News Forum - British man fined for overstay after being forced into Bangkok quarantine

Thaiger

15 hours ago, Fundok said:

This bears the question: why do all of this? Why should someone with three vaccinations wear a mask? Little personal risk, significantly less likely to infect others.

Because masks aren't about "personal risk"!!!

.. and while "less likely" it's still easy, particularly with Omicron.

The focus should be to vaccinate as much and as many as possible rather than sticking to something that made sense when Delta was dominating, but now not that much anymore.

But you can't speed up the vaccination rates here - it's not possibhle as there aren't enough vaccines, and even if there were you can't safely ignore the time gap.  Why "focus" on the impossible 😂?

BTW: anyone who wishes to continue wearing a mask is free to do so. 

BTW - it only gives collective protection if everyone does it.

8 hours ago, Fundok said:

Being confined to your home, only permitted to leave it to do basic errands or outdoors exercise as done in UK, Italy, France, Austria etc is in my view a massive intervention into one's personal freedom. I don't think that the US had been subjected to strict rules like that which were enforced by fines in excess of 1000€, sometimes even several thousands of €. So I am not complaing about other countries setting up restrictions for foreignets in the first place, but have tried to merely explain to you that the measures imposed by EU countries to EU citizen were not all insignificant as they touched the core essence of our liberties. Feel free to see it different; probably not easy to appreciate when not being an EU citizen, so I don't blame you. I am old enough to recall the times when there were borders, hence for me zravelling freely within the EU  especially the Schengen treaty countries,without the need to show an ID when passing a border is a huge benefit.

But Thailand hasn't done that!

It hasn't needed to because Thais (and the vast majority of foreigners living here) don't mind wearing masks, and doing so saves all the other rules and restrictions others have been subjected to.

What makes more sense?

Wearing masks, particularly when the vast majority of people have no objection, or all the other restrictions that the West has imposed, closing businesses, closing parks, not letting people exercise outdoors, etc?

16 hours ago, Fundok said:

Ok, we need to agree what the topic is. Masks help, I agree. However, the question is: how much sense does the mask mandate make with Omikron? For those being vaccinated the infection bears only a minimal residual risk of being lethal. Given the experience several European countries make right now, the high infection rates do not bring the health system to collapse.

This bears the question: why do all of this? Why should someone with three vaccinations wear a mask?

Asia has culturally has embraced masks as a health care measure. Not necessarily to prevent their infection, but as a common courtesy to the community when sick and fulfil expected civic duty.

Why should a vaccinated person wear a mask here? Because it's expected of you, and this isn't Europe.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, Thommo said:

Really? thats is a far better   model then having 80+% hotel occupancy, just let me think about that for a moment  🤪 500 baht a day haha.  my rental  in bkk cost me more then that.

Any chance you can arrange a rental for me at that rate in bkk along sukhumvit rd

fos

It's 500 Bt per day on top of accomodation/hospital charges - with nothing but a stamp in your passport in return.

• 3 weeks later...

Have they fixed this issues? Anybody in this forum, I am sure it's still going on & that's why you need to add extra 10 days for your departure date on your COVID-19 travel insurance. definitely have a lot of expenses which include: B100K for the hospitel due to quarantine, B30K for your plane ticket where ever your home is, and finally another B5K for the immigration due to overstay. These can be claim under Trip Delay or Trip Interruption.