News Forum - Thailand continues pushing for tourism revenue despite Covid-19

Thaiger

31 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Can I request that you at least make an effort to keep up uncle Fred. I was replying to a post whereby someone said name any country A-Z where they don’t have airport tax. I give him the letter U as in the UK to explain that yes they do have airport tax but it’s applied fairly to all. Now please try to understand how these forums work. You are embarrassing yourself. 

But the way this seems will be applied(on airline ticket) will also be charged to everyone flying in, Thais also

Unless they go back to the old way of collecting it at the airport, like the old departure tax 

And by the way, so many countries I have visited have tourist tax

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But the way this seems will be applied(on airline ticket) will also be charged to everyone flying in, Thais also

Unless they go back to the old way of collecting it at the airport, like the old departure tax 

And by the way, so many countries I have visited have tourist tax

Agreed, except that would not be an airport tax. It’s an inbound or outbound flight tax and most of that air traffic for a country like Thailand is used by “foreigners”. 

As for the tourist tax comments, again I agree. But that’s not the comment I was replying to. 

14 hours ago, Rangers said:

Covid is fast becoming a forgotten thing here in the UK. Authorities, media and ministers finally admitting Omicron is not worth bothering about, its so mild it won't harm you and lasts 24 - 48 hours.

I believe Thailand will be the same soon, as will most countries. It could be a fantastic Songkran this year. 

Excellent news!

8 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Maybe Thailand should consider setting up an OnlyFans account.

You mean for people without working Air Conditioning? 

1 hour ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Maybe Thailand should consider setting up an OnlyFans account.

Several GoFundMe accounts might be much more practical - 

On 1/13/2022 at 10:21 PM, Thaiger said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has urged all government agencies to get behind the “Amazing Thailand New Chapter” tourism campaign being readied for launch by the end of January. According to a government spokesperson, the administration is pushing forward with tourism plans that the floundering economy so desperately needs, despite the growing spread of the Omicron variant and Covid-19 infections across the country. The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has created the new slogan and travel campaign to promote various tourist activities in Thailand. They are predicting between 5 million and 15 million people travelling to Thailand in 2022, with the projection […]

Thailand still has lots to offer being graced with beautiful lands, food and people. It will still be the easiest way to earn tourist money and the fastest to go back after pandemic despite its heavy reliance. No big deal with the 300Baht to me.

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agreed, except that would not be an airport tax. It’s an inbound or outbound flight tax and most of that air traffic for a country like Thailand is used by “foreigners”. 

As for the tourist tax comments, again I agree. But that’s not the comment I was replying to. 

Yes, it upsets you because they ask you to pay 300 baht as a tourist whereas Thais  come for free but aren't tourists. You could also show them   by not coming. 

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

Can I request that you at least make an effort to keep up uncle Fred. I was replying to a post whereby someone said name any country A-Z where they don’t have airport tax. I give him the letter U as in the UK to explain that yes they do have airport tax but it’s applied fairly to all. Now please try to understand how these forums work. You are embarrassing yourself. 

Sorry, I now realize it's about yo not wanting to pay. Very English of  you.

7 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Sorry, I now realize it's about yo not wanting to pay. Very English of  you.

I'm English and I have no objections at all to paying an airport/tourist tax of a mere 300baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

I'm English and I have no objections at all to paying an airport/tourist tax of a mere 300baht.

You must be a good English guy, not a cheap one.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:40 PM, vlad said:

Being from the UK Loogfred i cannot board a flight without a clear PCR test prior to my flight. Therefore if i test Poss in BKK i have picked it up along the way either on the plane or Airport Transfers before i arrive for my PCR test at Bkk.

Or the virus hadn't had enough time to replicate. 

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

You were the one saying it was an unfair tax, because they don't charge it in the UK.  My answer is Noone in Thailand cares.  Why do you continue with your UK comparisons.  UK is ok but Thailand is not part of it. Thailand could charge arrival taxes for UK only because of high covid rates if it wanted to. As falangs and you as a falang tourists we really don't have a say.

