News Forum - Mix & match formula for vaccines and boosters strengthens immunity against Omicron

Thaiger

Following 2 doses of an inactivated Covid-19 vaccine with a booster mRNA dose increases immunity against the Omicron variant. Dr Supakit Sirilak from the Department of Medical Sciences says tests have shown the mix has proven effective against both the highly-contagious Omicron strain and its predecessor, the Delta variant. The Bangkok Post reports that tests carried out by the Institute of Biological Products show that all vaccines have reduced effectiveness against Omicron compared to Delta. However, Supakit says immunity is significantly increased if a booster dose, particularly of an mRNA vaccine, is administered. “The study shows we do need to […]

The story Mix & match formula for vaccines and boosters strengthens immunity against Omicron as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Great he finish his nap and kicked in a open door i wonder what qualifications you need to be called a scientist here i pretty sure i close to be one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

"I would like to recommend all people, especially those considered at high risk from the disease, to get the booster vaccine as soon as possible.”

There's not much point Dr Supakit recommending people to get an mRNA booster "as soon as possible" when for many, "especially those considered at high risk", it's not generally available "as soon as possible".

Most at high risk who had Pfizer still have three months or more to go before they're eligible (after 6 months) and the only way they'll get an mRNA booster any sooner is if they pre-ordered Moderna.

Other countries are giving boosters much earlier - I realise Thailand can't do that as the vaccines aren't available, but why recommend that people do what's not possible?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stonker said:

There's not much point Dr Supakit recommending people to get an mRNA booster "as soon as possible" when for many, "especially those considered at high risk", it's not generally available "as soon as possible".

Most at high risk who had Pfizer still have three months or more to go before they're eligible (after 6 months) and the only way they'll get an mRNA booster any sooner is if they pre-ordered Moderna.

Other countries are giving boosters much earlier - I realise Thailand can't do that as the vaccines aren't available, but why recommend that people do what's not possible?

My MIL just got Pfizer booster in Samut Prakan at Robinson's a few days ago, after 2 Sino shots just a few months ago

She waited 2 hours walking in 

Is that because she didn't have MRNA as her 1st shots?

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My MIL just got Pfizer booster in Samut Prakan at Robinson's a few days ago, after 2 Sino shots just a few months ago

Yes.

You can get the Pfizer booster at walk-ins after 3 months with any combo of previous jabs except 2 x Pfizer or Moderna.

If you had 2 x Pfizer or Moderna it's generally a 6 month wait.

Edit: these are the eligibility rules from my local hospital, which spells it out:1642244892588.thumb.jpg.7491a52e58484b0427339093fc911f8e.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Stonker said:

Yes.

You can get the Pfizer booster at walk-ins after 3 months with any combo of previous jabs except 2 x Pfizer or Moderna.

If you had 2 x Pfizer or Moderna it's generally a 6 month wait.

Thanks

That seems decent logic

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Just to add, @Marc26, it makes a lot of sense in my view as it spreads the protection around fairly, particularly for medical staff who may have got 2 x Sinovac early - my only gripe is with the Doctor advising people to do what's not possible.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stonker said:

1642244892588.thumb.jpg.7491a52e58484b0427339093fc911f8e.jpg

You can see how many walk-ins there are from the calendar at the bottom - twice a week every week, so those eligible can get the boosters as soon as they're eligible.

The medical staff really are doing everything they can with what they've got available, and I never stop being impressed by my local government hospital. That went out on 'Line' to everyone they had contact details for locally.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Stonker said:

You can see how many walk-ins there are from the calendar at the bottom - twice a week every week, so those eligible can get the boosters as soon as they're eligible.

The medical staff really are doing everything they can with what they've got available, and I never stop being impressed by my local government hospital. That went out on 'Line' to everyone they had contact details for locally.

Same here with the local people responsible in Samut Prakan 

My MIL would know what # she was in line, even when it was in the 30-40k range 

And she said when she went to the walk-in this week, it was well organized 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

My MIL would know what # she was in line, even when it was in the 30-40k range  

"30 - 40k" - that's a heck of a walk-in!

We're not in that sort of range - even when we went to the Khon Kaen walk-in, in the next province for my partner as I'd already had mine, it was limited to 2,000 a day. 

When I had mine, pre-booked at the main provincial hospital, there were about 30 of us (Thai and farang). A couple of months later I got a phone call (in English) to say my yellow vaccine book was ready for collection. Personal and professional.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stonker said:

"30 - 40k" - that's a heck of a walk-in!

We're not in that sort of range - even when we went to the Khon Kaen walk-in, in the next province for my partner as I'd already had mine, it was limited to 2,000 a day. 

