News Forum - British man fined for overstay after being forced into Bangkok quarantine

Thaiger

On 1/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, Transam said:

Perhaps you just don't like opinions different to your own and can't handle it, but at least the weeee yellow things cheer you up....😛...........😉

Yeap I guess that is where both our worlds end, these yellow faces cheer you up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2022 at 1:58 PM, BJoe said:

Isn’t this soooo typical of Thai authorities. A distinct lack of common sense or the flexibility that goes with it.

Agreed. Only in Thailand.

Unlike the west where common sense and flexibility prevail everywhere

But that's not the topic. Shall we discuss it in "all other discussions"? 

------->

https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/137-all-other-discussion/

On 1/19/2022 at 7:50 AM, oldschooler said:

“ Attitude “ is the reality that foreign holidays are an unnecessary massively inconvenient luxury right now, not some childish entitlement . Life is clearly not reduced to survival -only mode by not having one.

I believe that holidays are a luxury, but they are 100% necessary to anyone that can afford them. 

It's vital that life should be filled with as much fun and leisure as is humanly possible. 

It's not a rehearsal, everyone that is lucky enough to have money, absolutely should spend it on enjoying life and helping others.

It should be a legal requirement to spend 50% of your income on either charity or having a good time.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, Stainless said:

I believe that holidays are a luxury, but they are 100% necessary to anyone that can afford them. 

It's vital that life should be filled with as much fun and leisure as is humanly possible. 

It's not a rehearsal, everyone that is lucky enough to have money, absolutely should spend it on enjoying life and helping others.

It should be a legal requirement to spend 50% of your income on either charity or having a good time.

Hello, @Stainlessand welcome to the forum! Some interesting views, there, that I'm sure will generate further response . . . exactly what the forum is here for!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stainless said:

Disagree with all that hedonistic & charity nonsense. My taxes and spend can help others. Life for regular folk is mostly work, duty and pain with perhaps 10 % enjoyment if lucky & like charity ,cannot be compelled.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, Manu said:

You call it holiday, I call it freedom, that’s why we disagree. The difference is I am not bothered what you think, but you are the way I think.

You make :wrong correlations between different subjects, false  conclusions &  personal attacks,  all crudely & negatively, without engaging with actual subject case. 

We are “ free” to travel in space ….. just hundreds of obstacles to get there. We are free to take foreign vacation or domestic vacation or no vacation. All have natural limits. Difficult and irrational to take foreign vacation during pandemic. Thats my only point. 

People believe all kinds of nonsense best kept to themselves but when externalized it will be challenged & dismissed by rational people. 

On 1/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, Manu said:

You wait as long as it takes, until the end of your life if you wish, most people will not, they will enjoy themselves and if a small thing is not going right, then they will complain (rightly) and that's that, wether you like it or not (not sure why you bother in the first place if you are happy with your decision).

That's fine, but it seems the longer this Chinese virus continues, the more money country's will make, particularly this country. but it also seems that this Junta with an unelected soldier posing as a PM, is probably wanting the virus to continue as it will keep the protesters quiet, as I think we all know what will happen when the virus ends.

54 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

That's fine, but it seems the longer this Chinese virus continues, the more money country's will make, particularly this country. but it also seems that this Junta with an unelected soldier posing as a PM, is probably wanting the virus to continue as it will keep the protesters quiet, as I think we all know what will happen when the virus ends.

What will happen?

5 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You make :wrong correlations between different subjects, false  conclusions &  personal attacks,  all crudely & negatively, without engaging with actual subject case. 

We are “ free” to travel in space ….. just hundreds of obstacles to get there. We are free to take foreign vacation or domestic vacation or no vacation. All have natural limits. Difficult and irrational to take foreign vacation during pandemic. Thats my only point. 

People believe all kinds of nonsense best kept to themselves but when externalized it will be challenged & dismissed by rational people. 

I get your “only point”, got it ages ago, I simply disagree as you disagree with me it seems. Not sure how it is so miles away from each other but it is. My opinions are a nonsense to you but yours are the same to me. I appreciate for not being nasty about it though, even if I am telling you that the first paragraph of your comment is so wrong I do not even know where to start with it. I guess the difference between us is so huge there is simply no way. I guess same for you. It is only an online forum but it represents also the same confrontations happening in the real world. That’s that really. 

On 1/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, Manu said:

You call it holiday, I call it freedom, that’s why we disagree. The difference is I am not bothered what you think, but you are the way I think.

Life must be so bad that you only want to escape. I understand your motives, but why are things so bad. They'll still be bad after your holiday.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Life must be so bad that you only want to escape. I understand your motives, but why are things so bad. They'll still be bad after your holiday.

I get your point… but at least this is your choice. No your state’s choice. I guess… I guess it is your freedom of movement, if you don’t have it, then never mind figuring out even if it will be good or not afterwards, you have not been given the choice to decide freely. 

2 hours ago, Manu said:

I get your point… but at least this is your choice. No your state’s choice. I guess… I guess it is your freedom of movement, if you don’t have it, then never mind figuring out even if it will be good or not afterwards, you have not been given the choice to decide freely. 

