News Forum - Police find Covid-19 infected missing Russian tourist… In his own hotel room

Thaiger

17 hours ago, Johnnyb2 said:

Maybe you inform me about total death rates and the real course of death of any nation during covid. I would like to know those numbers. Especially in Thailand. What are people really dying of? Then we can compare. 

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Happy to oblige. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

(apologies for this repost, but it seems apropos)

"Died from omicron...errr...with omicron...FRITH omicron"

"I heard he was shot in the ball-sac with a crossbow, and had cancer, but never mind that..."

Edited by AMc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

If the government is asking me to do that then I would leave this country. Simple as that.

I come to Thailand to enjoy what it is, not try to change it by asking Thailand copy what my country does.

This country is my home. I have a house and a farm here, I have a Thai wife and a Thai child with her. 
Soon I will be Permanent Resident and would even theoretically be allowed to gain Thai Citizenship.

So I fully disagree with you, that I would not be allowed to criticize this government. I am.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 12:59 PM, palooka said:

Maybe that's why those countries have high death rates also.

They have high death rates because all deaths are covid related in their books. Haven't you noticed no flu deaths, cancer, nor other deaths being reported......I have and many others also.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

They have high death rates because all deaths are covid related in their books. Haven't you noticed no flu deaths, cancer, nor other deaths being reported......I have and many others also.

Provisional Mortality Statistics, Jan 2020 - Oct 2021 | Australian Bureau of Statistics (abs.gov.au)

Australia 121,000+ jan - oct 2021. Total deaths from Covid Australia 2+ years 55.

Wonder what all the others died from then?

6 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

And don't forget war deaths. 

Covid related.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, BlueSphinx said:

I don't know whether Russia requires a PCR-test before flight, maybe a different test was used.  It would actually make it worse if he did board for Thailand on a negative PCR-test and on arrival in Thailand was tested PCR-positive. 

I was meaning that he wouldn’t be able to travel to Thailand due to Thai government rules without a pre-flight PCR within 72 hours of departure 

12 hours ago, HighSo said:

This country is my home. I have a house and a farm here, I have a Thai wife and a Thai child with her. 
Soon I will be Permanent Resident and would even theoretically be allowed to gain Thai Citizenship.

So I fully disagree with you, that I would not be allowed to criticize this government. I am.

This country is also my home, I have land, house, condo, Thai wife and Thai child here likewise. But then again my home country is just Thailand's neighbor so I can go back to where I came from quite conveniently heck I can even drive back to home. That's beside the point though.

But I don't think there's any valid reason to disagree with the government with regards to mask wearing. Thailand is not the only government that mandates this, practically all other countries in the world requires mask wearing + other measures to reduce spread of disease. The difference is some other countries could be more strict while others could be more lax but mask wearing is generally agreed upon by almost all countries and all major health organizations.

I don't see a reason not to wear a mask if it is for my own health and safety and to other people as well. Btw the survival rate of Covid isn't 99.9%, here's some data from today:

Capture.thumb.JPG.b3bafd03d8c63178cafaccd66f942e75.JPG

Some simple old mathematics will tell you that the actual survival rate is 98.3% 

So I fully disagree with you, if wearing masks can save that 1.7% of people (they are people right?) and is mandated by the government then I will. I am.

Edited by Noble_Design

2 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

This country is also my home, I have land, house, condo, Thai wife and Thai child here likewise. But then again my home country is just Thailand's neighbor so I can go back to where I came from quite conveniently heck I can even drive back to home. That's beside the point though.

But I don't think there's any valid reason to disagree with the government with regards to mask wearing. Thailand is not the only government that mandates this, practically all other countries in the world requires mask wearing + other measures to reduce spread of disease. The difference is some other countries could be more strict while others could be more lax but mask wearing is generally agreed upon by almost all countries and all major health organizations.

I don't see a reason not to wear a mask if it is for my own health and safety and to other people as well. Btw the survival rate of Covid isn't 99.9%, here's some data from today:

Capture.thumb.JPG.b3bafd03d8c63178cafaccd66f942e75.JPG

Some simple old mathematics will tell you that the actual survival rate is 98.3% 

So I fully disagree with you, if wearing masks can save that 1.7% of people (they are people right?) and is mandated by the government then I will. I am.

