Jump to content

News Forum - Senior Thai doctor says Covid-19 could lead to long term side effects


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Vince said:
19 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I don't think Delta was a weaker form ... 😕

I never said it was. 

Well ...

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Early on it was noted that viruses mutate into weaker forms. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Stonker said:

Well ...

Yep, that's what I said. 

This was from two years ago, and ... Omicron is weaker. 

You are suggesting that that means absolutely every mutation must be weaker to eventually evolve into a weaker form? 

I never said or implied that. Eventual weakening doesn't require it as far I can tell. 

Mutations could be equally virulent - or even more virulent! - and eventually weaker forms will "win". That's the theory anyway. Did you read the link?

Weird, eh? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vince said:

Yep, that's what I said. 

This was from two years ago, and ... Omicron is weaker. 

You are suggesting that that means absolutely every mutation must be weaker to eventually evolve into a weaker form? 

I never said or implied that. Eventual weakening doesn't require it as far I can tell. 

Mutations could be equally virulent - or even more virulent! - and eventually weaker forms will "win". That's the theory anyway. Did you read the link?

Weird, eh? 

No, what I'm suggesting is that there's no reason to suppose Omicron is the final form any more than Delta was, or that the next will be weaker - a lot of people have pinned their hopes on it, but as yet there's no evidence for it.

The link's nothing new, and it's one line of thought with lots of evidence for and against. In broad terms, one school of thought is that viruses all become weaker or we'd all be dead, another is that we develop immunity to them over time or we'd all be dead. A third, which I tend to agree with, is that it's a bit of both - Darwin's survival of the fittest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, what I'm suggesting is that there's no reason to suppose Omicron is the final form any more than Delta was, or that the next will be weaker - a lot of people have pinned their hopes on it, but as yet there's no evidence for it.

The link's nothing new, and it's one line of thought with lots of evidence for and against. In broad terms, one school of thought is that viruses all become weaker or we'd all be dead, another is that we develop immunity to them over time or we'd all be dead. A third, which I tend to agree with, is that it's a bit of both - Darwin's survival of the fittest.

I am not a fortune teller and Omicron is not a "final form", agreed. 

Delta was not weaker than earlier, agreed and the principles of evolution - what little I understand - do not guarantee any further evolved variant will be weaker, agreed. 

The general evolution of viral strength, linked in the Wikipedia article (and argued against by some I believe) suggests it will weaken over time.

I don't think it predicts the relative strength of any single particular variant, but I don't know, maybe it does?

The future is unknown, and a new super-strong novel COVID variant could arise. Who knows? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Vince said:

I am not a fortune teller and Omicron is not a "final form", agreed. 

Delta was not weaker than earlier, agreed and the principles of evolution - what little I understand - do not guarantee any further evolved variant will be weaker, agreed. 

The general evolution of viral strength, linked in the Wikipedia article (and argued against by some I believe) suggests it will weaken over time.

I don't think it predicts the relative strength of any single particular variant, but I don't know, maybe it does?

The future is unknown, and a new super-strong novel COVID variant could arise. Who knows? 

Sounds to me you and @Stonkerare agreeing but using different words. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Sounds to me you and @Stonkerare agreeing but using different words. 

It's indeed possible @JamesR that in some weird way me and @Stonkeragree. 

I think he's trying to hedge his downside bets on any future improvement. He may be right, overall, but I think that's no way to live. The future is bright, 😎

Soon even @Stonkerwill be so happy he won't believe it.

And will he DM me and say "Vince, you were right! Things are great!" ?

No, he won't. But that's ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vince said:

It's indeed possible @JamesR that in some weird way me and @Stonkeragree. 

I think he's trying to hedge his downside bets on any future improvement. He may be right, overall, but I think that's no way to live. The future is bright, 😎

Soon even @Stonkerwill be so happy he won't believe it.

And will he DM me and say "Vince, you were right! Things are great!" ?

No, he won't. But that's ok. 

I don’t watch East Enders or any other soap opera series but this seems like an episode I can imagine 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Vince said:

It's indeed possible @JamesR that in some weird way me and @Stonkeragree. 

I think he's trying to hedge his downside bets on any future improvement. He may be right, overall, but I think that's no way to live. The future is bright, 😎

Soon even @Stonkerwill be so happy he won't believe it.

And will he DM me and say "Vince, you were right! Things are great!" ?

No, he won't. But that's ok. 

I'm happy already 😃.

Things are already great 😄.

The present is bright 😇.

The Covid restrictions have made virtually no difference to me at all, or to anyone else around me apart from the schools which is a real issue for many.

I've got nothing on a 'bucket list' I haven't done, there's nowhere else I want to go or to be, and no-one else I want to be with.

What we don't need, though, are people to make things worse, which some seem intent on doing 😂!

  • Like 2
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Transam said:

Well, it certainly is a long term side effect for yet another who didn't take things seriously, probably been reading CCC ...🥴

 https://uk.yahoo.com/news/hana-horka-czech-singer-dies-172753070.html

Jeez ... if she hadn't died I'd say that was one of the funniest things I've read for a long time ... OK, I'll be honest - that's one of the funniest things I've read for a long time 😂!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, Thaiger said:

A Covid-19 infection could cause long-term side effects in people after they have recovered

I wonder if he studied if cancer, pneumonia, malaria, TB, dengue fever etc had any lasting side effects after recovery.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 13

      News Forum - Anutin says suspected monkeypox cases in Thailand are actually herpes

    2. 15

      News Forum - Thailand’s nightlife can officially open from Wednesday but this will be too late for many businesses

    3. 70

      Great Covers

    4. 175

      News Forum - Teenage gunman goes on rampage killing 19 children and 2 adults at a Texas primary school

    5. 70

      Great Covers

  • New Topics

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use