News Forum - Thailand News Update | Bad timing for new tourist tax in Thailand?

Thaiger

At precisely the same time the Thai government are trying to lure even a few travellers to come back to the Kingdom, the government will start collecting a 300 baht entry fee from foreign tourists starting on April 1. The fee is included in the Tourism and Sports Ministry’s “Amazing Thailand New Chapter” plan and the money will be for the maintenance and development of tourist attractions as well as accident and life insurance for tourists if, in the unfortunate event, a tourist is seriously injured or dies whilst on their trip.The new charge will be included in airfares. For land […]

The story Thailand News Update | Bad timing for new tourist tax in Thailand? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Any timing to do this is a bad timing. If they literally call it a tourist tax, what do they expect? Do they expect people to just accept that? Probably some rich tourists, but expats who live here for over 10 years have to pay this too if it's up to them. 

Then at least call it a whatever-tax and let everyone pay it, not only foreigners. You'll probably even make more money out of it too. 

41 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Any timing to do this is a bad timing. If they literally call it a tourist tax, what do they expect? Do they expect people to just accept that? Probably some rich tourists, but expats who live here for over 10 years have to pay this too if it's up to them. 

Then at least call it a whatever-tax and let everyone pay it, not only foreigners. You'll probably even make more money out of it too. 

Its 300 baht, omg. Yeah I agree all should pay, but if that busts your budget then you should stay home.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

12 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Its 300 baht, omg. Yeah I agree all should pay, but if that busts your budget then you should stay home.

I am home in Thailand. That's the problem. 

It's not about how much. It's about the shitty message. 

• Like 1

300 baht is here nor there for your average Western Tourist. As for using it for an insurance fund, I think all foreign tourist should have to have a travel insurance policy as mandatory to enter the country. Also the people hiring motor vehicles should be held accountable to make sure they are hiring a vehicle to a person with a valid licence to drive or ride that vehicle. The amount of serious accidents of tourists riding motor scooters & motorcycles must be a big drain on Thai resources.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

I am home in Thailand. That's the problem. 

It's not about how much. It's about the shitty message. 

But you aren't a permanent immigrant to Thailand 

You accepted those terms when deciding to live there

So you can't then complain when you aren't treated as any sort of permanent resident 

Because you aren't.....

PS....I'm not a permanent resident where I live and I accept the limitations 

The amount isn't in question, it's the principle of taxing arrivals. I have travel insurance and yet because it is unlimited, I have to get the AXA insurance because it states USD 50,000. So I've already been "done over" by the cost of bureaucracy. Tourists are like gold at the moment. They have already had to jump through so many hoops just to travel. So as I say 300 Baht has nothing to do with it. It's the principle. It may as well be 1,000,000... the disincentive could be want stops tourism.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But you aren't a permanent immigrant to Thailand 

You accepted those terms when deciding to live there

So you can't then complain when you aren't treated as any sort of permanent resident 

Because you aren't.....

PS....I'm not a permanent resident where I live and I accept the limitations 

We, at least I, am not talking about the terms in a certain country. If you look at it overall, to make someone who has a different race, pay more even if they pay tax (ok, from what someone said earlier, less than a Thai, but more than a tourist who pays 0) the least you can expect is to be treated at least differently than a tourist. 

If you look at it overall, this kind of behavior is just wrong and just because it's only 300 THB you say it's ok. Thanks to people like you, expats here have to pay so many unnecessary costs, which could easily be avoided if people like you also think it's wrong to pay more just because your colour is different, or your eyes are bigger. 

You might think 300 pffft. Well, it's every time you want to do something that this happens. So it's 300 x how often you want to do something. The prices might be higher for other things too. 

Don't just talk in a way that they are right by doing this because it's just wrong. Imagine letting black people in the west pay more for something that their white friend can do for free or less money... You are also saying that's ok if you accept this. Or are you gonna tell them then: Then don't move to America/Europe!

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Its not the amount nobuis its about Principle. We already pay Holiday and Covid insurence. Was it beneficial to us when we had to leave Thailand we had to cough up 500 tbt for that why ?

• Like 1

Hi To All.

