News Forum - Thailand approves plan to attract highly-skilled foreign workers, investors, wealthy retirees

Thaiger

Measures aimed at attracting wealthy long-stay foreigners to Thailand have been approved in principle by Cabinet. The government is targeting foreign investors, highly-skilled professionals and wealthy retirees in a bid to develop the Covid-battered economy. Long-term residence visas of up to 10 years are on offer, along with work permits for those who qualify, according to Thai PBS World. Government spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek explains that while the visa issued to qualifying people will be a 10-year visa, it must be extended after year 5. The extension will be good for another 5 years only. Foreign nationals who believe they meet […]

The story Thailand approves plan to attract highly-skilled foreign workers, investors, wealthy retirees as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Measures aimed at attracting wealthy long-stay foreigners to Thailand have been approved in principle by Cabinet. The government is targeting foreign investors, highly-skilled professionals and wealthy retirees in a bid to develop the Covid-battered economy. Long-term residence visas of up to 10 years are on offer, along with work permits for those who qualify, according to Thai PBS World. Government spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek explains that while the visa issued to qualifying people will be a 10-year visa, it must be extended after year 5. The extension will be good for another 5 years only. Foreign nationals who believe they meet […]

The story Thailand approves plan to attract highly-skilled foreign workers, investors, wealthy retirees as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

From the original https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabinet-approves-plans-to-attract-long-stay-foreigners-to-thailand/

"With the certificate, foreign professionals who want to work from Thailand and highly-skilled professionals can apply for a work permit as special cases for economic development."

I do believe this is a "digital nomad" visa for those who qualify. 

The second case is part of the EEC I think? 

• Like 1

Looks like a winner and only 10k baht/ year. That's only about 300 dollars. A regular retirement visa is almost 2000 baht so the difference is 8000 baht or 240 dollars. No need for border runs agents etc.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

44 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The government is targeting foreign investors, highly-skilled professionals

But struggling to target the workers that do all the work that Thai people just don’t want to do! They just turn them around at the border …. Oh dear, how sad, never mind 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But struggling to target the workers that do all the work that Thai people just don’t want to do! They just turn them around at the border …. Oh dear, how sad, never mind 

And what would that work be? 

• Like 2

The devil will be in the detail, but any new visa option is good news. If it encompasses remote workers, then Thailand could have struck gold.

Whilst there should be eligibility requirements, we can only hope that the past form of them being unrealistic isn't repeated.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

The devil will be in the detail, but any new visa option is good news. If it encompasses remote workers, then Thailand could have struck gold.

Whilst there should be eligibility requirements, we can only hope that the past form of them being unrealistic isn't repeated.

I came across some hint at the requirements not to long ago and it was not self-employed crypto enthusiasts  but employees of large companies, with mid-range salaries, on contracts of at least 6months or more, etc. who would qualify. If memory serves.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Rachada Dhnadirek explains that while the visa issued to qualifying people will be a 10-year visa, it must be extended after year 5. The extension will be good for another 5 years only.

When is a 10 yr visa not a 10 yr visa .? When it's a Thai visa of course .. thanks but I'll stick to MasterCard .. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Vince said:

I came across some hint at the requirements not to long ago and it was not self-employed crypto enthusiasts  but employees of large companies, with mid-range salaries, on contracts of at least 6months or more, etc. who would qualify. If memory serves.

Yes, I remember when it was first floated and those seemed reasonable at the time. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

I am sure there are lots who would be willing to pay 10k baht every year to have a long stay visa. Why don't they just offer it easy like that to everyone? Why do these nincompoops always feel the need to make it something special and shun sham eveyone else. 

• Like 1

A very notable absence from this statement was the previous mention of a right for these visa holders to own land.  

As a potential candidate for these visas, I can categorically say that I have absolutely zero interest in investing in a country where my investment has to be split 49/51 with nationals of that country (in the case of a private company), is only secure for 30 years (in the case of landed property), or where the process of gaining full ownership and control (e.g. BOI Company) is so onerous, lengthy, expensive and utterly subjective that it increases the risk beyond an economical level.

Oh, and the need to subject any visiting house guests to the privacy invasion of TM30 reporting is yet further reason to locate elsewhere.

Only once the Government accept that relaxing their protectionist and authoritarian policies will result in more inward investment, which will pump more cash directly (at a minimum, these guys will need housing, vehicles, cleaners, nannies, drivers, gardeners and pool cleaners ), and indirectly (they will unlikely be surviving off kwoy diao and kra prao), will they finally see the levels of migration and economic stimulus they have been dreaming of for decades.

Edited by Anatta
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The government is targeting foreign investors, highly-skilled professionals and wealthy retirees in a bid to develop the Covid-battered economy.

How?

20 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

Yes, I remember when it was first floated and those seemed reasonable at the time. Fingers crossed.

Putting brakes on begpackers and low end sexpats would be a big improvement and open the door for people with better means. Decent people don't want to be shirtless drunks chasing young girls or begpackers scrounging a few baht to extend their time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Putting brakes on begpackers and low end sexpats would be a big improvement and open the door for people with better means. Decent people don't want to be shirtless drunks chasing young girls or begpackers scrounging a few baht to extend their time. 

.....and while we're at it, can comb the country be ridding of the undesirable resident types, as well. 

It's all beneficial for the Thai society. 

2 minutes ago, Rain said:

.....and while we're at it, can comb the country be ridding of the undesirable resident types, as well. 

It's all beneficial for the Thai society. 

Lol