Suicide mitigation measures to be stepped up (Bangkok post)

Vince

4 hours ago, Vince said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2246955/suicide-mitigation-measures-to-be-stepped-up

Looks like pandemic related harms are getting noticed. 

A step (or announcement of a step) in the right direction. 

Unrelated to the story but related to the topic here's a 4 question suicide screener 

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/research/research-conducted-at-nimh/asq-toolkit-materials/asq-tool/asq-screening-tool

10 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Government resignation might cheer the depressed up somewhat

Funny. You mean the Thai government? 

I believe there are elections coming up soon. If the pandemic eases up I think that will make things a wee bit easier. 

4 hours ago, Vince said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2246955/suicide-mitigation-measures-to-be-stepped-up

Looks like pandemic related harms are getting noticed. 

A step (or announcement of a step) in the right direction. 

Think this is all overplayed. No more of a suicidal rate than that of "normal" times. 

As it's been mentioned before, Covid has been conveniently used to be the blame and cause for most everything - and exaggerated. 

4 minutes ago, Vince said:

Funny. You mean the Thai government? 

I believe there are elections coming up soon. If the pandemic eases up I think that will make things a wee bit easier. 

Easier for who?

1 minute ago, Rain said:

Think this is all overplayed. No more of a suicidal rate than that of "normal" times. 

As it's been mentioned before, Covid has been conveniently used to be the blame and cause for most everything - and exaggerated. 

You may be right, but suicide is an issue even at the best of times, COVID related or not. 

This pre-covid article said Thailand had a high rate for ASEAN nations, so you may be right it's nothing new:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30376025

2 years of Covid restrictions putting strain on people already dealing with fragile mental health HAS NOT helped....

My best friend of 40 years has been talking about it for months... he said he isn't sure this is a world he wants to live in anymore...

I don't feel that way... well maybe a little... but just because we don't understand exactly how people are feeling emotionally... it doesn't mean they aren't feeling a certain way.

All these condo jumpers and everyone asks about foul play... some people have had a rough life... they have spent the happiest time of their life in Thailand and don't want to return to the world of covid, restrictions, unfair taxes, wokeness and whatever the world is turning into.

I am a paramedic and I have seen people lives unnaturally extended far beyond them having any enjoyment out of life or even the ability to walk, eat, or use the toilet without assistance or medical devices. When I hear about a 60-70 year old who jumps out of a window in Pattaya... I kinda get it... he had a good run, he cashed in his chips. Probably because everything after leaving thailand would be a huge disappointment.

I am not saying suicide isn't a problem. I hate for anyone to feel they have no other option... but I have revived a few serious suicide attempts and they were not happy to be back among the living.... I found them feeling no pain, and drifting into forever sleep... but my job required me to act... Not one was ever thankful or happy.... They were right where they wanted to be until I was forced to intervene ... think about that.

There is a side to ending ones life that nobody ever thinks about or wants to discuss... Some people dont want to end up in a nursing home on a feeding tube, or in a ventilator with stage 4 lung cancer. They want a quick painless end that they are in control of... just in case you have never thought about why some "sane" people might do such a thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Old friend 94 years in a nursing home, physically arthritis had done terrible things to her.  Her biggest fear in her last years of life was waking up in the morning, knowing she had another day of suffering ahead.

At 92 she tried to OD and they locked her up for her own good?????  Asked her doctor why she was not given a heavier dose of pain killers, doctor was worried her internal organs could not handle it because of her age. 

At 96 that same doctor erred and gave her a double dose of the flu shot, respiratory problems followed and ended her pain.

Most religions and beliefs talk about a better 'after life' but the world seems hell bent on making sure you don't get there early.

9 hours ago, Danbrooks2k said:

2 years of Covid restrictions putting strain on people already dealing with fragile mental health HAS NOT helped....

My best friend of 40 years has been talking about it for months... he said he isn't sure this is a world he wants to live in anymore...

I don't feel that way... well maybe a little... but just because we don't understand exactly how people are feeling emotionally... it doesn't mean they aren't feeling a certain way.

All these condo jumpers and everyone asks about foul play... some people have had a rough life... they have spent the happiest time of their life in Thailand and don't want to return to the world of covid, restrictions, unfair taxes, wokeness and whatever the world is turning into.

