News Forum - Woman stole 59b of food, stabbed Mini Big-C staff to escape

Thaiger

6 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

For 60 THB she could also stop at some random restaurant and actually give them a full healthy meal. 

But she did not have the 60 thb cash,that's why she stole the items.

She and the kids would have had to do a "dine and dash" if they went to a restaurant.

either way a sad reflection on the times and I expect there will be more sad stories along these lines.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ynwaps said:

Next time just teach your kids how to steal for them self

Sage advice.

"Shop lift for your kids and you feed them for a day.  Teach them to shoplift and you feed them for a lifetime." 

• Haha 6

A sad story indeed. There's no (or extremely little) social safety net in Thailand, and many other countries in Asia in fact.

I wonder what they think when they read that US states paid $2,000-$3,000 a month (unemployment benefit + extra federal benefit) for over a year, or the equivalent of 15,000-25,000 baht in purchasing power parity.

• Like 1

i feel bad for the lady and her kids.also the one stabbed.very sad she had to steal to feed her kids.i hope things will be considered and she can make amends with out jail.no doubt she needs help.the govt should do more durning this time to help more people who are suffering.maybe more locals can help start a food bank.just something is needed for sure.i know she done wrong but think what you might do if your kids were hungry and you had no money?chock dee to her and the kids.and i hope the lady stabbed makes a fast recovery as well.chock dee to both sides.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leo said:

A sad story indeed. There's no (or extremely little) social safety net in Thailand, and many other countries in Asia in fact.

I wonder what they think when they read that US states paid $2,000-$3,000 a month (unemployment benefit + extra federal benefit) for over a year, or the equivalent of 15,000-25,000 baht in purchasing power parity.

More homeless in usa then Thailand , 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leo said:

wonder what they think when they read that US states paid $2,000-$3,000 a month (unemployment benefit +

Really...?

What, to everyone without a job?

• Like 1

Im not condoning what she did the knife attack was just plain stupid, but to me there seems to be an over reaction from the staff over 59 baht, she also could have got herself killed what would Big C do then? probably make the staff pay the 59 baht.

Surely they must have some policy in place for staff protection

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 2:46 AM, Scribble said:

Kids saying they are hungry is not desperate times though. My kids grandma (yai) will stop at nothing too as soon as they say the word 'hiw'. Within 10 seconds she has a sugary snack with no nutritional value down their throats. When I was a kid I would be told to wait until the next meal time and be quiet.

What an out of touch post.

One lady was desperate enough to steal food for her kids

Your kids want a snack......

The headline and summary is a bit misleading. It should have read "violent criminal commits attempted murder while caught shoplifting, in front of her own children." 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:51 AM, PapayaBokBok said:

Agreed  Jelly sandwiches on white bread and soda---should take her kids away--on a rough path already

Right? All carbs. If she eats like that she's probably on some crazy sugar rush. :-D 

21 hours ago, Leo said:

Yes, the lack of a safety net is tragic. But committing attempted murder is hardly a good approach. 

And the US was pumping stimulus money into their economy to avoid it from tanking during the COVID.  I wouldnt call that a safety net really. 

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What an out of touch post.

One lady was desperate enough to steal food for her kids

Your kids want a snack......

You either didn't read the article, don't have kids or both. Jelly, bread items and soda is a snack.

She was driving somewhere and they 'started complaining' so she stopped at mini big C. It doesn't say they were malnourished and poor. They were just starting to complain as kids do.

And she didn't have any money with her, not that she didn't have any money to her name. Unless she stole the petrol too.

Could have been driving a Benz for all we know.

Edited by Scribble

On 1/15/2022 at 8:16 PM, Poolie said:

She didn't have 60bht. She was skint. She nicked 60bht worth.

Nicked.....is that UK slang.  Nicked in the revised American English means to barely touch

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:05 PM, Leo said:

Not quite true. If you go to a Buddhist temple at noon they'll let you have the left overs. Many poor or not so poor people do. Also, if she went to the temple the monks wouldn't let the kids go hungry. The mother undoubtedly knew this but went the easy way of stealing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vince said:

Right? All carbs. If she eats like that she's probably on some crazy sugar rush. :-D 

Also if in a shop like that wouldn't something healthy like a can of tuna or milk be easier to steal for ur kids?

Just now, PapayaBokBok said:

Also if in a shop like that wouldn't something healthy like a can of tuna or milk be easier to steal for ur kids?

You know, you're right. She'll have to steal a knife to spread the jelly, and some paper plates or napkins to hold the sandwiches. 

Whereas the kids could just drink milk out of the carton, once opened (steal a can opener?) they can eat the tuna and drink the tuna water out of the can. 

Weird how some violent criminal mom's just dont think ahead while shoplifting, eh? 

On 1/16/2022 at 5:05 AM, Leo said:

Indeed. The kleptocrats that run the country and own 90%+ of the economy have a lot to answer for.

It's easy to criticize the shoplifter and level accusations of drug taking, but the Thai working class is frankly oppressed and exploited by a tiny minority who own the vast majority of the wealth of the country.

The wealth inequality in Thailand is stain on the nation and we should all pity a mother who feels compelled to steal so that her children can eat and lash out with a knife when apprehended

• Like 1

Sad reality in Big cities. This scene is going to grow further, with two children the mother has to steal for 1 time food, see the condition of the house. She would be sinking in debt. Now with the stab charges the children's  would need to beg in the streets or to be sent back to the home town to live like orphans.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:53 PM, Vince said:

You know, you're right. She'll have to steal a knife to spread the jelly, and some paper plates or napkins to hold the sandwiches. 

Whereas the kids could just drink milk out of the carton, once opened (steal a can opener?) they can eat the tuna and drink the tuna water out of the can. 

Weird how some violent criminal mom's just dont think ahead while shoplifting, eh? 

Im a 7-11 regular--the jelly comes in a squeeze tube....i dont eat PBn J with plate or napkins---also have tuna in my room and its pull top cans--can get the tuna already with mayo n corn...dip the bread in that!!!

Steal smarter--not harder..shes needs to work on her game----I however pay for all my togo snackin!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Im a 7-11 regular--the jelly comes in a squeeze tube....i dont eat PBn J with plate or napkins---also have tuna in my room and its pull top cans--can get the tuna already with mayo n corn...dip the bread in that!!!

Steal smarter--not harder..shes needs to work on her game----I however pay for all my togo snackin!!!

Well put. I want to read stories about shoplifting with some style and/or planning. These impulsive shoplifters just get caught and get all stabby. 

So uncouth.