News Forum - British man fined for overstay after being forced into Bangkok quarantine

Thaiger

14 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

As with all infections systems vary.  My son had a  high fever 102 F for 2 days and unable to eat for a couple more. He's OK now but I wouldn't call it mild and no worse than a  cold. 

Symptoms?, Fred.  They sound like the H1N1 flu symptoms I had about 3 years back. I appreciate symptoms will range from nothing to serious but the average seems not much worse than a bad cold.

23 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

As with all infections systems vary.  My son had a  high fever 102 F for 2 days and unable to eat for a couple more. He's OK now but I wouldn't call it mild and no worse than a  cold. 

Myh daughter just had something like that last week, but we kept her temp down to 37.5 or lower. About almost at 95.5F. She threw up for 2 days and stomach was a mess for 4 -5 days. Took a home Covid test so it wasn't that. Stomach bug or flu we gather.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:34 AM, Janneman said:

This year Thailand will get 8 million visitors, according to some minister. Say 2% of them test positive before returning home, and they have to stay in a hospital causing them to overstay their visa time. That's 160.000 people. Times 500 baht per day that adds up to a lot. Nice business model.

Really? thats is a far better   model then having 80+% hotel occupancy, just let me think about that for a moment  🤪 500 baht a day haha.  my rental  in bkk cost me more then that.

Any chance you can arrange a rental for me at that rate in bkk along sukhumvit rd

fos

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:10 PM, RampantRabbit said:

Death  lasts  a  pretty  long time though

Death from what..!!!!  A glorified cold

On 2/3/2022 at 8:06 PM, Poolie said:

No, I can't. I wait to see it.

You mean there will be no protesters against this unelected soldier posing as a PM and his Junta once this Chinese virus goes endemic which it may do within a few months?? 😲

On 1/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, Bluesofa said:

I know years ago ferangs in hospital were visited by immigration, who gave them an extension on medical grounds.
I can't remember if was free or not. The hospital used to contact immigration on their behalf.

I'm sure that there is another side to this story. It's easy complaining about a $130 fee for overstaying, but he also had an issue with his hospital bill. This suggests to me he enjoys complaining and is typical grumpy old man. 

He needs to get a life.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Myh daughter just had something like that last week, but we kept her temp down to 37.5 or lower. About almost at 95.5F. She threw up for 2 days and stomach was a mess for 4 -5 days. Took a home Covid test so it wasn't that. Stomach bug or flu we gather.

FYI: 37.5 is 99.5F

Just now, JohninDublin said:

FYI: 37.5 is 99.5F

Thank you for calling the mistake to my attention. It was a typo. 98.6 is normal body temp so 95.5 is obviously wrong input by me fingers, and yes she was running 99.5 going near to 100 at peak before we iced her down to control it.

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Thank you for calling the mistake to my attention. It was a typo. 98.6 is normal body temp so 95.5 is obviously wrong input by me fingers, and yes she was running 99.5 going near to 100 at peak before we iced her down to control it.

Delighted to hear she is improving,

11 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Delighted to hear she is improving,

Thank you JiD. Nowadays when someone, especially soneone you love gets sick, it swings you into high alert, and when it settles down is such a relief. Cheers. 

You almost out of here now I take it. Have a safe trip back home.

10 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Thank you JiD. Nowadays when someone, especially soneone you love gets sick, it swings you into high alert, and when it settles down is such a relief. Cheers. 

You almost out of here now I take it. Have a safe trip back home.

No probs empathising with your first para. I've just started a new thread in Trip Reports reporting that I am currently in Police custody in Doha regarding your good wishes.

20 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

No probs empathising with your first para. I've just started a new thread in Trip Reports reporting that I am currently in Police custody in Doha regarding your good wishes.

Oh Danny Boy JiD. Just read your story over yonder in the other thread. Twat a mess. I will follow over there. Stay cool and thanks for empathising with me and my daughter story. Bet a beer never looked so good now, but fat chance getting one where you are.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:38 PM, Fundok said:

No, currently the hospitals over here in Western and Central Europe are busy, but by no means overcrowded, which includes the intensive care units. That's why quite a number of countries are relaxing their restrictions. Omikron is highly contagious (record infection numbers) but it typically does not hospitalisation on a larger scale.

Still, that makes it even less understandable why those testing positive are confined to quarantine for ten days in Thailand (over here it is only 5 days).

You're assuming that people testing positive here are generally "sent to hospital if they're not sick" because @stapoz suggested that's happens.

It doesn't.

The vast majority living here, or with a home here, foreign or Thai, will quarantine at home, just like anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

You're assuming that people testing positive here are generally "sent to hospital if they're not sick" because @stapoz suggested that's happens.

It doesn't.

The vast majority living here, or with a home here, foreign or Thai, will quarantine at home, just like anywhere else.

