News Forum - British man fined for overstay after being forced into Bangkok quarantine

Thaiger

2 hours ago, ExiliusGeordius said:

Apparently UK is scrapping many requirements after todays meeting, including PCR for entry. So hopefully this kind of issue will no longer be a thing

Good old Boris! No doubt he'll be arranging a BYOB party on the strength of this announcement . . . just to be sure his people still love him 🥊!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Drivel. You haven’t properly read my posts. They are in plain simple English. No interpretation or embellishment required. You introduce “ control” and “ sniffles”. Dismissed.

Maybe you're just getting old oldschooler. Remember you were young once too and I'm sure you enjoyed yourself. 😊

1 hour ago, Manu said:

It has been 2 years now, how long people are supposed to wait? 5, 10 years? Forever

Death  lasts  a  pretty  long time though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Again, just don’t get why folk leave their country under pandemic conditions ,purely for vacation. Stay Home & Wait for Normality.

And I thought I was the only one thinking that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rangers said:

I hate to tell you this but if adults want to go on holiday that's their choice, you don't control that. Thailand is a holiday destination and people will always travel here. Sniffles or no sniffles. 

“Yeah, I Know “ …..times six (Little Britain comedy style).
“Stating the bleedin’ obvious” school of posting.

My post is in simple plain English yet you have clearly neither read it properly nor understood it. You can go now (dismissed). 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

“Yeah, I Know “ …..times six (Little Britain comedy style).
“Stating the bleedin’ obvious” school of posting.

My post is in simple plain English yet you have clearly neither read it properly nor understood it. You can go now (dismissed). 

I'm going nowhere old man, I'm here for the party. Whether you approve or not. 🥳

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Wasn't there, oh yes, it was:

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-immigration-officers-to-visit-quarantine-hotels-to-help-with-visa-extensions

So, in Phuket that should not happen any longer, right?

Just: All of the immigration is dried out, in the past 2 years! But they still have to pay for houses, cars, private schools for the kids, and all highly above their official pay grades

It's supposed to happen with hospitals, too - hospitals are meant to inform the Immigration Police of anyone in hospital who needs to but can't extend their visa or are hospitalised so will overstay their visa, and by the sound of it the hospital didn't.

That doesn't excuse the Immigration Police who should have been able to exercise some discretion, but the main fault has to be the hospital's.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's supposed to happen with hospitals, too - hospitals are meant to inform the Immigration Police of anyone in hospital who needs to but can't extend their visa or are hospitalised so will overstay their visa, and by the sound of it the hospital didn't.

That doesn't excuse the Immigration Police who should have been able to exercise some discretion, but the main fault has to be the hospital's.

I suppose in these rather odd and unforeseen situations, the hospitals could communicate better with the appropriate authorities and work out a plan to ease the misfortune placed upon the individual.......or Immigration could be a little lenient creating a waiver regarding these particular incidents. 

I'm sure this is not the first of it's kind. 

And certainly doesn't reflect well on their resumes - being hard nosed.

17 minutes ago, Rangers said:

I'm going nowhere old man, I'm here for the party. Whether you approve or not. 🥳

You really just don’t get it do you ?…..and possibly never will it seems…. is that a party of one as I don’t see anyone else around you ?…..never mind… you’ve been dismissed,  “old man”. 🤣 now where’s that “Ignore” function ? 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paco said:

Just plain wrong of Thailand showing again no respect to tourist and they want them so badly... how stupid can you be, sometimes it looks like they robots and can not have any reasonable thinking... IQ -1000000% Thailand digging their own grave again episode 12342364 part 20000000001 :)

I irony is that the majority of Thais don't want tourists and are happy they're not here. Of course those associated with the tourist industry do not agree, but they aren't the majority.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rain said:

I suppose in these rather odd and unforeseen situations, the hospitals could communicate better with the appropriate authorities and work out a plan to ease the misfortune placed upon the individual.......or Immigration could be a little lenient creating a waiver regarding these particular incidents. 

I'm sure this is not the first of it's kind. 

And certainly doesn't reflect well on their resumes - being hard nosed.

The system's there, and the hospitals should know.

I recalled this from seeing it on a sign in the old Immigaration Office in Pattaya (Soi 9), maybe 25 years ago, but if he or his Thai girlfriend had spent a few seconds of his ten day stay in hospital checking on Google his position would have been very clear.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/patient-services/business-center

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/frequently-asked-questions/

If you don't do it in advance, or get someone else to do it for you (Thai girlfriend or hospital), and you just wait until you leave you will still be fined even with a doctor's letter:

"If you are sick or receiving treatment at a hospital, you can send someone on your behalf to renew extension of stay. But, you will need to get a doctor’s certificate to show the Immigration officer. Please note, if you overstay you will still need to pay the 500 Baht per day fine even if you have a doctor’s certificate."

It still doesn't excuse the Immigration Officers at the departure gate not having any discretion, but the rules are clear - a few seconds on Google during the ten day stay at the hospital would have saved 4,000 baht and a trip on the outrage bus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Hey @Marc26 are you reading this?? 

Funny isnt it - the Thai apologists are very loud when you say 'dont travel to Thailand now for a short holiday'.  But when there is yet another a real life story showing the downsides, they are nowhere to be found.  4515 tested positive on arrival this year (see below).

