News Forum - Thailand continues pushing for tourism revenue despite Covid-19

Thaiger

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has urged all government agencies to get behind the “Amazing Thailand New Chapter” tourism campaign being readied for launch by the end of January. According to a government spokesperson, the administration is pushing forward with tourism plans that the floundering economy so desperately needs, despite the growing spread of the Omicron variant and Covid-19 infections across the country. The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has created the new slogan and travel campaign to promote various tourist activities in Thailand. They are predicting between 5 million and 15 million people travelling to Thailand in 2022, with the projection […]

The story Thailand continues pushing for tourism revenue despite Covid-19 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

It would really help if they included Pattaya in their sandbox list 😉

"Sex in the Sandbox"...marketing idea for Patts----(a moment of silence for the isaan girls)..and buffaloes..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Cool 1

Mexico just removed  _any_  requirements for entry, saying that all those questionnaires did not prevent virus from spreading and just complicated the arrival process.  The Thai government might learn something from Mexico. Good luck getting real tourists. 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Another slogan " Amazing Thailand new Chapter " Same old Rhetoric just another slogan nothing new to entice Tourists. Just more money to give away on what ? no nightlife , no bars no Entertainment . Why don't they tell us what what there offering, or any incentives to make us return ? My friend has just flown to Cancun off his plane whisked away to his Hotel. and the old wer'e predicting 5 to 15 million this time instead of 2 million as they predicted last year. Oh remember there predicting this number this year. I can't find a word to express these ministers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

They are predicting between 5 million and 15 million people travelling to Thailand in 2022,

Even Mystic Meg wouldn't be that optimistic .. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While the other hand comes up with ever more layers of bureaucracy and  restrictions to make sure that there is no chance of getting even remotely close to those numbers. 

• Like 2

Hopefully the Thais will soon fully acknowledge the virus is everywhere in Thailand,  as it is in the rest of the world and will hopefully quickly  allow travel to resume once it goes over the peak, without passes and other BS..  if we all have this problem, what is the point. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, kmc said:

They basically re-imposed the travel ban.  If travel is banned, how are tourists supposed to get in.  This is pure lunacy.

Thailand will not put a travel banned, they will just put nonsense tighter rules and restrictions.

• Like 1

B300 is neither here or there ... just open the bloody borders, I’d pay B30,000 just to get in hassle free. The virus is everywhere now, 3 of my neighbours here in U.K. have caught Omocron ..nothing worse than a cold.

These new restrictions will prolong the nightmare, I’ve heard that the Health Minister wants to suspend the test and go to July - 2m tourists for 2022 if their lucky. Just heard from a friend in Mexico, within 2 hours of landing, on the beach with a beer - everyone smiling and friendly at customs. .... so unlike the surly Thais.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MelBurn said:

Mexico just removed  _any_  requirements for entry, saying that all those questionnaires did not prevent virus from spreading and just complicated the arrival process.  The Thai government might learn something from Mexico. Good luck getting real tourists. 

Yeah, the Thais in charge really don't understand that Americans and Canadians are not going to travel halfway across the world just to end up in quarantine "hotel". Mexico is cheap, close by and not nearly as restrictive. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, resetamy said:

Yeah, the Thais in charge really don't understand that Americans and Canadians are not going to travel halfway across the world just to end up in quarantine "hotel". Mexico is cheap, close by and not nearly as restrictive. 

One big problem with Mexico 

They don't fake kiss tourist's ass as much as they do in Thailand 

So they don't make them feel so special 

That's the drug so many are on

All the ones always moaning are addicted to Thailand 

No where else makes them finally feel special 

They ain't going nowhere   😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No they just like to Scam you rip you off and double price you thats never changed and never will. As your clued up Marc26. Can you name a country that charged you for leaving a Country ?

12 minutes ago, vlad said:

No they just like to Scam you rip you off and double price you thats never changed and never will. As your clued up Marc26. Can you name a country that charged you for leaving a Country ?

Where do you want to start    You can work though the alphabet  Australia-UK with a lot in between

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MelBurn said:

Mexico is right in a way but doing nothing, the "Bolsonaro" model in Brazil, seems not quite right. 

I'd have to say if the Thailand Pass had a one stop package all inclusive price for a stay in Phuket - tests, taxi, hotel, insurance, etc. that would be great. I could provide my medical history when I got there and get a booster or vaccine if I wanted it. If I got sick the packaged insurance covered it - that would be nice. 

4 hours ago, resetamy said:

The quarantine is definitely a worry. If it was a "stay cation" with golf resort access or beach access that's one thing. But the AQ in a Bangkok hotel seems uninviting. 

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has urged all government agencies to get behind the “Amazing Thailand New Chapter” tourism campaign being readied for launch by the end of January. According to a government spokesperson, the administration is pushing forward with tourism plans that the floundering economy so desperately needs, despite the growing spread of the Omicron variant and Covid-19 infections across the country. The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has created the new slogan and travel campaign to promote various tourist activities in Thailand. They are predicting between 5 million and 15 million people travelling to Thailand in 2022, with the projection […]

The story Thailand continues pushing for tourism revenue despite Covid-19 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is definitely the right thing to do. The Swedes recognized that economic damage from lockdowns was more severe and long lasting that short term effects of the pandemic, and that remedies must be highly targeted to avoid widespread impacts. 

This is great news! The people of Thailand need jobs and a better economy and I believe it can be done safely.

• Like 1

I don't see how the $50k insurance would be removed. The price offered by these Thai companies for 30 days is about 2,200 baht, so if vat is 7% the federal government get about 150 baht and don't need to take care of the tourists. They say is for insurance, but it's an insurance nobody would use so they pocket an extra 50 baht, risk free. Makes sense, given the fact of the Thai greediness.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, vlad said:

Bali, Indonesia had a departure tax for some years but believe it may have been rescinded now.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

7 hours ago, vlad said:

Another slogan " Amazing Thailand new Chapter " Same old Rhetoric just another slogan nothing new to entice Tourists. Just more money to give away on what ? no nightlife , no bars no Entertainment . Why don't they tell us what what there offering, or any incentives to make us return ? My friend has just flown to Cancun off his plane whisked away to his Hotel. and the old wer'e predicting 5 to 15 million this time instead of 2 million as they predicted last year. Oh remember there predicting this number this year. I can't find a word to express these ministers. 

Didn’t I read that starting April 1st they are giving tourists 300 baht when they arrive? I know it’s not much, but at least it’s a gift 😉

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

55 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Where do you want to start    You can work though the alphabet  Australia-UK with a lot in between

Difference is that in places like the UK everyone pays it. It’s an airport departure tax that ALL pay. Irrespective of nationality, race or tourist status. You may not like the tax, but it’s fair in that it’s applied evenly. Not just to the guests in the country. 

• Like 1