Well, over here in Europe the biggest fear is that the virus will bring the public health system to collapse. You will probably have seen the horrifying footage of the overrun hospitals in Bergamo (IT) in the early days of the pandemic. This and of course the high numbers of deaths were the main triggers to implement all those measures including the mandatory wearing of masks. If these triggers are not there anymore, obviously there is no need to upkeep those measures which have deeply cut in our personal freedom. If, as you say, there is no danger that the hospitals and namely the ICUs in Thailand will be overrun because most of the infected people stay home it makes it for me even less logical to continue with the mask mandate and the testing for tourists on day 5. Omikron is there, nothing will stop it from spreading anyway. But if this doesn't lead to the health system to collapse or many people to die, why is there still a mask mandate in place?

3 hours ago, Fundok said:

Well, over here in Europe the biggest fear is that the virus will bring the public health system to collapse. You will probably have seen the horrifying footage of the overrun hospitals in Bergamo (IT) in the early days of the pandemic. This and of course the high numbers of deaths were the main triggers to implement all those measures including the mandatory wearing of masks. If these triggers are not there anymore, obviously there is no need to upkeep those measures which have deeply cut in our personal freedom. If, as you say, there is no danger that the hospitals and namely the ICUs in Thailand will be overrun because most of the infected people stay home it makes it for me even less logical to continue with the mask mandate and the testing for tourists on day 5. Omikron is there, nothing will stop it from spreading anyway. But if this doesn't lead to the health system to collapse or many people to die, why is there still a mask mandate in place?

Why are you connecting the mask mandate with quarantine and testing, or concluding that the mask mandate is purely or even mainly to stop hospitals being overrun?

The mask mandate is to stop the spread and to protect people (others, not the wearer) and the evidence for it working is conclusive - if you need links I can give countless, as I have already.

Thais don't object to the mask mandate - they're pretty clearly strongly in favour, and the vast majority were wearing masks even before they had to and it was mandated. Some foreigners may not like it, but Thais very clearly do.

5 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

An 'interesting' read.  Sorry, but I don't really have much sympathy but maybe you were just having a bad couple of days.

7 hours ago, Fundok said:

Where do you live and what freedoms have you been denied?

That's not a contentious challenge 

I know Australia definitely has been harsh

But here in Canada, where we are pretty conservative towards covid 

I can't recall one thing I haven't been able to do, with the exception of the initial few months 

Edited by Marc26

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Where do you live and what freedoms have you been denied?

That's not a contentious challenge 

I know Australia definitely has been harsh

But here in Canada, where we are pretty conservative towards covid 

I can't recall one thing I haven't been able to do, with the exception of the initial few months 

I live in Switzerland. There were lockdowns, travel restrictions i.e. to go to neighboring Austria or Germany where I was renovating a house, forced home and split office (couldn't meet some of my colleagues for about 6 months).

For Canada, travelling to the USA was restricted I heard, and of course until very recently this was true too for Europe and wishing to travel to the USA.

Colleagues of mine commuting from Austria to work had to do weekly tests on a regular basis, so over here practically everone was affected one way or the other.

Even today, travelling from Switzerland to Germany just for a weekend I am obliged to submit a digital entry form for the German authorities, including an upload of my vaccination certificate. Not that much of a deal compared to the paperwork required for the "Thai Pass" but still something I didn't have to do pre-Covid. 

I considerall of the above being an Intrusion to my indicidual freedom as granted by our constitution. Can't judge about the situation in Canada, but where I live, restrictions are in place as we speak.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Why are you connecting the mask mandate with quarantine and testing, or concluding that the mask mandate is purely or even mainly to stop hospitals being overrun?

The mask mandate is to stop the spread and to protect people (others, not the wearer) and the evidence for it working is conclusive - if you need links I can give countless, as I have already.

Thais don't object to the mask mandate - they're pretty clearly strongly in favour, and the vast majority were wearing masks even before they had to and it was mandated. Some foreigners may not like it, but Thais very clearly do.

Ok, we need to agree what the topic is. Masks help, I agree. However, the question is: how much sense does the mask mandate make with Omikron? For those being vaccinated the infection bears only a minimal residual risk of being lethal. Given the experience several European countries make right now, the high infection rates do not bring the health system to collapse.

This bears the question: why do all of this? Why should someone with three vaccinations wear a mask? Little personal risk, significantly less likely to infect others. The focus should be to vaccinate as much and as many as possible rather than sticking to something that made sense when Delta was dominating, but now not that much anymore. Let's wear masks in public transport and indoor venues like shops etc. But a general mask mandate - in my view - does not make much sense these days. BTW: anyone who wishes to continue wearing a mask is free to do so. 

15 minutes ago, Fundok said:

I live in Switzerland. There were lockdowns, travel restrictions i.e. to go to neighboring Austria or Germany where I was renovating a house, forced home and split office (couldn't meet some of my colleagues for about 6 months).

For Canada, travelling to the USA was restricted I heard, and of course until very recently this was true too for Europe and wishing to travel to the USA.

