Thaiger Talk Quiz #031 - Pizza Chains in Thailand

BigHewer

Quiz #31

There's never a bad time to order a pizza, even in Thailand. Do you know enough to get 5 out of 5 in this one?

1.thumb.jpg.a094d58213718dbd643e005350b2b5c5.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.8418a065e3e061d1d0f3256b9c96ef12.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.98061c5dde6860b33efae27644e3576f.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.55bab0eadc538396aeb8c8f8455eb76b.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.2284a18b232a8f465c19d82224dfd275.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.afe19744d41d59adfae571df5e74a842.jpg

And now for the answers...

7.thumb.jpg.a04c262bc6b4e79ad382087c8ebe61e0.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.ffcfbaea25b3269edc32895217762101.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.73e598f69313b2329630f1242bf08912.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.cf8b8044a80b020e16a741ad571fd373.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.78edf1c613bb53ed3fcfda2b37d72d61.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.60b70086c97ea1f9093c32b4eab76f95.jpg

• Cool 2

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

2 out of 5.

Let us not speak about this quiz ever again.

Maybe it's good you don't know too much about pizza 🍕

I got a 2 also - even the Hokkaido cheese one :-) 

• Cool 2

Unlike other countries, where the ingredients are more readily available, the best affordable pizza in Thailand is usually the pizza chains.  The alternative is authentic italian restaurants that already import all that stuff, but that is for Italian style and is more expensive.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, samiam123 said:

Unlike other countries, where the ingredients are more readily available, the best affordable pizza in Thailand is usually the pizza chains.  The alternative is authentic italian restaurants that already import all that stuff, but that is for Italian style and is more expensive.

It's not my favorite type of pizza

But I would say the Neopolitan style at the small Italian restaurants are the best pizza in Thailand 

Not that hard to make and usually pretty standard at most restaurants 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But I would say the Neopolitan style at the small Italian restaurants are the best pizza in Thailand 

Nope not true.  For good quality italian food they have to import the cheese and tomato sauce directly, not just through local suppliers, which is really expensive. A lot of people have no taste in pizza though and think it's good just because the crust is good, which is easy enough to do in Thailand. However, it usually has no flavor, so tastes like eating cardboard.

I know good cheese when I taste it and I can only find that with the chains or the good authentic Italian places, which can easily cost twice as much for a pizza half the size compared to the chains.

Edited by samiam123
  • Cool 2

11 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

Nope.  For good quality italian food they have to import the cheese and tomato sauce directly, not through local suppliers, which is really expensive.  A small italian restaurant cannot do it cost effectively like the big chains can.  If it's cheap you know the italian restaurant is buying from local suppliers and it's all crap.  That is why a lot of pizza in Thailand tastes like cardboard.  A lot of people have no taste in pizza though and think it's good just because the crust is good, which is easy enough to do in Thailand. 

I know good cheese when I taste it and I can only find that with the chains or the good authentic Italian places, which can easily cost twice as much for a pizza half the size compared to the chains.

Excuse me sir

You are speaking to the Pizza King of Thai Forums

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

3/5

"Fish & chips pizza...?"

Even me being a connisewer, knew that something wasn't right ..😀

Good to see so many experts on here...is there a Baloney pizza made anywhere...? 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, samiam123 said:

Quality tomatoes can be imported or grown, Thailand has fantastic basic, buffalo mozzarella can be made with water buffalo milk :-), Italian spices can be imported or grown locally, and flour is importable. 

The real barrier to great pizza is not ingredients but skill. 

Few pizza businesses care to put in the effort or develop or hire the talent or get the equipment to make great pizza. 

They just want sellable, edible, good enough and profitable to make pizza 🍕

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Definitely, and the quality is seriously good in some places. I love the variety in Thailand, so many different influences, so you never really know what a pizza will be like until you try it.

That said, I'm more gourmand than gourmet. Neapolitan-style is good for lunch if I'm on the move in the afternoon, but for lazy dinners, beers and sports, Chicago-style pizza is more my thing.

• Like 1

2  out of 5.
Looks like I scored the same as most of the other Philistines. Perhaps it would be an opportunity to open a Middle-East based pizza chain?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

36 minutes ago, Vince said:

Few pizza businesses care to put in the effort or develop or hire the talent or get the equipment to make great pizza. 

Agreed. You get the full spectrum in Thailand. There are chefs who study abroad, chefs who learn from masters and chefs who learn from YouTube. 

Attention to quality also depends on the market they are catering to. 

The worst pizza I’ve ever had was in Thailand (backpacker district in Surat Thani) but my best one ever was in Surin (completely random). It’s such a mixed bag.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Agreed. You get the full spectrum in Thailand. There are chefs who study abroad, chefs who learn from masters and chefs who learn from YouTube.

The ones who learn from YouTube: Are they the ones who learn how to squeeze a 'tube' of tomato paste? 🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

The worst pizza I’ve ever had was in Thailand (backpacker district in Surat Thani) but my best one ever was in Surin (completely random). It’s such a mixed bag.

The best pizza I've had is in a small place staffed with stoned punk rockers. I accidentally met one outside of work and discovered the place is owned by an Italian pizza chef - there was no way these guys could have made such great pizza on their own 😵

The crust is fantastic, lightly crispy. 

I used to go the cafeteria of a company named after fruit and it had beautiful expensive wood fired ovens and offered pizza for its overpayed staff. The pizza was crap.

Good equipment and proper ingredients in mediocre hands made mediocre pizza. It wasn't even consistenty fired. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Faraday said:

All this fuss for something that is basically cheese & tomato on toast.

🤣

Yeah, but don't forget you need to lay the toaster on its side, or the cheese & tomato will fall off the toast.

edit. Like this:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Quality tomatoes can be imported or grown, Thailand has fantastic basic, buffalo mozzarella can be made with water buffalo milk :-), Italian spices can be imported or grown locally, and flour is importable. 

But I don't think there is huge skill in making Neopolitan pizza

I think the gap between a good Neopolitan and a bad one isn't that wide 

I enjoy them once in a while and have had some good ones in Thailand 

55 minutes ago, Faraday said:

All this fuss for something that is basically cheese & tomato on toast.

🤣

If I were a mod I would ban you........  😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vince said:

The best pizza I've had is in a small place staffed with stoned punk rockers. I accidentally met one outside of work and discovered the place is owned by an Italian pizza chef - there was no way these guys could have made such great pizza on their own 😵

The crust is fantastic, lightly crispy. 

I used to go the cafeteria of a company named after fruit and it had beautiful expensive wood fired ovens and offered pizza for its overpayed staff. The pizza was crap.

Good equipment and proper ingredients in mediocre hands made mediocre pizza. It wasn't even consistenty fired. 

Coal oven is the best oven

Most are outlawed now, but if you had them prior to the ban, you were grandfathered in

New Haven, Connecticut 

The Pizza Capital of the World

They are all coal oven 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

One of the best pizzas I've had in Asia wsd in Luang Prabang, Laos

It's called Secret Pizza

An Italian guy married a Laos girl and they open 2x per week in their front yard of their house

You are seriously driving by houses in a village to get there

The 1st video shows the scene

2nd video shows the pizza more 

• Like 1