You are incredibly confused. Mixing many separate subjects. Try “ breaking down” subjects into component parts. Nobody is threatening your freedom, just imposing certain extra pandemic conditions (obstacles) which, I am arguing, makes it irrational to travel outside your country, if only for vacation. LF post raises motive for your quite unrradonable insistence on a foreign vacation, at any cost, even in face of extreme conditions, risk and inevitable higher stress / lower enjoyment. Such vacation is a privilege, yes a right,  but not an entitlement.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You are incredibly confused. Mixing many separate subjects. Try “ breaking down” subjects into component parts. Nobody is threatening your freedom, just imposing certain extra pandemic conditions (obstacles) which, I am arguing, makes it irrational to travel outside your country, if only for vacation. LF post raises motive for your quite unrradonable insistence on a foreign vacation, at any cost, even in face of extreme conditions, risk and inevitable higher stress / lower enjoyment. Such vacation is a privilege, yes a right,  but not an entitlement.

Nothing else I could add to what I said before. I feel sorry if anything. I hope your meaning of life does indeed matches  your life. That’s what I hope for everyone

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 8:13 AM, MikeV said:

I mean yeah, if your only purpose to come is to party with others fresh off the plane then sure. It's not the best time to come. Also, if you aren't willing to isolate before your expensive flight to greatly reduce your chance of a positive it's not a good time to come. That's common sense.

And yes, not a good look for immigration but immigration is always going to do what it feels like everywhere.

Well, I came together with my Thai wife to catch up with family and friends in Chiang Mai. Had to stay in Phuket for 7 days because of the sandbox, didn't go out to oarty like crazy. Yet we could have infected ourselves anytime anywhere but luckily we didn't. So I think you are too much into stereotypes when you reduce the infection risk solely to those who are into nighttime entertainment.

Three of my colleagues over here in Switzerland attracted the virus last minth, all vaccinated at least twice, and inconspicious of being party goers. So Omikron is indeed really good at infecting new victims. However, we can agree that those who patron bars etc in Phuket or elsewhere expose themselves to an increased infection risk.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:37 AM, stapoz said:

Why in this country do they send people to a hospital if they are not sick? Do they have too many empty places in hospitals? All of Europe is suffering from lack of space in hospitals, people are dying in the ambulance waiting for a place in the hospital. Meanwhile in Thailand ....

No, currently the hospitals over here in Western and Central Europe are busy, but by no means overcrowded, which includes the intensive care units. That's why quite a number of countries are relaxing their restrictions. Omikron is highly contagious (record infection numbers) but it typically does not hospitalisation on a larger scale.

Still, that makes it even less understandable why those testing positive are confined to quarantine for ten days in Thailand (over here it is only 5 days).

On 1/19/2022 at 7:22 AM, oldschooler said:

Again, just don’t get why folk leave their country under pandemic conditions ,purely for vacation. Stay Home & Wait for Normality.

Maybe because we are vaccinated 3x, and actually the risk to get infected is higher back home, and because we miss travelling to Thailand after two years and we miss our family and friends in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, Fundok said:

No, currently the hospitals over here in Western and Central Europe are busy, but by no means overcrowded, which includes the intensive care units. That's why quite a number of countries are relaxing their restrictions. Omikron is highly contagious (record infection numbers) but it typically does not hospitalisation on a larger scale.

Still, that makes it even less understandable why those testing positive are confined to quarantine for ten days in Thailand (over here it is only 5 days).

Good info except I'm curious about the contagious part.  I know several couples, where only one partner has acquired Omicron, almost exclusively within the 3 to 5 day incubation window, the other half never got sick nor tested +ve.  One was our daughter and neither her nor her BF had vaccinations.

7 days home isolation was ok'd and the BF got a 90 day covid exemption certificate upon clearance.  He described his slight fever and runny nose as no worse than a mild cold.

10 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Good info except I'm curious about the contagious part.  I know several couples, where only one partner has acquired Omicron, almost exclusively within the 3 to 5 day incubation window, the other half never got sick nor tested +ve.  One was our daughter and neither her nor her BF had vaccinations.

7 days home isolation was ok'd and the BF got a 90 day covid exemption certificate upon clearance.  He described his slight fever and runny nose as no worse than a mild cold.

One colleague has had a previous infection and was vaccinated, another colleague got one positive and two negative PCR tests (!) despite having all the symptoms and he thinks he got it from his son. Indeed, there seems to be no rule that necessary every family will get infected if one is infected, but still a wave of new daily infections is running through UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Austria, France to name a few.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fundok said:

Maybe because we are vaccinated 3x, and actually the risk to get infected is higher back home, and because we miss travelling to Thailand after two years and we miss our family and friends in Thailand?

Not “ pure vacation” then ….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Not “ pure vacation” then ….

Sure vacation in our minds. But maybe not the vacation type that others may be looking for.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:21 AM, DiJoDavO said:

"administrators who alleged that the patient’s insurance company would not pay the full amount of his treatment bill." 

If there's one thing I deeply hate, it's insurance companies. 

Expectation: Give us your money, and we will make sure that you will be safe financially when the shit hits the fan. 

Reality: Thank you for the money you lying POS. We're gonna do anything we can not to give you back your money. Good luck with your shitty problem haha. 

Especially true of Thai insurance companies who effectively are unregulated, by western standards, so practice that “no pay Claim” shit a lot…….many dedicated posts on the other forum on this……

17 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

As with all infections systems vary.  My son had a  high fever 102 F for 2 days and unable to eat for a couple more. He's OK now but I wouldn't call it mild and no worse than a  cold.