Colleagues of mine commuting from Austria to work had to do weekly tests on a regular basis, so over here practically everone was affected one way or the other.

Even today, travelling from Switzerland to Germany just for a weekend I am obliged to submit a digital entry form for the German authorities, including an upload of my vaccination certificate. Not that much of a deal compared to the paperwork required for the "Thai Pass" but still something I didn't have to do pre-Covid. 

I considerall of the above being an Intrusion to my indicidual freedom as granted by our constitution. Can't judge about the situation in Canada, but where I live, restrictions are in place as we speak.

It's not your right to travel to another country 

So any restriction to travel to a country doesn't impede your freedom

And we definitely disagree, but the way I look at it, any restrictions we have had has not really impacted my life all that much 

I'm American living in Canada

I've been able to travel back and forth(with tests) 

My wife is Thai and has been able to travel to both US and live in Canada 

And yes, there has been some minor inconveniences

But a lot of the things people say when talking about freedoms is not actually their right 

So their freedom can't be taken away , since it's not their right

But I've seen your posts and I think you've been pretty reasonable on your views so I'm not dismissing any of your views 

I'm not saying i agree with all restrictions either

Just that they have had very little impact on my life 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

It's not your right to travel to another country 

So any restriction to travel to a country doesn't impede your freedom

And we definitely disagree, but the way I look at it, any restrictions we have had has not really impacted my life all that much 

I'm American living in Canada

I've been able to travel back and forth(with tests) 

My wife is Thai and has been able to travel to both US and live in Canada 

And yes, there has been some minor inconveniences

But a lot of the things people say when talking about freedoms is not actually their right 

So their freedom can't be taken away , since it's not their right

But I've seen your posts and I think you've been pretty reasonable on your views so I'm not dismissing any of your views 

I'm not saying i agree with all restrictions either

Just that they have had very little impact on my life 

I agree that I don't have a particular right to go to, say Thailand. But as a citizen of the EU I have the grantrd right not only to travel to any country of the EU as I see fit, but to even settle freely in any EU country. This right was denied, not only to me, but many other EU citizen. With all due respect, this is not comparable with not being able to travel to a third country. It's like not being able to freely travel from one province to the other. This right to move and work freely within any EU country is really one of the foundations of the EU, so restricting it is quite a thing.

Being confined to your home, only permitted to leave it to do basic errands or outdoors exercise as done in UK, Italy, France, Austria etc is in my view a massive intervention into one's personal freedom. I don't think that the US had been subjected to strict rules like that which were enforced by fines in excess of 1000€, sometimes even several thousands of €. So I am not complaing about other countries setting up restrictions for foreignets in the first place, but have tried to merely explain to you that the measures imposed by EU countries to EU citizen were not all insignificant as they touched the core essence of our liberties. Feel free to see it different; probably not easy to appreciate when not being an EU citizen, so I don't blame you. I am old enough to recall the times when there were borders, hence for me zravelling freely within the EU  especially the Schengen treaty countries,without the need to show an ID when passing a border is a huge benefit.

39 minutes ago, Fundok said:

I agree that I don't have a particular right to go to, say Thailand. But as a citizen of the EU I have the grantrd right not only to travel to any country of the EU as I see fit, but to even settle freely in any EU country. This right was denied, not only to me, but many other EU citizen. With all due respect, this is not comparable with not being able to travel to a third country. It's like not being able to freely travel from one province to the other. This right to move and work freely within any EU country is really one of the foundations of the EU, so restricting it is quite a thing.

Being confined to your home, only permitted to leave it to do basic errands or outdoors exercise as done in UK, Italy, France, Austria etc is in my view a massive intervention into one's personal freedom. I don't think that the US had been subjected to strict rules like that which were enforced by fines in excess of 1000€, sometimes even several thousands of €. So I am not complaing about other countries setting up restrictions for foreignets in the first place, but have tried to merely explain to you that the measures imposed by EU countries to EU citizen were not all insignificant as they touched the core essence of our liberties. Feel free to see it different; probably not easy to appreciate when not being an EU citizen, so I don't blame you. I am old enough to recall the times when there were borders, hence for me zravelling freely within the EU  especially the Schengen treaty countries,without the need to show an ID when passing a border is a huge benefit.

Sure it's a huge benefit and yes, I guess you can say it is your right

But it seems people were allowed to travel with "compelling reasons" and that seems to entail a lot of family being allowed( spouses, children)

So sure as a EU citizen you can usually move freely but it seems, like North America, they were allowing direct family to also travel 

So sure you couldn't go to Italy or France just because you wanted to

But you could for compelling reasons 

My wife was allowed to travel to the US and my stepson was allowed to travel to Canada 

My siblings could not travel to Canada, unless I was in a medical emergency state

So yes, our "freedom" for my siblings to visit me was restricted

But I just don't see that temporary restrictions as impeding on my freedoms all that much