I am a paramedic and I have seen people lives unnaturally extended far beyond them having any enjoyment out of life or even the ability to walk, eat, or use the toilet without assistance or medical devices. When I hear about a 60-70 year old who jumps out of a window in Pattaya... I kinda get it... he had a good run, he cashed in his chips. Probably because everything after leaving thailand would be a huge disappointment.

I am not saying suicide isn't a problem. I hate for anyone to feel they have no other option... but I have revived a few serious suicide attempts and they were not happy to be back among the living.... I found them feeling no pain, and drifting into forever sleep... but my job required me to act... Not one was ever thankful or happy.... They were right where they wanted to be until I was forced to intervene ... think about that.

There is a side to ending ones life that nobody ever thinks about or wants to discuss... Some people dont want to end up in a nursing home on a feeding tube, or in a ventilator with stage 4 lung cancer. They want a quick painless end that they are in control of... just in case you have never thought about why some "sane" people might do such a thing.

I think if a 60-70yr old feels there is no life after Thailand

They likely made some bad decisions 

I've seen it often, guys get addicted to Thailand and burn bridges, don't follow up and keep up relationships back home

I've met so many expats who brag they haven't been back to their country in 10-20yrs

To me that's sad.

It's like they have to shun their home rk justify their choice to live in Thailand 

It would be healthier if you had relationships in both places

As for suicide

I firmly believe in assisted suicide 

We foolishly let people suffer for no reason

And usually, that's what we think about the person for the rest of their lives

When they were sick, nor the 40-50-60yrs they lived before getting sick 

We treat dogs with more dignity (not unwarranted!)

On 1/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, Danbrooks2k said:

Euthanasia or Assisted suicide is worth discussing. In Thailand, a deeply Buddhist country, not sure it would go over. 

There's a difference in someone who is lonely in their 50s going through a tough spell and someone in their 70s with terminal illness, agreed.

The accidental slip and fall is plausibly the case for some, but doesn't seem likely to explain all or most "Pattaya flying club" members. 

Depression self help, basic financial planning, and alcohol and other drug counseling services might be useful topics for expats to explore. 

22 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Maybe. Not a lot of time to fix it at that age. 

I've seen it often, guys get addicted to Thailand and burn bridges, don't follow up and keep up relationships back home

Isolation is a problem even without an ocean of distance. 

I've met so many expats who brag they haven't been back to their country in 10-20yrs

To me that's sad.

It's like they have to shun their home rk justify their choice to live in Thailand 

Agreed. 

As for suicide

"Assistance" depending on what kind, can be legally dodgy. 

Books are out there like "Final Exit" 

https://archive.org/details/finalexitpractica00hump

People can make their own choices, even unassisted. 

On 1/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, Rain said:

Giving any attention to the mental health and wellness of humans is never a bad thing, and can not be overrated. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:46 AM, Marc26 said:

It's sad and may speak to some other underlying (mental) issues with the person or their inability to maintain familial relationships. 

"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone" - Orson Welles

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:46 AM, Marc26 said:

To me that's sad.

As for suicide

Being comfortable with yourself and life circumstances is most important. The constant whiners and mourners probably need to visit home to get a check on reality. Those of us who are content see it as less important. The long airplane ride is a real pain, even when upgraded seating is available. I have a standing offer to my family for airfare if they want to visit us. 

Frankly my life here is far superior to what is available in the US. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Being comfortable with yourself and life circumstances is most important. The constant whiners and mourners probably need to visit home to get a check on reality. Those of us who are content see it as less important. The long airplane ride is a real pain, even when upgraded seating is available. I have a standing offer to my family for airfare if they want to visit us. 

Agreed 

47 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Giving any attention to the mental health and wellness of humans is never a bad thing, and can not be overrated. 

I agree

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I don't think it's a question of which is superior 

You chose to live in Thailand for your reasons

I'm not really comparing home and Thailand 

I just think you can have both 

But I also understand some people left bad circumstances 

I haven't lived full time in Boston for 30 years now

Not including the pandemic 

The longest I've ever gone without being home is 8 months I think

I just think you can have a healthy life in both places