These numbers are totally distorted. The case number must be at least 5-10 times higher, as most most people get sick and never get tested. So the majority of cases are undiscovered, because never tested. Let’s stick with the lower end, 5 times. 1.500.000.000 cases

Furthermore the numbers of death is way lower, because someone with cancer stage 4, diabetes and high blood pressure who died at the age of 93 will count as a COVID death just because that he was positive PCR-tested before.

So a at least kinda realistic case number would be at least 1.500.000.000, while the realistic death number is more likely something like 1.000.000, based for example on the study of one doctor in Germany who examined „COVID death“ people and he concluded that around 80% didn’t died of COVID but of comorbidities, and several other similar studies worldwide confirmed that. I am not allowed to link them here, but you can Google them.

Then you end up with a realistic and undistorted survival rate of around 99.93%, which was confirmed by numerous scientists all over the world already as well. The survival rate for people under 30 is actually 99.99%.

But as you seem to love blindly looking at official numbers instead of using the thing between your ears to question and interpret them correctly:
Have a look at Africa. No masks there, low vaccination rates and the lowest case numbers and death numbers in the world in relation to the population.

Look at Tanzania, they had no COVID case and no COVID death since months, despite a vaccination rate of 2% and no masks inside the whole country, outdoors and indoors.
And still people are not dropping dead like flies, I have several friends living in Zanzibar and there everything is completely normal, no masks, no restrictions, no dead people.

You can continue to be an obedient citizen not questioning your authorities and even be proud of it, but instead you might start criticizing not just your authorities but maybe even yourself.

• Like 2

The search was called off when he was found in his own hotel room, having come back of his own volition after taking a walk on the beach and clearing his head. The Tourist Police have questioned the Russian man about the incident.

And that's it? So, staying in the room, if tested positive, but you can go to the beach? And after you stay again in the room, like nothing happened? What BS is that? Anyone thinks, he was wearing a mask and/or staying away from others, on the way to and on the beach?  Has anyone ask, in which 7/11, family mart he bought something to drink, where he went for food? No? Ah, ok then!

On 1/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, Changnam43 said:

The mask below the nose is not a good look for someone who is covid positive.

That is, in my experience with these tourists, the usual way to wear it. There is another one, not wearing it at all. Ok, the old Europeans  are following close, so it is not just the Russians. Afaik

On 1/14/2022 at 12:52 PM, Johnnyb2 said:

Because most tourists arrive from open countries that don't have strict mask policies if any at all, and to them the mask fetish of Thailand is crazy. Many countries adapted to the batman Wu flu already and live close to normal lives. I hope it's what people aspire to do here as well, but i am not convinced after almost two years of mask mandates, emergency laws , restrictions, and lockdowns.

The main reason is:

NO ONE CARES! The tourists are on holiday, the law enforcer have the problem with the image of Phuket as a "tourist's welcome" spot. How many times I have seen, that BiB's are just short looking but quickly looking the other way! 

If the law enforcer (oxymoron for BiB's, isn't it?) would charge the 2k for first time offenders, the 6 or xxk for the second, that would quickly circle in social medias.

But , perhaps, would leave another mark on the "image"!

On 1/15/2022 at 7:46 AM, nobusinessofurs said:

No, I haven't noticed that.

Perhaps you have not looked into the statistics.

On 1/14/2022 at 6:22 AM, Johnnyb2 said:

Maybe you inform me about total death rates and the real course of death of any nation during covid. I would like to know those numbers. Especially in Thailand. What are people really dying of? Then we can compare. 

The number of excess deaths above the mean in Thailand not attributed to Covid would imply that the actual number of covid deaths could be substantially higher than government figures

https://djay.github.io/covidthailand/#excess-deaths

https://github.com/djay/covidthailand/wiki/deaths_excess_covid_5y_all.png

deaths_excess_covid_5y_all.png

Edited by js89
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 9:59 PM, palooka said:

Maybe that's why those countries have high death rates also.

The epidemic of obesity and related diseases - e.g. type 2 diabetes - was and is widespread in several hard hit countries. 

Boris Johnson is said to have made the COVID -> obesity link, but Biden has not, to my knowledge, advocated anything other than mask wearing and jabs. 

