News Forum - Nong Khai bridge the final step in China-Laos-Thailand Railway

Thaiger

In order to connect Thailand to the new China-Laos Railway, the State Railway of Thailand has received orders from the Cabinet to build a second bridge across the Mekong River, this on for trains to link Nong Khai province to Laos. The SRT was instructed to design and build the bridge as quickly as possible. A meeting was held at Government House on Thursday regarding the Thai-Lao-Chinese Railway plans, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, where they gave the rush order to the SRT to get going on the project right away. The meeting brought together many government bodies […]

The story Nong Khai bridge the final step in China-Laos-Thailand Railway as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 hours ago, Thaiger said:

By building a bridge across the Mekong River to connect the end of the Chinese-Lao Railway to Nong Khai and then the rest of Thailand, the full transnational rail plan would be completed.

On 22 December 2017:

THE government has set a new target to call for construction bids for the Bt179-billion, 252-kilometre Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima high-speed railway by the end of next year, according to Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittay-apaisith.

Arkhom said a total of 13 construction contracts for the Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima route would be open for bidding in 2018 so that construction could be completed and the system become operational in 2021.

source: https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30334497  

It's only a month overdue, so any day now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Cool 1

Thailand ...building pathways...for China.... hmmmm let me see If my memory serves me correctly.... Bangkok to Rangoon.... I have some vague recollection of another railway....

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thailand ...building pathways...for China.... hmmmm let me see If my memory serves me correctly.... Bangkok to Rangoon.... I have some vague recollection of another railway....

It's all about those whom have the most wealth and influence. 

18 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul,

Is there no end to this man's talents .. promoter of ganja , insulter of farang's and now builder of bridges .. let's hope he ain't toking on some herb before sorting this out .. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Is there no end to this man's talents .. promoter of ganja , insulter of farang's and now builder of bridges .. let's hope he ain't toking on some herb before sorting this out .. 

He's the bomb. Successful and brilliant club member.......and your next PM. 

9 hours ago, Convert54 said:

Hopefully the asap bridge will eventually have a railway line at each end?

That would involve some degree of forward planning - not a Thai speciality.

• Like 2

Ding dong should not be any where near any building or infrastructure contracts. Conflict of interests and his family business should be barred from competing, oh, I mean submitting a bid that they will more than likely win. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

China is a large market for Thai goods. If Thailand let's itself be a huge market for Chinese goods, wiping out local production and manufacturing (I.e. the United States), it could be something else. 

I recall reading that the new Laos-China rail was built using Chinese labor.  But one of the benefits of rail projects is to act as a stimulus for local jobs - so the money flows back into the community. 

If Thailand builds a high speed rail using Thai labor where possible, to promote the Thai economy, it's a definite win :-) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vince said:

China is a large market for Thai goods. If Thailand let's itself be a huge market for Chinese goods, wiping out local production and manufacturing (I.e. the United States), it could be something else. 

I recall reading that the new Laos-China rail was built using Chinese labor.  But one of the benefits of rail projects is to act as a stimulus for local jobs - so the money flows back into the community. 

If Thailand builds a high speed rail using Thai labor where possible, to promote the Thai economy, it's a definite win :-) 

In the end, could be very beneficial to the local Thai and Lao economies. 

15 minutes ago, Rain said:

In the end, could be very beneficial to the local Thai and Lao economies. 

If done right, yes. Or it could be a vacuum of Thai jobs being shipped to China and Laos. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Infrastructure is good for economy, better than those F35s

And civil infrastructure[less private], in particular, is societally beneficial.......even if it all has the attached and expected graft involved.

41 minutes ago, Vince said:

If done right, yes. Or it could be a vacuum of Thai jobs being shipped to China and Laos. 

IIRC the Chinese were pushing in the construction details for an agreement that Chinese labour would be used to oversee, or for a percentage of the construction in the Thailand railway.
I say 'were' because it's all gone quiet now. Or maybe the details have been suppressed?

If someone else has more accurate details, please post them.

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

IIRC the Chinese were pushing in the construction details for an agreement that Chinese labour would be used to oversee, or for a percentage of the construction in the Thailand railway.
I say 'were' because it's all gone quiet now. Or maybe the details have been suppressed?

