News Forum - Covid-19 exposure quarantine may be reduced to 7 days

Thaiger

As officials reevaluate the Covid-19 restrictions piled on with the outbreak of the Omicron variant, the current directive of 14-day quarantine for groups who are considered at risk with Covid-19 infections may be reduced to just 7 days. The Permanent Secretary for Public Health said that the Ministry of Public Health is considering reducing the time that people are kept in quarantine down to one week so that people will be able to deal with Covid-19 appropriately but then be able to get back to their normal lives more quickly. The permanent secretary pointed out that the current treatment for […]

The story Covid-19 exposure quarantine may be reduced to 7 days as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I think that would be a good outcome. Particularly as Omicron infections will have a big impact on those available for work under the current restrictions. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know the Thai government's current stance on anyone who has the misfortune to sit near someone on the plane who tests positive on arrival in Thailand ? Do they still lock you up for 14 days??

It's one of the main things stopping me booking a trip at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Robbie_Flyer said:

Does anyone know the Thai government's current stance on anyone who has the misfortune to sit near someone on the plane who tests positive on arrival in Thailand ? Do they still lock you up for 14 days??

It's one of the main things stopping me booking a trip at the moment.

Yes, mandatory quarantine due to Guilt By Proximity. Keep in mind, that it is unlikely that the process is so efficient that you would be released if that person ends up having a false positive. So imagine sitting in quarantine because of another person who is free to go about their business.  So to quote Dirty Harry "you feeling lucky?"

it's not because Omicron puts fewer people in the hospital that we have to reason with Delta concepts...

Omicron: the viral load would reach a peak 3 to 6 days after the onset of symptoms, according to a new study

So, let's see if you are false positive upon arrival in LOS, it just adds 7 days to quarantine including an ATK test on day 5 & 6, if negative then free to go. Isn't it the same thing as being in a SandBox or ASQ for 7 days? It says on the article "may be" nothing confirmed yet, Thailand has been flip flopping around too many times and can't make a decision when the time comes.

21 minutes ago, ace035 said:

So, let's see if you are false positive upon arrival in LOS, it just adds 7 days to quarantine including an ATK test on day 5 & 6, if negative then free to go. Isn't it the same thing as being in a SandBox or ASQ for 7 days? It says on the article "may be" nothing confirmed yet, Thailand has been flip flopping around too many times and can't make a decision when the time comes.

It's good to be patient and flexible with changes. They might be a great improvement in there. 

Everything is in flux and really positive changes are possible soon. Be patient and expect good news!  :-) 

On 1/15/2022 at 9:02 PM, Vince said:

It's good to be patient and flexible with changes. They might be a great improvement in there. 

Everything is in flux and really positive changes are possible soon. Be patient and expect good news!  :-) 

Will find out this coming Thursday if they cut down the quarantine from 10 to 7days for false positive with asymptomatic or mild symptoms. Also, about the reinstatement of T & G but another PCR-test on Day 6 or 7 which I totally disagree on it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Will find out this coming Thursday if they cut down the quarantine from 10 to 7days for false positive with asymptomatic or mild symptoms. Also, about the reinstatement of T & G but another PCR-test on Day 6 or 7 which I totally disagree on it.

The whole world is still looking at omicron numbers.

I don't see Thailand aggressively throwing open it's doors like Mexico or adopting a highly targeted Swedish program. 

I see things settling by June, with clear signaling by April. 

Until then it will be small measures and caution.

I feel like a fortune teller :-) 

• Like 1

I no longer trust them with all their flip flopping and constant changes.  Making any kind of travel plans is really difficult when they keep doing that.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

I no longer trust them with all their flip flopping and constant changes.  Making any kind of travel plans is really difficult when they keep doing that.

I welcome their flexible willingness to adapt. I don't mind changes, since I think the changes coming up are going to make travel easier :-) 

I agree it makes it hard to plan travel, not knowing what will happen. 

If they could come up with a way to make things more predictable that would be a nice improvement. 

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I welcome their flexible willingness to adapt. I don't mind changes, since I think the changes coming up are going to make travel easier :-) 

I agree it makes it hard to plan travel, not knowing what will happen. 

If they could come up with a way to make things more predictable that would be a nice improvement. 

I welcome the flexibility shown having a carrot put in front of my face and then taken away and then put back in front of me again, because...reasons, which somehow makes things easier.  🤦‍♂️

Do tell how cancelling test & go and then changing the expiry date a few times somehow made things easier. 🤔

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1

Just now, samiam123 said:

Rrright. So you welcome then cancelling test & go and then re-instating it and then maybe cancelling it again?  You think that is accomplishing something somehow? 🤦‍♂️

Let's pretend they can only have 1 policy per year, and can't change it until next year. 

If we had the policy from a year ago there might be no flights into Thailand, no sandbox, and no test and go. 

And if they have to pick "one policy per year" I think they're a bit cautious and might choose the more restrictive ones. 

So I'm not going to complain. Do I think it was a good idea to reverse test and go "indefinitely"? Absolutely not. 

But I don't make policy. 

Just be patient. Good news is coming! 

• 2 weeks later...

So, why is it still 10 days if you have false positive to quarantine? You wrote an article saying it will reduced to 7 days. Well, because of the "may be" thing.

On 1/18/2022 at 5:19 PM, Vince said:

The whole world is still looking at omicron numbers.

I don't see Thailand aggressively throwing open it's doors like Mexico or adopting a highly targeted Swedish program. 

I see things settling by June, with clear signaling by April. 

Until then it will be small measures and caution.

I feel like a fortune teller :-) 

It makes a mockery of being fully vaccinated and booster also, because like me, if flying in from England,,  fully vaccinated and test negative before boarding the plane, then 24hours later, arrive in Bangkok, n tested again, n negative, then I've been told, transfer to pattaya, n have to do 7days n nights, in quarantine, in isolation in hotel room, not allowed out the room, then a test half way through 7days negative n test before last day n negative. So all this,, where am I ment to catch covid from?? Negative on arrival, fully vaccinated, negative test, n still locked in a room, how could I catch covid?? I've got more chance of maybe catching it after I've left the room, so what is the 7days for???

So, what's the deal with his COVID-19 exposure changes from 10 days to 7 days? Anybody? Looks like, the Thai government dropped the ball on this as usual as always. I kept hearing from other farangs that in case of a false positive either Day 1 or Day 5, still 10 days on AQ or hospital. WTF Anutin.

since Omicron is in Thailand at locals already,
it will spread without some infected travellers,

if they tested all Thais 3 times in about 8 days like travellers
it will show the real local infection numbers,
but for now government keep numbers low
to show how its crazy testing of arrivals will help to avoid infections

The suggestion put forth by the permanent secretary, though, would be a 1-week quarantine for anybody who came in contact with an infected person. But before the quarantine could finish the at-risk person would need to take an antigen test on the 5th day and then again on the 6th day.

If those 2 tests come back with negative results, they will be allowed to end their quarantine and go back to normal, go out, go to work, and live their life. But, in an abundance of safety, they would be required to test again on the 9th or 10th day after their original quarantine, just to make sure no infection arises that had gone previously undetected.

Don't the people who come up with this stuff ever stop and ponder for a moment how they would feel about it if they were subject to it?

• Angry 1

if you invited guests (to your country)
you should not look under their shirts

so travellers are not like guests,
more like very suspicious people to stay better abroad