COVID has exposed a health crisis that is largely still being ignored. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, js89 said:

The number of excess deaths above the mean in Thailand not attributed to Covid would imply that the actual number of covid deaths could be substantially higher than government figures

Excess deaths could be from economic harms from restrictions: suicide, murder, or lack of care due to poverty or depression. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vince said:

Excess deaths could be from economic harms from restrictions: suicide, murder, or lack of care due to poverty or depression. 

Yes, they could. That's why I noted that " the actual number of covid deaths could be substantially higher than government figures".  There is a very substantial divergence here that's worth pointing out...

6 minutes ago, js89 said:

Yes, they could. That's why I noted that " the actual number of covid deaths could be substantially higher than government figures".  There is a very substantial divergence here that's worth pointing out...

Yes, my point is they might not be higher "from COVID" but could be collateral damage deaths from policies reacting to covid ("not COVID related" but economic). 

And I'm not saying just Thai policies - other nations restrictions impacted Thailand's economy.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:04 PM, Rain said:

I'm rather taken aback as to how seemingly intelligent people might take any of the "official" or "documented" numbers to be real or true. 

Indeed, you are wise in the ways of data manipulation Mr Rain :-) 

20 hours ago, HighSo said:

These numbers are totally distorted. The case number must be at least 5-10 times higher, as most most people get sick and never get tested. So the majority of cases are undiscovered, because never tested. Let’s stick with the lower end, 5 times. 1.500.000.000 cases

Since you said actual infection numbers should be higher because the majority of cases are undiscovered (could be the case initially but now with widespread availability & affordability of ATK kits that shouldn't be the problem anymore) then the number of deaths should also be higher because a lot of other deaths were not Covid tested too. So actually Covid deaths shouldn't be 5.5 million for the past 2 years but should be  5-10 times higher (based on your assumption). Let’s stick with the lower end, 5 times. 25 million cases 

So a at least kinda realistic case number would be at least 1.500.000.000, while the realistic death number is more likely something like 1.000.000, based for example on the study of one doctor in Germany who examined „COVID death“ people and he concluded that around 80% didn’t died of COVID but of comorbidities, and several other similar studies worldwide confirmed that. I am not allowed to link them here, but you can Google them.

You are actually allowed and even encouraged to provide links so that we can have a meaningful discussion based on actual facts and data rather than assumptions or something vague like "but you can Google them". If you look at the top of this forum you will find it:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.e4b53bb0c9a241f705954cc47ce531a7.JPG

Then you end up with a realistic and undistorted survival rate of around 99.93%, which was confirmed by numerous scientists all over the world already as well. The survival rate for people under 30 is actually 99.99%.

Source please. 

But as you seem to love blindly looking at official numbers instead of using the thing between your ears to question and interpret them correctly:

Ok I shouldn't look at official numbers and instead should make assumptions based on...? And also I should refer to vague references and sources such as "you can Google them"? Ok 😆

Look at Tanzania, they had no COVID case and no COVID death since months, despite a vaccination rate of 2% and no masks inside the whole country, outdoors and indoors.
And still people are not dropping dead like flies, I have several friends living in Zanzibar and there everything is completely normal, no masks, no restrictions, no dead people.

You can continue to be an obedient citizen not questioning your authorities and even be proud of it, but instead you might start criticizing not just your authorities but maybe even yourself.

I'm glad you mentioned Tanzania because it got me researching for that country using your recommended method (Google 😆). And this is what popped up in the first page if you were to Google the phrase "tanzania covid". And I will provide you the link & sources that will pretty much dispute what you have claimed:

From the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/56242358

Covid: Does Tanzania have a hidden epidemic?

Despite growing evidence to the contrary, Tanzania's government continues to downplay the impact of coronavirus on the country.

The death of the country's president, John Magufuli, was announced on Wednesday.

He hadn't been seen in public for over two weeks fuelling speculation that he'd been suffering from Covid, although the government said he died from heart complications.

No official records

There are no publicly available records for recent deaths in Tanzania, and no information has been released on the impact of coronavirus since May last year, when 500 cases and 20 deaths were reported up to that point.

