Jump to content

News Forum - Tourists unsure about new 300-baht fee, question how money will be spent


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

It is not so much about the cash sum.

For tourists (do they even still exist?) it's more about the feeling that the Thai government are money grabbing piss takers.

Before I had any particular connection to this country this, and other factors, would make me think no I will go somewhere else where I am more welcome.

In general terms I have held that opinion about most governments in general. While we all in general may have have objections based on perceptions the test is in persistence of presence in any expat locale. In reality  same applies to perceptions of origin if becoming "expat" is a tenable  alternative. No?

  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont care if they spent it on airplanes or what ever but how you run a business put all the profit in your pocket then tell others to pay for your attraction development its the logic the toilets must be there already like everything put it on somebody else we are poor you have to pay charge a  1000   Or 3000 i dont care but not come with a stupid thai story its just tax had nothing to do with tourism   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I don't have much of a say on how fees and taxes are used in my home country. Given that it is less than $10 USD, I am going to reserve "concern" over things that I can control. 

Name one tax /fee that was implemented by any country which the tax/fee was kept at the original amount.   300 baht to start, then when the money is squandered it will need to be raised to 500 baht "to cover expenses."  Then 1000 baht with some new "features".......  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was planning to travel to Thailand and found good deals on airfare, but what has changes my mind is all the little extras. The tourist fee is just an added nuisance. The big extra cost to me is the insurance requirement. I have a very good health insurance policy from the U.S. that covers me internationally. It covers COVID, but not if I am forced to quarantine and asymptomatic. I understand this is a problem with most insurance companies in the west, and so Thailand wants me to buy coverage through an approved company.

In looking at the policies from approved companies, I would have to pay almost as much for the insurance as my flight would cost. The approved policies offer good coverage, but I already have coverage. That means I would have to pay big dollars for a second policy I don't need except if I test positive for COVID, I am asymptomatic and quarantined. 

Instead of selling me gap coverage, I must buy the entire policy.

So, goodbye Thailand. I was very interested in visiting you except for all the additional costs you impose.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you go to a supermarket one doesn't expect having to pay an entrance fee because your shopping there and the profit made is the business model. If that was to be introduced I think that other supermarkets would gladly welcome the clients that got put off having to pay the fee for the pleasure of spending their money there. It might sound a bit simplified, but it does reflect quite well the situation. Thailand is not special in comparison with other destinations. Prices are no longer low and the bureaucratic hurdles, double pricing and general resentment towards foreigners really don't help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We all know it's a scam/ tea money. 

If attractions have been popular in previous years, then they should have invested in amenities already, if they don't have toilets now, why would having them now,  make the attraction more appealing?

As for the low flying pig called insurance for tourists, all I can say about that is good luck if you need to use it, as the most fluent English  speaking Thai will suddenly not understand what you are talking about.

It will happen, it will not change, except to go up over time.

Pay up, shut up, drink up and enjoy or don't go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tax the tourists absolutely... but please don't start adding additional taxes to the citizens. To me, this is one of wonderful things that sets Thailand apart from the Western World. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Vince said:

And this proves what? 

Actually it proves nothing, just that as soon as they realised it was a foreigner paying, the price doubled.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, palooka said:

Actually it proves nothing, just that as soon as they realised it was a foreigner paying, the price doubled.

Really? 

I paid for my hotel in Hanoi using Expedia. On checking out, I asked for a discount and paid cash for a lower rate (for another night).  I was a foreigner in both cases. 

Maybe the credit card rate is simply the "asking price". 

Your 'experiment' has too many variables for a strong conclusion. 

 

 

Edited by Vince
Clarification!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rain said:

Or....another option might be to overthink most everything. 

I approve this message 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vince said:

Really? 

I paid for my hotel in Hanoi using Expedia. On checking out, I asked for a discount and paid cash for a lower rate (for another night).  

So you paid overs for the initial booking then.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, halfadime said:

I was planning to travel to Thailand and found good deals on airfare, but what has changes my mind is all the little extras. The tourist fee is just an added nuisance. The big extra cost to me is the insurance requirement. I have a very good health insurance policy from the U.S. that covers me internationally. It covers COVID, but not if I am forced to quarantine and asymptomatic. I understand this is a problem with most insurance companies in the west, and so Thailand wants me to buy coverage through an approved company.