When I had mine, pre-booked at the main provincial hospital, there were about 30 of us (Thai and farang). A couple of months later I got a phone call (in English) to say my yellow vaccine book was ready for collection. Personal and professional.

I meant when she was waiting for her initial shots  😀

She would know that she was #25,633 or something

The booster she just got at Robinson's thus week

They were doing 400/day 

Reminds me when I went for my 1st shot in Vancouver 

It was by appointment but they were doing 7k/day at the big event center so it was still a line to wait in

Definitely one of the more surreal feelings of my lifetime 

Felt like a movie.....

My wife's 1st was at a CVS Pharmacy is Boston

By appointment, she just walked in, gave her name and was only one there 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Prosaap said:

Great he finish his nap and kicked in a open door i wonder what qualifications you need to be called a scientist here i pretty sure i close to be one

And your qualifations as a Scientist are what? Or,  are you just complaining?

This is old news. There have already been plenty of peer reviewed studies, with far larger groups around the world that show mixing gives better efficacy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Transam said:

I had 2 x Sinopharm jabs in September, then got a Pfizer at 3 months, early January at a walk in in Ubon. All were free for the ol' fella....😇

Mrs. T had to pay for 2 x Sinopharm at a private hozzy in September, but she got a Pfizer free at the same time as me, she is a tad younger than me.

PS. just a note, second Sinopharm jab seemed to annoy my Chicken Pox, so had a bout of Shingles, not had that for 20+ years. Pfizer jab seemed to annoy Herpes Simplex (cold sores), usually get that if I have a chill/cold. So not too bad, at least no Covid, as a bloke that has not stayed behind closed doors...😋

Good you stay isolated. 

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

"I would like to recommend all people, especially those considered at high risk from the disease, to get the booster vaccine as soon as possible.”

Can one get a "booster" without first getting "vaccinated"?

A bit presumptuous of the good doctor.

These "immunity level" figures don't make much sense to me, and, when figures like 282 are compared to 23, I just want to try to make a simple comparison, to find the answers I need.

The real questions I want to be answered are:

(1) what is the effectiveness of 2 doses of Sinovac, versus 2 doses of Sinovac +1 Pfizer booster

compared to

(2)  2 doses of Pfizer and a mixed booster (guessing Moderna, but maybe Astra)

(a) against Delta and

(b) against Omicron

I think this would adequately illustrate how good or bad a vaccination of 2 doses of Sinovac alone really is.

BUT... What I think I'm seeing is smoke and mirrors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voyager said:

These "immunity level" figures don't make much sense to me, and, when figures like 282 are compared to 23, I just want to try to make a simple comparison, to find the answers I need.

The real questions I want to be answered are:

(1) what is the effectiveness of 2 doses of Sinovac, versus 2 doses of Sinovac +1 Pfizer booster

compared to

(2)  2 doses of Pfizer and a mixed booster (guessing Moderna, but maybe Astra)

(a) against Delta and

(b) against Omicron

I think this would adequately illustrate how good or bad a vaccination of 2 doses of Sinovac alone really is.

BUT... What I think I'm seeing is smoke and mirrors.

They don't make much sense because they're PNRT tests and the article doesn't say that or explain what PNRT tests are, and unless you're at least a trained medic that won't mean much!

Your assessment, though, is pretty spot on - smoke and mirrors.

Realistically Pfizer or Moderna boosters are much the same - one's slightly better for some things, one for others, but there's very little in it overall according to all the tests so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

They don't make much sense because they're PNRT tests and the article doesn't say that or explain what PNRT tests are, and unless you're at least a trained medic that won't mean much!

Your assessment, though, is pretty spot on - smoke and mirrors.

Realistically Pfizer or Moderna boosters are much the same - one's slightly better for some things, one for others, but there's very little in it overall according to all the tests so far.

Exactly. Both as good as each other overall. Take whatever offered .
When getting my free govt Moderna Booster at Patong Hosp. Mid Dec. some entitled old farang was insisting on (unavailable) Pfizer …..went away passing up the Moderna……another armchair vax “expert” no doubt.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Transam said:

PS. just a note, second Sinopharm jab seemed to annoy my Chicken Pox, so had a bout of Shingles, not had that for 20+ years. Pfizer jab seemed to annoy Herpes Simplex (cold sores), usually get that if I have a chill/cold. So not too bad, at least no Covid, as a bloke that has not stayed behind closed doors...😋

That means your immune system weakened at least temporarily if you got shingles or herpes. That is what the critics have been warning about these vaccines, the drop for 2-4 weeks after the jabs. Awakening all kinds of nasty things, including also possibly cancers in remission.