Retirement Living

DocCody

It seems to me that Thailand is missing out on a huge opportunity to provide for a more permanent retirement market that can be a game changer for the economy. With  a massive global retiree market waiting for more secure retirement options, I would have thought the Thai Government would have provided much more security for expats to purchase "retiree real estate" across the country and especially in regional areas where any investment and local expenditure would be welcome. Fears of foreigners buying up the contry could easily be ameliorated by strict controls on retirees owning property which could only be sold to other retirees or Thai citizens. This would remcve the "speculator" issue that most Asian countries fear. Have such conceptys been discussed with agencies such as the BOI?

• Like 1

I would be happy with a more inclusive Permanent Residence Immigrant VISA. I happen to agree with not selling land to foreigners. I grew up one hour from San Francisco, California and everyone around the world has bought up the place, indigenous people can no longer afford to live there. And it is becoming a $Nit hole because of it. I could see foreigner containment zones... housing islands called gated communities for foreigners who like that kind of living, but I wouldn't support a general policy on foreigners buying up Thailand. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 2

i think thai govt been preoccupied with covid so i think they will develop new ideas for foreigners to stay in the future. i am sure they are looking at other counteies to see how they can compete. the 300b inbound tax was a bit short sighted and bad timing. lets all keep optimistic.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, DocCody said:

It seems to me that Thailand is missing out on a huge opportunity to provide for a more permanent retirement market that can be a game changer for the economy. With  a massive global retiree market waiting for more secure retirement options, I would have thought the Thai Government would have provided much more security for expats to purchase "retiree real estate" across the country and especially in regional areas where any investment and local expenditure would be welcome. Fears of foreigners buying up the contry could easily be ameliorated by strict controls on retirees owning property which could only be sold to other retirees or Thai citizens. This would remcve the "speculator" issue that most Asian countries fear. Have such conceptys been discussed with agencies such as the BOI?

A recent article suggests 1 Rai of land may be available soon. 

A great start! 

On 1/17/2022 at 7:37 AM, Freeduhdumb said:

I would be happy with a more inclusive Permanent Residence Immigrant VISA. I happen to agree with not selling land to foreigners. I grew up one hour from San Francisco, California and everyone around the world has bought up the place, indigenous people can no longer afford to live there. And it is becoming a $Nit hole because of it. I could see foreigner containment zones... housing islands called gated communities for foreigners who like that kind of living, but I wouldn't support a general policy on foreigners buying up Thailand. 

Real estate speculation is the problem, not foreign real estate speculation. 

The same problem can and does happen when rich people in the same country hoover up  the land. 

Foreign speculation makes it easier to happen. 

On 1/17/2022 at 10:37 PM, Freeduhdumb said:

I'm with you. I lived two hours from San Francisco and both my parents were natives. Now I  only go to SF to the airport to leave. 

Our daughter lives on the central coast and my son moved to Texas.

SF is like a place full of weirdos and illegal immigrants.  It's not a safe place anymore.

• Like 1