In looking at the policies from approved companies, I would have to pay almost as much for the insurance as my flight would cost. The approved policies offer good coverage, but I already have coverage. That means I would have to pay big dollars for a second policy I don't need except if I test positive for COVID, I am asymptomatic and quarantined. 

Instead of selling me gap coverage, I must buy the entire policy.

So, goodbye Thailand. I was very interested in visiting you except for all the additional costs you impose.

Interesting. I think unpredictability is driving away the targeted "quality tourists" - hopefully we'll have a predictable experience soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, palooka said:

So you paid overs for the initial booking then.

 

If I'd booked again through Expedia it would have been the "credit card" rate. 

"Knowing" I was a foreigner, in person, got me a better rate. 

Are you trying to argue there is some racist double pricing policy against foreigners using credit cards? 

Because I don't think so. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Donald said:

If you go to a supermarket one doesn't expect having to pay an entrance fee because your shopping there and the profit made is the business model. If that was to be introduced I think that other supermarkets would gladly welcome the clients that got put off having to pay the fee for the pleasure of spending their money there. It might sound a bit simplified, but it does reflect quite well the situation. Thailand is not special in comparison with other destinations. Prices are no longer low and the bureaucratic hurdles, double pricing and general resentment towards foreigners really don't help.

Costco - a US supermarket -  has a member fee $60USD. So, "you're wrong"? 

Thailand is special. 

There is no double pricing that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world in some form. That is a myth. 

There is no generalized foreigner resentment (more than would be expected given a 2 year global pandemic and every one is crazy with cabin fever).

And most countries have some bureaucratic hurdles* due to the COVID. These are being changed and adjusted. (* Except mexico apparently).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really?  This is even a worthwhile topic?  We're talking $9 US here folks, which is probably way less than the fees you paid to travel through whichever airport(s) you used to get here.   You have no say in how that money is spent...and I doubt any legitimate news service even bothered to ask you about it...but you're questioning  what Thailand is going to do with the money?  Tell me something...if Thailand isn't worth nine lousy dollars to visit why are you even here?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, thaicm said:

Really?  This is even a worthwhile topic?  We're talking $9 US here folks, which is probably way less than the fees you paid to travel through whichever airport(s) you used to get here.   You have no say in how that money is spent...and I doubt any legitimate news service even bothered to ask you about it...but you're questioning  what Thailand is going to do with the money?  Tell me something...if Thailand isn't worth nine lousy dollars to visit why are you even here?

Odd, ain't it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vince said:

If I'd booked again through Expedia it would have been the "credit card" rate. 

"Knowing" I was a foreigner, in person, got me a better rate. 

Are you trying to argue there is some racist double pricing policy against foreigners using credit cards? 

Because I don't think so. 

I'm not argueing anything I made a statement about discrepancies of pricing which you confirmed by your own statements as experienced by youself, you seem to want to take umbrage with it then OK up to you.

"knowing" you were a foreigner probably had zero to do with the scenario of paying, more like cash, which disappeared into someones pocket.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, palooka said:

I'm not argueing anything I made a statement about discrepancies of pricing which you confirmed by your own statements as experienced by youself, you seem to want to take umbrage with it then OK up to you.

"knowing" you were a foreigner probably had zero to do with the scenario of paying, more like cash, which disappeared into someones pocket.

I confirmed that prices change based on negotiations. That's called haggling. 

Are you a haggler? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

⁰I think how Thailand spends their 300 baht tax is absurd.  If someone is such a tight wad to object they shouldn't come. Thailand has already said it's looking for high end quality tourist so losing on the extreme low end is actually good. I'd be happy to pay alot more, and get quality. Thailand already offers great tourist sites, a very friendly population, great health care, etc. These things are never free.

The cheap Charlies need to find somewhere else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

⁰I think how Thailand spends their 300 baht tax is absurd.  If someone is such a tight wad to object they shouldn't come. Thailand has already said it's looking for high end quality tourist so losing on the extreme low end is actually good. I'd be happy to pay alot more, and get quality. Thailand already offers great tourist sites, a very friendly population, great health care, etc. These things are never free.

The cheap Charlies need to find somewhere else.

No, I dont agree. Its not all cheapo's its the incessant moaners. They may co-incide and be moaners too, as well as cheapo's, but some people want everything cheapest and it must be now. They are the insufferables.

There's about 20 of them on here. All on ignore. 😉

  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Vince said:

Costco - a US supermarket -  has a member fee $60USD. So, "you're wrong"? 

Thailand is special. 

There is no double pricing that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world in some form. That is a myth. 