You seem relatively intelligent but your stories change, so I take what you say with a grain of salt. In the mean time, I suggest your comparisons with the UK private.

I sorry if I'm harsh, but you initiate many conversations so criticisms are likely.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

You were the one saying it was an unfair tax, because they don't charge it in the UK.  My answer is Noone in Thailand cares.  Why do you continue with your UK comparisons.  UK is ok but Thailand is not part of it. Thailand could charge arrival taxes for UK only because of high covid rates if it wanted to. As falangs and you as a falang tourists we really don't have a say.

You seem relatively intelligent but your stories change, so I take what you say with a grain of salt. In the mean time, I suggest your comparisons with the UK private.

I sorry if I'm harsh, but you initiate many conversations so criticisms are likely.

These relished and wannabe intellectual ideals of cultural comparatives [and superlatives] have always left me blank. It's seems to be the only thing some have.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:59 PM, Burapha said:

Hopefully the Thais will soon fully acknowledge the virus is everywhere in Thailand,  as it is in the rest of the world

The thai mindset and knowledge stops at the thai borders.......I love to do the ole "where u from" which im asked daily for the past decade---when I actually give them the right answer I ask them to tell me 3 things about my country--since they seem so interested as "where Im from".......then comes the silence.......(chirp)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

The thai mindset and knowledge stops at the thai borders.......I love to do the ole "where u from" which im asked daily for the past decade---when I actually give them the right answer I ask them to tell me 3 things about my country--since they seem so interested as "where Im from".......then comes the silence.......(chirp)

Maybe once you say where you're from the quickly loose interest. When I say I'm from America, they follow up with what state then city. They might ask if I've been in Thai town in LA etc. They seem to ask many questions, but I speak Thai so there are communication problems. Thais seem to know a lot about the US, but I'm not sure about other countries. 

I'm a easy guy so they don't feel shy talking.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:26 AM, Soidog said:

What do you have to say when the government says it will go to 500 baht next year? Will it break the bank?

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

What do you have to say when the government says it will go to 500 baht next year? Will it break the bank?

Whether it is 1 baht, 100 baht, or 1,000 baht.  Basic business sense is that you lower the cost to "encourage" more customers and raise the cost to "discourage" additional customers.  

Do you go to a store to purchase something when it is "on sale" or just after the store raised the price.  

The amount is small but add that to the additional impediments that Thailand is already imposing on incoming tourists and frankly it just is a poor policy.  I would also suggest that the government would obtain far more revenue by adopting policies that increase the number of tourists coming into Thailand than they ever raise with this tourist fee.  

The average tourist spends it is estimated to be approximately 50,000 baht while vacationing in Thailand.  So assuming that all of that 50,000 is subject to the 7% VAT the average tourist brings in 3,500 baht in revenue to the Thai government.  So they gain 300 - 500 baht from each tourists that comes and lose 3,500 from each tourist that decides not to come.  Not to difficult to figure out which is a better approach, to say nothing of what is better for the thousands of taxi drivers, hotels, restaurants, and entertainment venues that go bankrupt due to few tourists. 

10 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Maybe once you say where you're from the quickly loose interest. When I say I'm from America, they follow up with what state then city. They might ask if I've been in Thai town in LA etc. They seem to ask many questions, but I speak Thai so there are communication problems. Thais seem to know a lot about the US, but I'm not sure about other countries. 

I'm a easy guy so they don't feel shy talking.

We seem to be in the same boat as I can speak thai and we are from same country

However it never goes beyond my answer--I assumed it was always to see of I am rich......AND hansum...

Ive considered living in Thaitown to get the vibe without visa hassles...never been asked one Q about USA

On 1/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, LoongFred said:

You must be a good English guy, not a cheap one.

Well done uncle Fred. Sharp as a marble as usual. 

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1