If someone else has more accurate details, please post them.

Don't think the Thai Mafias would be agreeable to this.

48 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Infrastructure is good for economy, better than those F35s

If the a Chinese high speed rail project adds billions or trillions of baht debt to Thailand, is built with Chinese labor and trains, and allows China to import Chinese goods into Thailand easily and cheaply, you might not agree. 

Those f35s will look like a bag of mama noodles in comparison. 

Look at the Laos-China rail project carefully if you can. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vince said:

Also I can't imagine for a moment the money saved on shipping goods from China to Thailand resulting in cheaper goods. Faster to get them to market, yes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vince said:

If the a Chinese high speed rail project adds billions or trillions of baht debt to Thailand, is built with Chinese labor and trains, and allows China to import Chinese goods into Thailand easily and cheaply, you might not agree. 

Those f35s will look like a bag of mama noodles in comparison. 

Look at the Laos-China rail project carefully if you can. 

Are you suggesting it could have similar terms to the Chinese infrastructure projects built in some African and Indian countries?
When those countries fail to keep up repayments for the massive loan it allows the Chinese to take over ports and airports in some of these countries.
Again, if someone has more specific details please post them.

Just googling provided these links:
https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/china-to-take-over-kenyas-main-port-over-unpaid-huge-chinese-loan/  
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210930-india-counters-china-in-sri-lanka-with-700-million-port-deal 
https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2021/11/28/china-takes-over-ugandas-only-intl-airport-for-failing-to-repay-us207m-loan/ 
https://qz.com/1223768/china-debt-trap-these-eight-countries-are-in-danger-of-debt-overloads-from-chinas-belt-and-road-plans/ 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Are you suggesting it could have similar terms to the Chinese infrastructure projects built in some African and Indian countries?
When those countries fail to keep up repayments for the massive loan it allows the Chinese to take over ports and airports in some of these countries.

Just googling provided these links:
https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/china-to-take-over-kenyas-main-port-over-unpaid-huge-chinese-loan/  
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210930-india-counters-china-in-sri-lanka-with-700-million-port-deal 
https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2021/11/28/china-takes-over-ugandas-only-intl-airport-for-failing-to-repay-us207m-loan/ 
https://qz.com/1223768/china-debt-trap-these-eight-countries-are-in-danger-of-debt-overloads-from-chinas-belt-and-road-plans/ 

I doubt the second richest country in SE Asia would go for abusive terms like these other countries, or take such a massive risk as Laos has. 

I'm saying that unfair trade deals are more subtle and have their own harms. 

Thailand should be able to build its own railway, with Thai labor, with Japanese engineering maybe (?) And definitely without Chinese debt financing like Laos did. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vince said:

I doubt the second richest country in SE Asia would go for abusive terms like these other countries, or take such a massive risk as Laos has. 

I'm saying that unfair trade deals are more subtle and have their own harms. 

Thailand should be able to build its own railway, with Thai labor, with Japanese engineering maybe (?) And definitely without Chinese debt financing like Laos did. 

While you'd think that is logical, I can't see the agreement terms allowing foreign (Japanese) intervention from a Chinese point of view.
Also, allowing for those corrupt in the Thai government to accept a backhander in order to agree unfavourable terms.

As someone once said, "Never underestimate the stupidity of your customers."
Absolutely nothing to do with this subject of course. [end of sarcasm]

• Like 1

When those countries fail to keep up repayments for the massive loan it allows the Chinese to take over ports and airports in some of these countries.

China's high speed rail network is losing money hand over fist and I would hope Thailand finances it's own part of the project.  However, even if funding comes from Cn, Thailand has more than ample resources to fund repayments unlike many smaller under developed nations.

With the Mekong river under threat of becoming impassable due to Chinese dams as well as climate change, the railway could replace river transport of goods from China, clothing, fresh produce etc.  Most heavier and non perishables would still come by sea.

The biggest danger, IMO, is the ease with which Chinese can access Thailand from regional areas, cheap Charlie tourists and labourers, and create demand for Chinese funded housing and industry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

"Never underestimate the stupidity of your customers."

I have worked for a couple IT companies where the technical sales people were very good at estimating the stupidity of the customers, especially when it came to bidding for government contracts.

• Like 1