News Forum - Thailand’s Health Ministry to propose reopening Test & Go registration

Thaiger

The Public Health Ministry plans to make a proposal to reopen registration for the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told Thai media today of his plan to make the proposal to the CCSA for this week’s meeting. The proposal needs approval from Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration before travellers can register for the entry program again. The next CCSA general meeting, which is chaired by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, is scheduled for Thursday. Registration for entry under the Test & Go scheme was closed following the first local transmission of the Omicron variant in Thailand, […]

The story Thailand’s Health Ministry to propose reopening Test & Go registration as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Cool 1

18 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Public Health Ministry plans to make a proposal to reopen registration for the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told Thai media today of his plan to make the proposal to the CCSA for this week’s meeting. The proposal needs approval from Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration before travellers can register for the entry program again. The next CCSA general meeting, which is chaired by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, is scheduled for Thursday. Registration for entry under the Test & Go scheme was closed following the first local transmission of the Omicron variant in Thailand, […]

The story Thailand’s Health Ministry to propose reopening Test & Go registration as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

backflip GIF by Forever In Your Mind

Our wannabe next PM has a very athletic mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, probably this would help a few businesses and eventually more tourists are going to visit Thailand. I just believe the numbers aren't going to explode since lots of confidence has gone down the river for changing rules on an almost weekly basis. People need to pay for flights, accomodiation, submit days off etc and need to rely on rules which are not changed so many times. Secondly, high season will be coming to an end pretty soon. Don't think that many tourists are looking to undergo 3 PCR Tests, with a fairly high risk of getting quarantined, in order to enjoy some beautiful monsun rains, flooded streets and possibly closed bars/restaurants. Guess TH has lost lots of confidence and hopefully tourists will return at some point in large numbers to stabilize the economy. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

It won't make much difference, even if T&G is reinstated. Once Omicron takes hold and Infections climb exponentially, they will close it again. I'm just hoping the sandboxes can remain.

• Like 4

It is a step into the right direction but as long as a Thai pass Covid insurance PCR test on arrival plus some other restrictions is riquired it is much too risky to fly to Thailand for a 2 to 2 weeks vacation (and this is what most tourists do). Me and my friends won't come back unti all this is gone. 

• Like 3

Good news if it happens, but they should ban all alcohol sales to foreigners if they do. 

That will stop the virus in its tracks and deter the lowso from coming.

Thailand must get more high quality tourists like me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Good news if it happens, but they should ban all alcohol sales to foreigners if they do. 

That will stop the virus in its tracks and deter the lowso from coming.

Thailand must get more high quality tourists like me. 

Pompous idiot. If there is a ban on alcohol of course it must be for everybody, including "quality toursts" like you, LOL and of course Thai. The wee issue is there will be no more tourists so there is little reason reintroduce T&G.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beaconofdarkness said:

Pompous idiot. If there is a ban on alcohol of course it must be for everybody, including "quality toursts" like you, LOL and of course Thai. The wee issue is there will be no more tourists so there is little reason reintroduce T&G.

Jeez. I'm guessing that on dating sites when the ladies mention GSOH, you skip that profile.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jason said:

It won't make much difference, even if T&G is reinstated. Once Omicron takes hold and Infections climb exponentially, they will close it again. I'm just hoping the sandboxes can remain.

Exactly, that will happen next and they (Thai government) have been flip flopping around numerous times. Also, will find out Thursday if they cut down on quarantine from 10 to 7days for false positive asymptomatic or mild symptoms.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Unfortunately, I would have to agree   the knee jerk reaction nature of this gov this predictable

I’m just waiting for the sandbox approval for my return for next month and of course all my bookings except my flights are non-refundable if they did re introduce the T&G

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hans007 said:

Well, probably this would help a few businesses and eventually more tourists are going to visit Thailand. I just believe the numbers aren't going to explode since lots of confidence has gone down the river for changing rules on an almost weekly basis. People need to pay for flights, accomodiation, submit days off etc and need to rely on rules which are not changed so many times. Secondly, high season will be coming to an end pretty soon. Don't think that many tourists are looking to undergo 3 PCR Tests, with a fairly high risk of getting quarantined, in order to enjoy some beautiful monsun rains, flooded streets and possibly closed bars/restaurants. Guess TH has lost lots of confidence and hopefully tourists will return at some point in large numbers to stabilize the economy. 

