Favorites/Recommendations for food vlogger?

Vince

I used to enjoy Mark Wien's Bangkok/Thailand food vlogs, but lately have discovered I enjoy Mint's "I Roam Alone" food/travel vlogs more.

Mint seems to ask questions, know more, and has better opinions on the food than Mark. Seeing her drop down into a circle of local women stuffing frogs and joining in is, I think, a perfect example of what she does and Mark can't. 

But during one of Mints (sponsored I think) vids she mentions a food (tour?) App called 'retty' and in it the tour guide does a fantastic job discussing the food - better than Mint :-) 

But Retty appears to be aimed at the Thai language / local market (all I could find was all in Thai) but that's what I am looking for - local foodies who have lots of great opinions, but maybe not the subs or view counts of Mark, Mint or other 'famous' vloggers. It doesn't have to be in English but subs or auto-translate is nice ;-) 

Any recommendations? 

Sonny Side's series are very entertaining > https://www.youtube.com/c/BestEverFoodReviewShow

His Thailand series were not very inspiring compared with Vietnam, where he was based at the time.

I highly recommend that series which covers Vn from top to bottom.  He introduces many colourful local characters and injects loads of humour.  Some good looking women to be seen too!

Sonny is a 'stage name' and due to covid lockdowns he returned to the US.  The current 'home' series has little appeal, food-wise, but it's entertaining.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Sonny Side's series are very entertaining > https://www.youtube.com/c/BestEverFoodReviewShow

His Thailand series were not very inspiring compared with Vietnam, where he was based at the time.

I highly recommend that series which covers Vn from top to bottom.  He introduces many colourful local characters and injects loads of humour.  Some good looking women to be seen too!

Sonny is a 'stage name' and due to covid lockdowns he returned to the US.  The current 'home' series has little appeal, food-wise, but it's entertaining.

Wow

I think you just gave me a bunch of new videos to watch 

Imagine having the foresight that these food bloggers had to start doing this and build up their following and making a living out of it?

Kudos to them, what a gig.

Although it's a lot more work than people realize 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I've seen some of his videos. He's pretty good, fun to watch. 

Seems like the COVID caused a lot of food vloggers to stay in one place. 

I'll look for his 'Nam videos :-) 

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Wow

I think you just gave me a bunch of new videos to watch 

Imagine having the foresight that these food bloggers had to start doing this and build up their following and making a living out of it?

Kudos to them, what a gig.

Although it's a lot more work than people realize 

Indeed. They sometimes go into the mechanics of it and, to summarize from memory, roughly 2 videos a week (which can take over 10 hrs each to produce) for up to 2 years before you even start to make any money is to be expected :-( 

That's a lot of dedication. And that's a huge amount of hours doing video production. 

56 minutes ago, Vince said:

Indeed. They sometimes go into the mechanics of it and, to summarize from memory, roughly 2 videos a week (which can take over 10 hrs each to produce) for up to 2 years before you even start to make any money is to be expected :-( 

That's a lot of dedication. And that's a huge amount of hours doing video production. 

He makes good money from it, deservedly so! 👍

• Like 1

Just now, KaptainRob said:

He makes good money from it, deservedly so! 👍

He went into his own operation in one video I saw. He also interviewed Mark Wiens about his story. 

Indeed, it's some hard graft :-) 

13 hours ago, Vince said:

And now the space is saturated 

But these guys that had the foresight to jump in early 

I envy them 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

And now the space is saturated 

But these guys that had the foresight to jump in early 

I envy them 

If you can learn to "shoot to edit" your video, and keep your post-production times down, getting two videos out per week should be do-able.

Keeping it up for two years with no rewards but your own labor is pretty tough. That's a pretty big barrier to entry. 

There is always room for new good content, though. 

7 minutes ago, Vince said:

If you can learn to "shoot to edit" your video, and keep your post-production times down, getting two videos out per week should be do-able.

Keeping it up for two years with no rewards but your own labor is pretty tough. That's a pretty big barrier to entry. 

There is always room for new good content, though. 

We have no clue about technology 

But I always think my wife would do well in the Thai girl space

She ticks all the boxes for a popular channel in that demographic, I think 

She likes fashion, clothes 

She is a great cook and loves to eat(but that's most Thai girls)

She travels in the west 

She lives in the west

But I'd have to teach myself how to do all that 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

We have no clue about technology 

But I always think my wife would do well in the Thai girl space

She ticks all the boxes for a popular channel in that demographic, I think 

She likes fashion, clothes 

She is a great cook and loves to eat(but that's most Thai girls)

She travels in the west 

She lives in the west

But I'd have to teach myself how to do all that 

Well, i think you could do it. 

Set yourself a goal of 2 vids per week (fully produced, uploaded for viewing). 

Focus on techniques to reduce the burden of editing ("shoot to edit"). Post production will kill you if you let it. 

I wouldn't worry too much about content at first. But always look for good ideas , and evolve as you go. 

Rinse-Lather-Repeat :-)