News Forum - Crocodile consumption craze caused by peak pork product prices

Thaiger

Marie Antoinette was famously attributed (or likely misattributed) as comment, when the people did not have any bread to eat, “Let them eat croc!” Er, or something like that. But the people of Thailand have taken it to heart; as pork prices surge across the country, many have turned to eating crocodile as an alternate source of meat. The pig price premiums are the result of the controversial spread of the African Swine Fever that has led to pig shortages and, in turn, pork shortages. And when (the cost of) pigs fly, people turn to alternative sources of meat and […]

The story Crocodile consumption craze caused by peak pork product prices as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Let them eat croc!” Er, or something like that. But the people of Thailand have taken it to heart;

Just don't let the croc' make a meal of you first ..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Cool 1

If they're not fed on corn (or animals raised on corn) croc meat could be a cleaner air alternative to pork :-) 

Me personally, I'm gonna keep it to a weekly Sunday only croc meat & 2 veg treat and not go 'hog wild' over croc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Tastes like fishy chicken, as far as I remember.

The only food you can compare to your shoes when you need a second opinion.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

The only food you can compare to your shoes when you need a second opinion.

Is that "tough and leathery" or "smells slightly nutty with hints of moldy cheese."? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Vince said:

Is that "tough and leathery" or "smells slightly nutty with hints of moldy cheese."? 

Hush, Puppy......🤓

22886232_1654048767971454_775309031278936961_n.thumb.jpg.cf7b68dea6b2ff64c30eefd87206c8f7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Vince said:

Pairs well with a 20 year Tawny Port.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I've had crocodile on NYE in Thailand 

My wife's family likes to eat all kinds of "exotic" foods on NYE

We still have property [our previous old homestead] in Taphan Hin in Phichit right on the Nan River - famous for it's riverine variety. 

On more than a few occasions have partaken of locally prepared croc and the good missus had secured the process of drying and pickling the tough old reptilians. 

Not too bad - straight up grilled steaks. Earthy with a distinctive gamey manner. 

Doesn't taste like chicken.

Waitress! I'll have the crocodile sandwich, and make it snappy. Oh, and put some chilli sauce on it too - I like something with a bite to it.

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Bought some croc tail in Makro before. Not bad. Similar to chicken. Makes a good pad Ka prao.

Processed store bought croc.

Terribly uncouth.

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Marie Antoinette was famously attributed (or likely misattributed) as comment, when the people did not have any bread to eat, “Let them eat croc!” Er, or something like that. But the people of Thailand have taken it to heart; as pork prices surge across the country, many have turned to eating crocodile as an alternate source of meat. The pig price premiums are the result of the controversial spread of the African Swine Fever that has led to pig shortages and, in turn, pork shortages. And when (the cost of) pigs fly, people turn to alternative sources of meat and 

McDonalds will have McCroc in its menu soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Got some Alligator, but that will be later.

Well I never imagined anything like this. Well, not for nearly five seconds anyway:

• Like 1