There is no generalized foreigner resentment (more than would be expected given a 2 year global pandemic and every one is crazy with cabin fever).

And most countries have some bureaucratic hurdles* due to the COVID. These are being changed and adjusted. (* Except mexico apparently).

Well I wasn't going to react, but I decided otherwise. I have made the experience that a lot of commentators here are more Papal then the Pope when it comes to defending their host country. I think they are collectively known as the Thai apologists. In it's own I think that is quite laudable. It should not however make one blind as to the reality of things. My example in my previous comment was obviously meant as a metaphor. To come to your points. That foreigners will experience having to pay higher prices as the locals for goods and services is indeed a practice found more or less everywhere in the world. Not nice but the way things are. Thailand however is the only country that actually does this with government approval. Of course I am referring to the entrance fees to visit park and other sites. That officially tourists are expected to pay a higher price is one thing, but foreigners that are long term residents are equally expected to fork out more. In all the countries I have traveled legal residents are treated equally to locals when dealing with the authorities and with regard to fees and other expenses. And I stick to my statement that here is a general resentment against foreigners. Maybe not so much by the local people, but by those representing the state apparatus. And when I was talking about bureaucratic hurdles I wasn't so much referring to the Covid related requirements, but more the constant harassment with regard to registration like TM 30 or the 90 day police reporting. This doesn't of course affect the average tourist on a 30 day entry stamp, but it does the Thousands of expats that contribute a lot to the economy of the kingdom.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Donald said:

Well I wasn't going to react, but I decided otherwise. I have made the experience that a lot of commentators here are more Papal then the Pope when it comes to defending their host country. I think they are collectively known as the Thai apologists. In it's own I think that is quite laudable. It should not however make one blind as to the reality of things. My example in my previous comment was obviously meant as a metaphor. To come to your points. That foreigners will experience having to pay higher prices as the locals for goods and services is indeed a practice found more or less everywhere in the world. Not nice but the way things are. Thailand however is the only country that actually does this with government approval. Of course I am referring to the entrance fees to visit park and other sites. That officially tourists are expected to pay a higher price is one thing, but foreigners that are long term residents are equally expected to fork out more. In all the countries I have traveled legal residents are treated equally to locals when dealing with the authorities and with regard to fees and other expenses. And I stick to my statement that here is a general resentment against foreigners. Maybe not so much by the local people, but by those representing the state apparatus. And when I was talking about bureaucratic hurdles I wasn't so much referring to the Covid related requirements, but more the constant harassment with regard to registration like TM 30 or the 90 day police reporting. This doesn't of course affect the average tourist on a 30 day entry stamp, but it does the Thousands of expats that contribute a lot to the economy of the kingdom.

Donald, 

I appreciate your reply. 

We agree tourists get "robbed" - I live in a tourist town (not in Thailand) and I get robbed as a local :-(  So I pay taxes AND pay THB180 for a cup of decent coffee. 

Dual pricing is everywhere, even with government approval. There is a lovely botanical garden in my town - as a local it's 'free' to me (for taxes of course). For tourists it's not. That's government approved dual pricing is it not? And it's not in Thailand. 

That long term expats are treated as "tourists" and not "locals" for pricing is unfortunate and unfair. That's Thailand's right to do so. And the burden on expats is not - as far as I can tell - significant in most cases. The damage is mostly emotional. Expats seem to dislike being reminded they aren't Thai. But, they aren't.

Police reporting/address registration is not "constant harassment", and it helps to improve police prosecution efforts of criminals. I'm sure there are efforts being made to digitize the process. 

Police registration happens in Japan and maybe even the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-police/who-needs-to-register

Thailand has had a lot of visitors. 

As for resentment against foreigners, you are dismissing all the smiles, friendly chatter, and otherwise friendly people in Thailand and summarizing the entire experience as "resentment"? 

Or you are saying "minus all the friendly people, some are resentful"? On balance. 

Or you are saying, 99% of people are friendly, but 1% - including some official statements - are not, and you want to complain about that? 

In my angry resentful country, in addition to paying the equivalent of THB180 for coffee, I get angry service from MY FELLOW country men and women. No smiles, no thank you. Nothing. 

So you can call me a "Thai apologist" but I'm not going to suggest Thailand is perfect - or any country - it has pollution, crime, corruption, education problems, suicides, 'resentment' against foreigners, tourist overpricing, short sighted policies, etc just like every other country. 

Cheers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use