News Forum - Can you protest in Thailand as a foreigner?

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/kdrUICWzCTg Can a foreigner in Thailand go out on to the streets and protest and express his opinion? Will you get dragged away by the police and put into jail? Should you be protesting at all even though it might not have anything to do with you as a guest in the country? What are the things you can and can’t do? Tim sits down with Benjamin Hart from Integrity Legal to talk about foreigners protesting in Thailand.

The story Can you protest in Thailand as a foreigner? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

You can't protest as a member here, let alone as a foreigner in Thailand!! WHen I come to Thailand, I am a guest in a foreign country, so I respect their laws and customs. when in Rome....do as a Roman.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 2

What's the point? If you want sound like shrill old harpy, carry on. There's enough fields full of like minded bovines north of Udon Thani, dip your bread.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Poolie said:

What's the point? If you want sound like shrill old harpy, carry on. There's enough fields full of like minded bovines north of Udon Thani, dip your bread.

Geographically North of Udon Thani is Laos ( a chinese puppet) and then China.

"fields full of like minded bovines" I thought you had a soft spot for China. 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Just now, palooka said:

Geographically North of Udon Thani is Laos ( a chinese puppet) and then China.

"fields full of like minded bovines" I thought you had a soft spot for China. 

Yeah but I'm no good at Geography. There must be a few fields, Udon Thani isnt on the border is it?

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yeah but I'm no good at Geography. There must be a few fields, Udon Thani isnt on the border is it?

The reference to the historic term, Upper Siam, comes to mind. Colonized regions. 

Yet, the broader geopolitical reality reeks of Lao. 

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

OK a few fields before the border.😁

• Haha 2

In summary the lawyer says - 'not recommended'.   Why would anyone on a 'visitors' visa take part in any demonstration or protest - unless they are a unicorn loving progressive university student I guess.  If a protest group ever gets anywhere near you - walk away - quickly.  

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Why would anyone on a 'visitors' visa take part in any demonstration or protest - unless they are a unicorn loving progressive university student I guess.  If a protest group ever gets anywhere near you - walk away - quickly.

Nice to see clichees & prejudices are alive & well on here. 🥴

• Like 2

There was a universal protest that seemed appropriate to the “progressive  left “ in 2020 ! 
Some  activists progressive falangs  and Thais that supported the blm ,joined  in a online vigil protest !  Im glad that didn’t take shape here.

Personally Speaking I wouldn’t protest in Thailand !

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/thailand-activists-hold-online-black-lives-matter-protest

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Can a foreigner in Thailand go out on to the streets and protest and express his opinion?

The correct answer to this is Yes …………… Once

then they won’t be a foreigner anymore but a local in their own country!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Cool 1

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

There was a universal protest that seemed appropriate to the progressive  left in 2020 ! 
Some  activists progressive falangs  and Thais that supported the blm ,joined  in a online vigil protest !

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/thailand-activists-hold-online-black-lives-matter-protest

Un Be Liev Able ...........🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Un Be Liev Able ...........🤣

As a guest protesting the government is not wise. Protesting against something happening in Europe or America is just for show and akin to pissing into the wind IMO

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, riclag said:

There was a universal protest that seemed appropriate to the “progressive  left “ in 2020 ! 
Some  activists progressive falangs  and Thais that supported the blm ,joined  in a online vigil protest !  Im glad that didn’t take shape here.

Personally Speaking I wouldn’t protest in Thailand !

Damn troublemakers.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

You can't protest as a member here, let alone as a foreigner in Thailand!! WHen I come to Thailand, I am a guest in a foreign country, so I respect their laws and customs. when in Rome....do as a Roman

So when in rome do as a roman, exept when in thailand dont do as a thai. You muppet. Also we arent guest, we are paying customers. But i agree stay the f out of thai business

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Should you be protesting at all even though it might not have anything to do with you as a guest in the country?

clearly and obviously the answer is no, never, ever.   Keep out of it, its none of our business. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

You can't protest as a member here, let alone as a foreigner in Thailand!! WHen I come to Thailand, I am a guest in a foreign country, so I respect their laws and customs. when in Rome....do as a Roman.

Then why we treated like shit if we are guests???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

clearly and obviously the answer is no, never, ever.   Keep out of it, its none of our business. 

Unless there are deeper familial and community extensions.