News Forum - Omicron stabilising, officials consider easing Covid-19 restrictions

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Somchai said:

The tourism high season is quickly coming to an end, so there is not much time to think about easing the restrictions.

The next high season will start in November, 11 months from now.

The way things are going tourism wise, low season figures are now high season figures. Get what you can.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

For the areas with the highest per head infection ratio. Sounds like a good plan, or not? 

Phuket with still over 400/day, but not even a million people on the Island. Bangkok, 9 or 14 million, but just 7-800 new, daily tested as infected 

Great news if you only test a thousand a day and get 7-800 positive tests.

Whoops that is 70%-80% infected.

Reality is they don't test in large numbers at least enough to give a verifiable number of infections. 

They are truly disinclined to report true results that may show the govt in a poor light or more importantly go against their push for tourism.

The people who have possible infections are in denial for many reasons, financial being prime, and will not go to a field hospital etc to be incarcerated for 14 days.

It's a tough nut that we are all going to have to weather for a few months till the infections decrease, be thankfull it is Omicron that is dominant and fewer (maybe even one of us) may not die as a result.🙃

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Nonsense, there hasn't been anything like COVID since the Spanish flu in the 1920s'. All of the the diseases you mentioned are not easily transmitted whereas COVID, like influenza, is airbound and transmitted very easily. And, as the number of deaths illustrates, it can be quite deadly.

As for vaccines, they do NOT prevent infection and onward transmission. They do prime the immune system to respond rapidly to infection and reduce or elliminate the viral load hence avoiding serious or lethal results.

Nobisenessofurs mentioned tuberculosis in his list of disease. Now are you saying that tuberculosis "is not easily transmitted"?

TB is spread from person to person through the air. When people with lung TB cough, sneeze or spit, they propel the TB germs into the air. A person needs to inhale only a few of these germs to become infected.

Source: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis

Oh yeah, this source is also mentioning the 1.5 million deaths from Tuberculosis in 2020 comparing to 1.8 from covid in 2020. Not a word in the news at all (1.5 vs 1.8 = covid wins) but covid...well we all know. Maybe because covid killed so many in the west, not tuberculosis. I do not know.

23 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (diphtheria, tetanus,measles, rubella, chickenpox,hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! She does all these things except IMMUNIZATION. If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived.

Well desperate times call for desperate measures. Aside from the factual inaccuracies in your rant, I feel saddened that you and your ilk have doubled down on your beliefs. Mind you I empathise with your position after all the FDA, the organisation pushing the vaccines, has blood on its hands over its egregious behaviour over the OxyContin crisis that realized the deaths of 500,000 Americans. However, each situation should be judged on its individual circumstances, which requires nuanced thought. The current crisis we are facing does not lend itself well to those who view it through an ideological lens. Unfortunately that’s where we are at this point in history.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ninja said:

Yep........ I could swear we were told that two doses of the vaccine and nobody would ever get covid .   I am sure it was even on all the TV stations .      oooooops

sure reminds me how things go when someone is charged with something in court.   if his story doesn't work.... he tries another one

aren't we on about the fourth or fifth "story"  now ?    ahhh,  who's counting.   Just believe those "experts"

And your solution is?? I presume you have a better solution??

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Transam said:

Over 50+ years back I had a TB jab, TB has now been virtually eradicated from the UK by the vaccination program.

It pays to be vaccinated by known threats, such as Covid...I have lost count on how many jabs I have had in my lifetime that have kept me safe from nasty stuff.

Sadly, Chicken Pox and Herpes simplex shows up now and again with me, sadly no vaccine... 

Athough younger than you, I also got vaccinated for TB with the BCG vaccine as a kid in France as it was compulsory. It is not anymore since 2007.

But vaccination alone is not why TB has been "almost" eradicated in the Uk . Pratically all being diganosed nowadays with TB in the UK escape death from this disease because of effective treatments.

About 150 years ago, it caused about one in eight of all
deaths in the UK. But by the 1980s, through a combination
of better housing and nutrition, the early detection and
isolation of cases, and effective treatments it had become
uncommon in this country

Source: http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=828

Vaccination alone could not eradicate TB as it is explained here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/bcg-tb-vaccine-questions-answers/

Vaccination is obviously a great weapon against a disease, however it is just one, very rarely the only one. And also, vaccination usually target the groups whom need it, never entire popualtions without looking at the basic scientific balance benefits/risks as we are doing now with the covid vaccines.

However this was not my point in my previous post but you almost mentioned it without knowing it by saying that TB has been eradicated in the UK (although not quite true as the sources above show). This was my point:

" Oh yeah, this source is also mentioning the 1.5 million deaths from Tuberculosis in 2020 comparing to 1.8 from covid in 2020. Not a word in the news at all (1.5 vs 1.8 = covid wins) but covid...well we all know. Maybe because covid killed so many in the west, not tuberculosis. I do not know. "

Yes eradicated (almost) in the UK and in the western world, hence not one word in the news about the 1.5 million that died from TB in 2020 but 24/7 for those that died of covid in the most incredible and fanatic way in 2020. The vast majority of the 1.5 millions that died from TB are not in the West so nobody is interested is my conclusion.

20 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Please provide the actual quotes of as you call rightwing news saying not too vaccinate.

Don't be obtuse.

One could hardly watch a an evening FOX broadcast to not come to the conclusion that maybe the vaccines do some good, for some, but everyone should question their effectiveness and assume every government and public health expert opinion is lying.  Primarily it is the tired partisan nonsense about Biden and Dems who supposedly want to take away freedom and impose communism via various forms of authoritarian social controls, nothing to do with public health.  And their ratings. These ghouls all take the vaccines. They are responsible for multiple 100k of mass death now they take aim on the children, despicable.  Even an an endorsement, like Hannity's congealed in a  fatty lump of however's and lies is not an endorsement at all. As long as we have people thinking for themselves this will plague never ends in US.  Just hear this morning mom has symptoms plus covid-19 positive test going to doctor tomorrow. I think if she had not been fully vaxXed and boosted, we would be in a very dangerous spot at her age. Her mind rotted from 25 years of this right-wing propaganda from her Fox and Friends even, fortunately not demented enough yet to have fallen for the anti-vaccination lies.

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-host-advises-viewers-235459824.html

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, palooka said:

Great news if you only test a thousand a day and get 7-800 positive tests.

Whoops that is 70%-80% infected.

Reality is they don't test in large numbers at least enough to give a verifiable number of infections. 

They are truly disinclined to report true results that may show the govt in a poor light or more importantly go against their push for tourism.

The people who have possible infections are in denial for many reasons, financial being prime, and will not go to a field hospital etc to be incarcerated for 14 days.

It's a tough nut that we are all going to have to weather for a few months till the infections decrease, be thankfull it is Omicron that is dominant and fewer (maybe even one of us) may not die as a result.🙃

I heard that a relative in Thailand who works in a field hospital and does tests and injections has said that at least 20-30K a day are testing positive using ATK/RAT. But Thais are definitely not telling anyone, and they do not report those numbers.  The numbers in Aust include the ATK/RAT tests - but no one is locked up if they test positive - and the Govt gives them money if they cannot work - Thais get nothing from Govt is they cannot work so they avoid it like the plague pandemic. 

• Like 2