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I irony is that the majority of Thais don't want tourists and are happy they're not here. Of course those associated with the tourist industry do not agree, but they aren't the majority.

Frankly, the majority of everyday Thais are indifferent about Farang [tourists or residents] being here or not. Doesn't rule their center of existence.....and certainly know that Farang aren't any more special than themselves. 

Surely, one will get a push from the Farang-centered world, where they find themselves to be all eminent and exceptionally enlightened. Nearly all of such design being terribly fanciful. 

I have a recollection that there used to be a time when there were so many flights leaving just after midnight, that the TH used that as an excuse to charge a one day overstay fine. If my recollection is correct, this was then changed so that as long as you cleared passport control before the midnight, ypu were deemed to have left on time.

But the case that is being reported here really is an outrage. I was In TH when the first lockdown started and almost immediately, I received an email from KLM telling me that with three weeks to go, they had already cancelled my return flight. I toughed it out for a few days, but when it became obvious that things were not going to get better anytime soon, I started looking for flights home. In the space of 24 hours, I booked and paid for 4 flights all of which were cancelled within hours of the booking being paid for. Suddenly my credit limit was disappearing up it's own posterior. Fortunately, I wasn't dependent on the card for resources. Regardless, it is possible to envisage a scenario where I might have been stick in TH because various airlines held onto my money for several months, and then be fined for overstaying because I could not buy a ticket.

But it's stories such as these, that seriously damage TH's reputation as a mecca for tourism.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

I have a recollection that there used to be a time when there were so many flights leaving just after midnight, that the TH used that as an excuse to charge a one day overstay fine. If my recollection is correct, this was then changed so that as long as you cleared passport control before the midnight, ypu were deemed to have left on time.

But the case that is being reported here really is an outrage. I was In TH when the first lockdown started and almost immediately, I received an email from KLM telling me that with three weeks to go, they had already cancelled my return flight. I toughed it out for a few days, but when it became obvious that things were not going to get better anytime soon, I started looking for flights home. In the space of 24 hours, I booked and paid for 4 flights all of which were cancelled within hours of the booking being paid for. Suddenly my credit limit was disappearing up it's own posterior. Fortunately, I wasn't dependent on the card for resources. Regardless, it is possible to envisage a scenario where I might have been stick in TH because various airlines held onto my money for several months, and then be fined for overstaying because I could not buy a ticket.

But it's stories such as these, that seriously damage TH's reputation as a mecca for tourism.

Same thing happened to an Aussie couple I heard about on a local forum. We were very lucky - our last trip meant we flew out in January 2020 - thank goodness we were not there in Feb/March as we usually were each year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manu said:

You wait as long as it takes, until the end of your life if you wish, most people will not, they will enjoy themselves and if a small thing is not going right, then they will complain (rightly) and that's that, wether you like it or not (not sure why you bother in the first place if you are happy with your decision).

Actually "most people" will behave reasonably and consider others - it's only a small but vocal minority who won't.

11 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

No, it's always been based on when you go through departure - that's an old whinger's tale.  The problem was that if your flight was delayed and you were allowed back out or to stay in a hotel then you could be fined when you came back - the first day used to be free if you only overstayed for a day, but I think that stopped quite a while ago.

38 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Regardless, it is possible to envisage a scenario where I might have been stick in TH because various airlines held onto my money for several months, and then be fined for overstaying because I could not buy a ticket.

Oh come on - you can't seriously be suggesting that if someone doesn't have enough money to buy a flight out they shouldn't be fined for overstaying 😯?

Come on Thai apologists of which there seem to be plenty here. Try to spin this one . You will find a way to blame the farang and absolve the Thai authorities. There are better places to spent you money then Thailand.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, whitesnake said:

What are you ranting on about... ??!!! This tread has nothing to do with Foreigners wearing masks or not!!! 

Don't try to argue with the Thai apologists. They are like the witnesses of corona. Anything that threatens their narrative will be vehemently attacked.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rangers said:

I hate to tell you this but if adults want to go on holiday that's their choice, you don't control that. Thailand is a holiday destination and people will always travel here. Sniffles or no sniffles. 

Constantly missing the point. stating obvious & irrelevant points. introducing unrelated points. dismissed ….. again.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

No common sense either!!! 

Common? As in an excepted standard? 

Don't believe there's such an entity. 

No such beast as an absolute. 

Common. 

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Foreign vacation unnecessary for “living your life”. Vacation in Home country for two years. This is all just a “blip” in time. Sorry for kids as two years a large piece of time and huge impact re. education & social life. Adults ? Suck it up. Not like you’re away facing violent death in ww2 is it ?

You call it holiday, I call it freedom, that’s why we disagree. The difference is I am not bothered what you think, but you are the way I think.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Transam said:

An 'I'm alright Jack' attitude, which would soon change if you ended up on a respirator....🥴

My problem, not yours so I am not sure why you are bothered (I paid all my life for the public health care - 3 of them in my life of 3 different countries). Also there is also the huge possibility that it never happens. The thing is I am not scared of it but you are. The sooner you understand that, the sooner you  realise your constant rampage about it on a small online forum, the better the your life quality will improve. Also I am vaccinated so apparently I am safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Actually "most people" will behave reasonably and consider others - it's only a small but vocal minority who won't.

Behave and consider others? I have not waited for Covid to do exactly so. Don’t bother mate.

• Like 1