The authorities have insisted there is little to worry about, and have taken tough action against those they accuse of spreading "false information".

Well you can't report much if the government is actively trying to suppress the information.

What are doctors saying?
Hospital doctors have been forbidden from referring to the disease in public.

However, in a busy hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania's largest city, a doctor told the BBC there had been a marked increase in admissions of patients exhibiting respiratory symptoms consistent with Covid-19 over the past two months.

"There has also been an increase in patients requiring oxygen," he told us.

"The situation has been the same everywhere, in both public and private hospitals. Some patients are even buying oxygen for use at home.

"You can't put down Covid-19 because it is not recognised," he says, "so it puts you in an awkward position as a doctor, and we're getting no guidance on how to treat patients."

Again, how to report about Covid if the government is actively suppressing & denying information? This reminded me of the time South Africa under Thabo Mbeki practiced HIV/Aids denialism which ultimately caused about 350,000 deaths that could have been avoided. Here I'll give you a link from Harvard for this source : https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/spr09aids/ So are we seeing Covid denialism in Tanzania? Well read on below:

Some church leaders have spoken out
Charles Kitima, of the Tanzania Episcopal Conference, has said more than 25 priests have died in the country in the last two months, showing symptoms related to Covid-19.

Sixty nuns have also died with similar symptoms.

"This has never happened before, normally in two months we would lose maybe three or four due to old age, and other illnesses…we have to admit that we have a problem. Coronavirus is there."

Another significant moment was last month when the vice-president of Zanzibar, Seif Sharif Hamad, died from Covid - the first time a senior politician was publicly acknowledged to have had the disease.

Did your friends at Zanzibar told you about the death of their VP due to Covid? I guess it's completely normal for the VP to die of Covid. What did they say about no dead people from Covid there?

The World Health Organization is deeply concerned about the situation, and has urged Tanzania to start reporting coronavirus cases and share its data.

To date, Tanzania has not signed up for the international Covax vaccination sharing scheme, which has begun delivering to other countries in Africa.

This should explain the low vaccination rate. The government does not make any effort to procure them.

But wait that BBC news above is old news (March 2021). Here's something newer from https://www.helpage.org/newsroom/latest-news/tanzania-is-overcoming-hangover-after-long-period-of-covid19-denial/

After a long period of official denial that coronavirus exists in Tanzania, the government did a dramatic U-turn on COVID-19 policy in early 2021. But the country is facing major challenges to obtain enough vaccines, and to overcome hesitancy amongst the population to increase demand and uptake.

Deny the disease exist and voila there is no Covid! Just like what South Africa did (read above) with their HIV/Aids problem. Deny, deny, and deny.

“President John Magufuli said that through prayer God had delivered Tanzania from COVID-19,” Dr Edwin Mung’ong’o explained.

Just a prayer and Covid is gone. Why can't all other countries follow the same way? 🤣

This was the official position of the government, which it strictly adhered to and compelled others to follow suit. The publication of data on new cases of COVID-19 by sources other than the government became almost a criminal offence. Even in hospitals, doctors did not diagnose COVID-19, referring simply to “respiratory problems”.

Did Tanzania learned from North Korea? 😆

No official data on COVID-19 was available in Tanzania after the last update on 29 April 2020. But at some point in early 2021 it was reported that churches were holding funeral services for the dead every day. One church reported giving funeral services for up to eight people one day, then six on another day and so forth. It was suspected that these people most likely died of COVID-19. In early March 2021, one denomination reported that 25 of its priests and 60 nuns had died showing symptoms of COVID-19,” said Dr Mung’ong’o.

The BBC reported the same thing.

In March 2021, President Magafulli died, and his successor, Samia Suluhu Hassan, declared that Tanzania could not go on as it was. Government policy on COVID-19 took a 180 degree U-turn.

Ah the wonders of U-turn.

2 hours ago, js89 said:

Finally someone showing data and reference/sources rather than the usual assumptions or my friend told me this and that or go Google it yourself etc.

For what's it's worth:  I read an interesting assessment.  The strictest disease quarantine measures are an ANIMAL approach to the situation.  For example, chickens, pigs, cows, etc.  Immediate quarantine or CULL.  Coincidentally, the head head of China's Health Ministry is a veterinarian.