News Forum - Phuket Entertainment and Night life still booming | Thaiger Stories

Thaiger

19 minutes ago, Rain said:

Gated community?🥴

Really? 🤨

Yes, that is what they are called, what do you call a large group of houses in a private enclosure with electric gate(s) and security guards?

Do you call them fish and chip shops. 😆

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I know, I shouldn't do it really but I have been commenting a lot more than usual today as I am skiving off work for the day, I normally just write a comment now and then while waiting for my code to compile and have a minute or two break from programming.

It is so funny as a lot of people take themselves far too seriously, but it is a laugh for a minute or two.

Ah the old "I'm not goofing off, I'm waiting for my code to compile" excuse :-D 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Yes, that is what they are called, what do you call a large group of houses in a private enclosure with electric gate(s) and security guards?

Do you call them fish and chip shops. 😆

I would call them not very busy chippies, if so. 

Or well protected ones. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I would call them not very busy chippies, if so. 

Or well protected ones. 

A cod lives in the area too, the guards stop it from being battered. 😆

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Rain said:

^ Nonetheless, gated community sounds very social - 😘

The security guards are useful too in case I can't find my way back after a booze up. 

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It is lucky it is my company otherwise I would have been fired by now.😃

Well I hope you at least dock your own pay and give yourself a warning.

2 minutes ago, Vince said:

Well I hope you at least dock your own pay and give yourself a warning.

I will and then when the app is written and tested and it goes on the App Store I will give myself a bonus and maybe have a staff party, oops I forgot there is no staff.😃

If caught I could say it was a business meeting.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JamesR said:

Yes I agree re the attacking and for the reasons you mentioned.

There are good and bad aspects with every country in the world.

What annoys me slightly is they seem to think they know all about Thailand and what does annoy me is they say Thai women are all the same, they are after your money, they drink, they gamble, smoke etc.

They don't seem to realise most Thai women do not drink or smoke or gamble (unless it is 100 baht on a lottery ticket) , many have their own money due to work or business.

I then come to the conclusion they do not know Thailand at all, they stick to their little expat groups, they mix with only ex-bar girls and with friends with ex-bar girls, their biggest past time is hanging around bars and they see nothing of the real non-tourist Thailand, just because they have been doing it for decades they think it is true.

But I don't bother arguing with them as it is would be like arguing with an anti-vaxer, I just walk away smiling to myself.

Don't get me wrong, I like to have a beer at a bar but I limit it to one or two evenings a week as it is then still fun and there are a lot of good guys there too usually. 

I recognise quite a few of the "self-appointed" experts in your post, and generally they are nearly always sex-tourists. I am not knocking them for that as I am one myself, but one thing that is never lacking from their imparted "wisdom", is cynicism.

I can remember when that wisdom was raving about "Private Dancer", as the "bible" for living safely in TH. I read it. It wasn't a bad effort at writing, but what all those who were advocating for the lessons to be learned from this story never considered, was that the story and it's predictable ending, could have happened in any country. The real lesson was not "Don't fall in love with a cynical TH hooker", it was "Don't fall in love with a cynical hooker". But the "experts" entire interactions were always with working girls and tainted by their own cynicism. "Treat the rough and make them tough".

The real problem in listening to these people, is that they don't see that their own cynicism removes any objectivity that must be inherent so that their advice can be considered "good advice".

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I don't live in such  a place. There are non of that type where I'm at and I avoid going places I might encounter them.

Stop being so sanctimonious. It’s becoming boring. You can Google what that means. It will give you something to do. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Stop being so sanctimonious. It’s becoming boring. You can Google what that means. It will give you something to do. 

Not at all. I live in the north and sexpats are unheard of. The mainly occupy the coastal regions. It's a shame because I used to like to visit the beaches, but now I have to check if they've become a cesspool.  From your perch in the UK you can’t see much through the fog, I guess.

Like your fellow sexpats your only good at name calling and criticism. You know I don't appreciate what you have to say, so I will just put you on ignore and advise anyone else who's fed up with your garbage to do the same.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JamesR said:

So you agree with @Soidogand myself, we are talking about the professional whiners, we do see the good things as we are not the whiners.

"People need to be culturally adaptive to successfully live here.", you wrote.

I suppose that is true if a person lives in a tiny village in the backwaters in Isaan for example but I don't see the quality of life in doing that but there is not much adapting to do if say we live in Phuket, Hua Hin, CM etc.

Exactly. Way more adapting for me to return back “home”. Couldn’t do it.

Phuket is the perfect ready - made “shell” I have slid into. Simple & Safe Tropical Expat Lifestyle. Minimal Interest in things Thai really, only that necessary for smooth living. Not an admirable culture actually, barring care for elderly & adopted western practices like the 30 baht healthcare. 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, Rain said:

A myth that's repeated over and again

The 20% of GDP from tourism in 2018/2019 is not far off. However, to say Phuket is 100% dependent on tourism is hyperbolic.

16 hours ago, Vince said:

Are you sure it was omicron and not a bad plate of bangers and mash? :-) 

I thought it was dodgy food actually, haha, but the test said it was covid. I was as surprised as you are 🤣

• Cool 1

16 hours ago, JamesR said:

It will make no difference to any of us as we will never meet anyway but you can keep up the pretence of thinking you have some say in what goes on in Thailand. 

A lot of farangs are like that, I avoid them in person. 

Not at all. I'm only an observer and keep my thoughts to myself. Only an ungrateful guest would try to tell the host how to do things.

BTW I don't call myself an expat because they're English,  I call myself falang. 

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

The 20% of GDP from tourism in 2018/2019 is not far off. However, to say Phuket is 100% dependent on tourism is hyperbolic.

Phuket was doing fine before the tourist crowd moved in and forced decent folks to flee. Don't worry about them as they're very resilient. 

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Not at all. I'm only an observer and keep my thoughts to myself. Only an ungrateful guest would try to tell the host how to do things.

BTW I don't call myself an expat because they're English,  I call myself falang. 

I recall being in Phnom Penh in 2014 just after MH 370 disappeared, and talking with a Malay who was running a phone shop near the Russian Market. He talked about how when the Btits were running Malaysia, it was so much better run.

I asked him if he was sorry that the Brits were no longer in charge.  He replied "Not at all. Anyone with any pride would be annoyed at a complete stranger coming to your home and telling you how you are doing everything wrong, even if the stranger were right".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Not at all. I live in the north and sexpats are unheard of. The mainly occupy the coastal regions. It's a shame because I used to like to visit the beaches, but now I have to check if they've become a cesspool.  From your perch in the UK you can’t see much through the fog, I guess.

Like your fellow sexpats your only good at name calling and criticism. You know I don't appreciate what you have to say, so I will just put you on ignore and advise anyone else who's fed up with your garbage to do the same.

All these types are best avoided, Lung.

Within the fantasy forum existence as well as their perceived real life.

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Keep trying to ingratiate yourself with the locals Fred. You are wasting your time. Your neither an expat or a Falang. You are a long term tourist 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

😂😂😂. Pathetic excuse. I’m not in the UK Fred. Thanks for the reminder to ignore you. Good luck with advising others. From the feedback I see to your posts, it will be you and Poolie that ignore me. Thank god for that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

😂😂😂. Pathetic excuse. I’m not in the UK Fred. Thanks for the reminder to ignore you. Good luck with advising others. From the feedback I see to your posts, it will be you and Poolie that ignore me. Thank god for that 

😂

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Phuket was doing fine before the tourist crowd moved in and forced decent folks to flee. Don't worry about them as they're very resilient. 

".... and forced decent folks to flee".

I see the indecent folks have stayed on.😄

• Haha 1