I sense your frustration, but there are really two scenarios here. TH can do nothing we face all the consequences that will bring, or they can (over)react to events and ruin people's holiday plans.

If you want to see what the first plan does, look at the UK. Once they hit 2000 cases of Omicron, one week later, they hit 10k, and the week after that 100k. Currently 5% of the UK are infected. Compare that with TH who hit 2k cases of Omicron nearly two weeks ago, and are still under 10k cases with 0.12% of the population currently infected.

I am sure that there will be those who will be telling me, that we can't trust the accuracy of the TH figures, but with a population similar to the UK, the TH gov due to incompetence or downright dishonesty would have to have the figures wrong by 98%. I am currently in Phuket where I reported last week having a meal in an Italian restaurant while watching a steady queue receiving ATK tests at a pop-up centre a few yards away. I was back there last night, and saw about a dozen people tested in the space of the hour it took me to eat my meal.

A week ago, the figures were about 7k cases a day and following the initial panic about Omicron, the figures have stayed in that region. My take on it has been that TH has done a pretty good job in protecting it's people, which is the first job of a gov. In between, some of us have had holiday plans ruined, and I can sympathise. I am sure that there are many of us who believe we could manage things better than TH has, but we are probably deluding ourselves about that.

It seems to me that the biggest criticism is the "flip-flopping", but then again, so does CV. I don't hear anyone criticising the virus when it changes plans. Should the gov stick with it's plan when the virus changes?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hans007 said:

I think the goal is have a smaller number of tourists. 

Volume tourism has a high impact - traffic, pollution, trash, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Vince said:

I think the goal is have a smaller number of tourists. 

Volume tourism has a high impact - traffic, pollution, trash, etc. 

The real goal is to rake in as much trickle up money as they can....

The policies [any policy] are based on this premise. 

1 minute ago, Rain said:

The real goal is to rake in as much trickle up money as they can....

The policies [any policy] are based on this premise. 

kam khi di kwa kam tot (better to grab poop than a fart) 

I think the short term is to get some poop :-) 

• Haha 1

@Thaiger: Lately, I see more and more articles on this platform which are quite hard to read, because they are written in a single "spaghetti" parapgraph. Is something wrong with your editing or publishing system, or is this intentional?

I also noticed the same article with two different URLs:

Edited by kriegaex
Add more info and links
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, kriegaex said:

@Thaiger: Lately, I see more and more articles on this platform which are quite hard to read, because they are written in a single "spaghetti" parapgraph. Is something wrong with your editing or publishing system, or is this intentional?

I also noticed the same article with two different URLs:

Hi @kriegaex,

Have passed on your observations to the Thaiger Management. It looks like at least 2 of the video editions of the stories have a text copy attached rather than a summary used in other videos on the thaiger.com home page. No idea if it is intended that way by them as we have no involvement in that.

So, I have sent them a copy of your post and some additional comments from my own observations. I'll let you know if they reply to it.

In the future, may I offer that it is best to post such observations under a new topic on the Support Forum channel as such matters can get picked up earlier that way for you. A post on a thread about a different topic can simply be missed amongst the volume of posts.

Thanks again for passing on the observations.

Smithydog (Moderator)

On 1/17/2022 at 8:57 PM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Kneehow!

Evan as they tend to be zero dollar tourists its clear the thais are jealous of the big money-big face chinese

Money #1 in LOS and its all about image and status which the chinese openly and foolishly flaunt here..

They should never have suspended it.  People need to make travel plans in advance.  How can anyone trust them with all this flip flopping.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

They should never have suspended it.  People need to make travel plans in advance.  How can anyone trust them with all this flip flopping.

Exactly. And any pointed logic that they're not getting.