this country do they send people to a hospital if they are not sick? Do they have too many empty places in hospitals? All of Europe is suffering from lack of space in hospitals, people are dying in the ambulance waiting for a place in the hospital. Meanwhile in Thailand ....

Because they are dumb and dumber

My daughter booked a flight to America a few months ago. She went to a clinic in Bangkok 72 hours before her flight paying 4,000 baht,m for a PCR test only to have the test returned positive the following day. She simply didn’t believe it so paid another 4,000 baht for a second test. That was returned negative just a few hours before her flight so off she went. The point is, nobody came to get her following the first positive test and the moral of the story is, always insist on a second. They are NOT reliable.

Edited by Leeshard
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, Transam said:

😆........Why am I scared, I am replying to your stuff. ?

You are also on a small Thai forum, what about your quality of life.....?  🥴..........🤭

Nothing to do now with your original reply to me but I guess that is what you do.

Yeap, I personally came on here orginally to exchange opinions and informations, I see now that I was a little naive. But it is sometimes amusing, entertaining, especially when adults are using little yellow faces to express "something" instead of real words.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Stonker said:

The system's there, and the hospitals should know.

I recalled this from seeing it on a sign in the old Immigaration Office in Pattaya (Soi 9), maybe 25 years ago, but if he or his Thai girlfriend had spent a few seconds of his ten day stay in hospital checking on Google his position would have been very clear.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/patient-services/business-center

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/frequently-asked-questions/

If you don't do it in advance, or get someone else to do it for you (Thai girlfriend or hospital), and you just wait until you leave you will still be fined even with a doctor's letter:

"If you are sick or receiving treatment at a hospital, you can send someone on your behalf to renew extension of stay. But, you will need to get a doctor’s certificate to show the Immigration officer. Please note, if you overstay you will still need to pay the 500 Baht per day fine even if you have a doctor’s certificate."

It still doesn't excuse the Immigration Officers at the departure gate not having any discretion, but the rules are clear - a few seconds on Google during the ten day stay at the hospital would have saved 4,000 baht and a trip on the outrage bus.

The immigration police probably see you as an undesirable arguing falang. Good luck if you expect a break. At least that's my experience.

33 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The immigration police probably see you as an undesirable arguing falang. Good luck if you expect a break. At least that's my experience.

Possibly, but had he done as clearly laid down it wouldn't have been him facing the immigration police but the hospital or his Thai girlfriend.

I'm not excusing the immigration policve as the policy's clearly wrong and they should have some flexibility, but all he had to do was spend a few minutes on google during his ten days sitting in bed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leeshard said:

My daughter booked a flight to America a few months ago. She went to a clinic in Bangkok 72 hours before her flight paying 4,000 baht,m for a PCR test only to have the test returned positive the following day. She simply didn’t believe it so paid another 4,000 baht for a second test. That was returned negative just a few hours before her flight so off she went. The point is, nobody came to get her following the first positive test and the moral of the story is, always insist on a second. They are NOT reliable.

Uhm, there's a few morals to that story but glad it all worked out!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BJoe said:

Isn’t this soooo typical of Thai authorities. A distinct lack of common sense or the flexibility that goes with it.

As opposed to the common sense in other countries - like when the US CDC advised against wearing masks - or the flexibility found in, say, China. 

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, but if this is a Thai issue, I'm curious who the comparison is to. Britain? Brazil? 

"administrators who alleged that the patient’s insurance company would not pay the full amount of his treatment bill." 

If there's one thing I deeply hate, it's insurance companies. 

Expectation: Give us your money, and we will make sure that you will be safe financially when the shit hits the fan. 

Reality: Thank you for the money you lying POS. We're gonna do anything we can not to give you back your money. Good luck with your shitty problem haha. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, Thaiger said:

. Then, to add insult to injury, you’re fined 4,000 baht for overstaying your visa when you go through immigration

Maybe TAT can use it for an advertising campaign

image.png.e76fa0c9f0669f02cf72f29a51686cb8.png

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2022 at 12:34 AM, Janneman said:

The percentage testing positive is now 3.5%  - that equals 280,000 people who may have had a short holiday ruined (some come for long stay).  Plus all their family friends and close contacts.