How do we get a solid suggestion to the desk of our PM?

I’m a marketing guy.

I would suggest raising the arrival tax to b500 And to provide full COVID and accident insurance to “visitors” for the duration of their visas. 

Charge openly for this and publicize how “ Thailand  Takes Care”. This would help simplify one of the hoops that arrivers must go through to come here and be a very positive campaign .

The Thai insurance companies could underwrite the risks and there would be tons of $$$ left over for toilets and touristic amenities. “Long stay” expats could also contribute an additional b500 at renewal for the same coverage. 

7 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

We, at least I, am not talking about the terms in a certain country. If you look at it overall, to make someone who has a different race, pay more even if they pay tax (ok, from what someone said earlier, less than a Thai, but more than a tourist who pays 0) the least you can expect is to be treated at least differently than a tourist. 

If you look at it overall, this kind of behavior is just wrong and just because it's only 300 THB you say it's ok. Thanks to people like you, expats here have to pay so many unnecessary costs, which could easily be avoided if people like you also think it's wrong to pay more just because your colour is different, or your eyes are bigger. 

You might think 300 pffft. Well, it's every time you want to do something that this happens. So it's 300 x how often you want to do something. The prices might be higher for other things too. 

Don't just talk in a way that they are right by doing this because it's just wrong. Imagine letting black people in the west pay more for something that their white friend can do for free or less money... You are also saying that's ok if you accept this. Or are you gonna tell them then: Then don't move to America/Europe!

Good luck! 

But your premise was that Thailand is your home

You may consider it home, but you are nothing more than a glorified tourist in terms of immigration

You aren't a permanent immigrant in Thailand

That's what you have signed onto but now want to change the rules because you don't like them

Expats in Thailand often do that.

You all willingly decided to live in a country as temporary residents but then complain that you are treated as temporary residents 

It doesn't work that way.......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Good luck! 

You do realize that Thais flying into Thailand will have to pay this as well if it is added to the cost of your flight 

So your premise that you are being charged because of the color of your skin in completely false 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You do realize that Thais flying into Thailand will have to pay this as well if it is added to the cost of your flight 

So your premise that you are being charged because of the color of your skin in completely false 

Then explain why they call it a tourist tax, as Thai citizens also have to pay it? Or will they add it based upon which travel document you provide? 

35 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Then explain why they call it a tourist tax, as Thai citizens also have to pay it? Or will they add it based upon which travel document you provide? 

As someone said

Clumsy wording

But look at the tax you pay for hotel rooms in some cities/countries

In the US, they will add a tax to a hotel room for building a new stadium, you as a visitor will likely never use

I doubt very much they would be able to exempt Thais paying it on the airline ticket 

By the way

Although I made a point about not being permanent immigrants

If it were a tax you had to pay in person, I think it would be fair that expats with proof of residency be exempt from paying it

• Like 2

I don't know why people think that somehow taxing tourists is any different than taxing cigarettes or gas guzzling cars. 

If you look the governments around the world impose taxes on things they wish to DISCOURAGE.  That includes but is not limited to cigarettes, alcohol, gas guzzling cars, and gasoline, 

Governments around the world give subsidies to things they wish to encourage.  That includes but is not limited to electric cars, solar panels, wheat, corn, ethanol etc.  

Now 300 baht is not a lot of money but you have the Thailand tourist industry cratering.  If anything the government should be making things more attractive for the tourist to come to Thailand not less attractive. 

From a revenue standpoint they are shooting themselves in the foot.  The tourist spends money and most of what they spend gets taxed with a 7% VAT.  So they gain 300 baht from each tourist that comes but likely lose thousands of baht on the tourist that doesn't come. 

Is 300 baht going to be the breaking point for someone not visiting Thailand.  Who knows.  The draconian measures of covid tests prior to arrival, upon arrival, and quarantine are certainly already inhibiting those who wish to visit Thailand.  The 300 baht is just another nail in the coffin of tourism. 

Gloom, doom, doom, gloom. Another nail? By this forum, there isnt room unless you're nailing the nails. Give it time and the legendary golden goose will make a bow.